• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today at the feeder (3 Viewers)

The Red Breasted Grosbeaks have been coming to my feeders frequently as well. I have also been getting some Eastern Towhees. While not at a feeder I have also gotten a Pileated Woodpecker and a Red Headed Woodpecker. (sorry no clear pics of the red head)

Attachments

• 2504642123_01b78a6210.jpg
    2504642123_01b78a6210.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 2505481144_245f2f9730.jpg
    2505481144_245f2f9730.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 2477015924_a1bce47f79.jpg
    2477015924_a1bce47f79.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
on my fatballs had House Spaarows & Jackdaws on my Robin Feeder House Sparrow, Peanut Feeder Jackdaws & Rooks, Feeder with Bath Rook & on birdtable Ferrel Pigeons

I think we've seen hummers twice - one caught in garage and rescued...

Hooray for the rescue!

Hummers have been known to be attracted to the red emergency release handles found on US garage door openers in garages. Once in garages they sometimes become disoriented, can't find their way out, and you know the rest...

People have shared that painting the emergency release handle some color other than red has helped to stop attracting the hummers inside the garage.

good advice re: hummers - will try that - I do leave the top of the windows down a few inches so they can get back out... the c.wrens go in and out at will - love to look for insects - suspect that's also what hummers are doing.
laleo - love he pilieated photo - I have them here but always seem them flying...

Back home last night after being away for almost 3 weeks. The feeders were all empty and there's not a bird in sight this morning. I've refilled some of the feeders and am waiting to see what will show up.

My Friendly Birdie

Gertie & Bertie Birdie live in a wood house nesting box under the eaves of my garage, about 5' away from my front door. Their young took, I think, their first flight out of the box today.

Trying to get the hang og handholding my 200-500 on my 40D with battery grip.

Attachments

• birdie profile 1.jpg
    birdie profile 1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Gertie-Birdie.jpg
    Gertie-Birdie.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 58
It didn't take long for the birds to return.
Common Grackle was the first but soon followed by Blue Jays, Chickadees, Purple Finches, American Goldfinches, Song Sparrows, House Sparrows and American Crow.
One of my suet feeders disappeared while i was away, probably taken by a raccoon.

I finally got an indigo bunting to the feeder this past week. This is the first time one has actually visited the feeder because in the past I've had a niger feeder which requires the birds to hang upside down (redpolls, siskins, chickadees, goldfinces only). This year I have one which allows the birds to sit upright and it's been visited by the purple finches, house finches, goldfinches, rose-breasted grosbeaks, indigo buntings, chipping sparrows, mourning doves, and the occassionaly chickadee.

Scott

Last edited:
Crazed chipmunk.

Today there were three chipmunks and an eastern cottaintail rabbit feeding under the safflower feeder. One chipmunk walked right up to the back of the rabbit and poked its nose into the fur of the rabbit. It then chased the other two chipmunks away and came back to feed beside the rabbit. A few moments later it launched itself at the shoulder of the rabbit and chased it away as well. It then proceeded to fill its cheeks to overflowing with spilled safflower. It's a tough world out there when rabbits are getting mugged by chipmunks.
Scott

Crazed chipmunk.

Today there were three chipmunks and an eastern cottaintail rabbit feeding under the safflower feeder. One chipmunk walked right up to the back of the rabbit and poked its nose into the fur of the rabbit. It then chased the other two chipmunks away and came back to feed beside the rabbit. A few moments later it launched itself at the shoulder of the rabbit and chased it away as well. It then proceeded to fill its cheeks to overflowing with spilled safflower. It's a tough world out there when rabbits are getting mugged by chipmunks.
Scott
LOL. Great anecdote!

Turtle Doves at feeders

This pair of turtle doves are regular visitors at the sunflower feeders. They have a voracious appetite, but its always good to see them. They usually breed in the garden.We now have turtle, collared and stock doves plus wood pigeons. My ambition is to get a photo of all four at once.

Lewis

Attachments

• IMGP1033-t-doves-at-feeder-.jpg
    IMGP1033-t-doves-at-feeder-.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 61
Hi Jabberwocky,

Thank you for posting such a lovely photo. You are lucky having Turtle Doves visiting you regularly I have never seen any this far north, there again these days I see very few birds.

Look after them.

Ann :egghead:

I saw my first RT Hummingbird of the year on Sunday so I dug out a feeder and got it up on Monday. The hummingbirds are using it steadily so that's good because it is an old, beat-up feeder that I don't usually use but my others all got wrecked last year..

My guess is that they are Chipping Sparrows. The eyeline and rusty cap look fairly visible in the photo, and the size and shape look about right.

Well the biggest problem I have is the window I take their pictures thru is still covered with plastic from this winter, so it makes things a bit blurry. And of course my seriously lacking bird book doesn't help.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back