• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today at the feeder (1 Viewer)

Katy Penland said:
Hey, Dan, did you know about or get to see the Varied Thrush that was the first-ever reported on PEI, photo'd in January? I was entering my Project FeederWatch data and was looking at the Rare Bird reports and saw it. Here's the URL, second photo from the bottom of that page:

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/DataRetrieval/RareBird/RareBirdPhotos05_misc.htm
Unfortunately no. We were at the site within a couple of hours of the report but the thrush never re-appeared. The lady who reported it is a pro. photographer and managed asingle picture of the bird.
This has already been an amazing year for rarities here. First the thrush, then the Pink-footed Geese, the Canvasback earlier this week and yesterday the N. Hawk Owl.

I had a pair of new birds in the yard this morning - European Starlings. I've heard people talk about what pests they can be, but it was nice seeing something new. We got a light dusting of snow last night, so all the regulars were out for breakfast.

Just had a visit by my regular turkeys - the deer wouldn't share the corn - so they hit the birdfeeder.

Attachments

• what's up there.JPG
    what's up there.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 76
  • good stuff.JPG
    good stuff.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 104
  • I'll share.JPG
    I'll share.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 75
  • soo big.JPG
    soo big.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Three new birds for the year at the feeder this morning. I had a red-breasted nuthatch (which I havn't had here for three years), and a red-winged blackbird and a common grackle showed up this moring. I guess spring really is on the way.

Scott

LOL, Sara, those are great photos! Good thing they didn't try to land on your feeders! We get wild turkeys here where I live, too, but not in the yard. I love hearing them call in the woods -- kind of like a cross between a cougar's scream and a whistle (which, oddly, my birdsong CDs don't list, just the classic "gobble, gobble, gobble").

Today at my feeder

Hi everyone, haven't been on in a while. I have to say things have definitely improved over here - last time I posted all I could see were pigeons, however today I had a lot of bird activity, mainly from the flock of blue tits that have taken up residence a few gardens down. Today they were particularly tame, letting me get some pretty good pictures of one of them at the suet ball which I should hopefully be able to get on the computer! Also, some great news is that sparrows have been out the front a lot and I now have a resident flock, which appears to greatly appreciate the feeders our neighbours have put up and the suet ball that I have provided.

One of the Northern Flicker pairs was investigating the Lewis's Woodpecker-cum-Abert's Squirrel nest cavity this morning, which means the squirrels must have departed for their more traditional twig-nest dwelling. Which is good news because when the Lewis's return, they'll boot the Flicker's out just as they had to last year. Not that I'm rooting for one sp over the other, but I am kinda: Lewis's are considered a "vulnerable" species and Flickers aren't. But it's very early days and the Lewis's haven't returned yet for the season.

Saw two (instead of the usual one) Townsend's Solitaire's yesterday afternoon. Hope it's a pair and that they nest nearby. I love their plaintive one-note call, and their burbling song is delightful.

A hissy-buzzy-squeaky flock of Bushtits actually woke me up this morning just before daybreak. They hit the suet and peanut butter and moved on. For such drab little birds, I find them pretty fascinating.

Katy Penland said:
One of the Northern Flicker pairs was investigating the Lewis's Woodpecker-cum-Abert's Squirrel nest cavity this morning, which means the squirrels must have departed for their more traditional twig-nest dwelling.

No doubt the squirrels were chased off by all the noise from the cherry picker. ;)

Scott

LOL, Scott, or scared off by me scrabbling up that tree without benefit of cleats or ropes! Tammie was right, I'll never be the same again. ;) ;)

More nesting activity: For the first time in 3years, I've found a Steller's Jay's nest -- right outside the kitchen window! It'll be perfect for shooting from inside the house (less than 15' away). Saw the jay this morning poking more twigs in and around it, chortling to her/himself all the while. This is going to be fun. I am surprised, though, at how low to the ground this nest is, only about 5' or so, in a shaggy-bark juniper tree. This is the Abert's squirrels' favorite tree that bridges "their" ponderosa to the roof of our house, so we'll see if traffic patterns change. Or, if the nest is abandoned.

I'm going to cheat a little and put in a couple of migratory birds I've seen on my feeders in the past week. The two one-time viewings include a prothonotary warbler and ruby-throated hummingbird. 50+ goldfinches (I'm feeding them for my northern friends who get the benefit of them in their full glory), mourning doves, tufted titmouse, Carolina wren, Carolina chickadee, red-bellied woodpecker, blue jay, northern cardinal and white-throated sparrow.

Chazz

chazzhess said:
I'm going to cheat a little and put in a couple of migratory birds I've seen on my feeders in the past week. The two one-time viewings include a prothonotary warbler and ruby-throated hummingbird. 50+ goldfinches (I'm feeding them for my northern friends who get the benefit of them in their full glory), mourning doves, tufted titmouse, Carolina wren, Carolina chickadee, red-bellied woodpecker, blue jay, northern cardinal and white-throated sparrow.

Chazz
Nice list, especially the Hummingbirds. Those aren't my Goldfinches. They've been here all winter, could be Tammie's though.

snowyowl said:
Nice list, especially the Hummingbirds. Those aren't my Goldfinches. They've been here all winter, could be Tammie's though.

And I'm patiently awaiting their return in another month or so. :)

Brown Creeper said:
Well, good news. I heard my first neighborhood Killdeer this morning.

Good one, Neil... I have to wait for the snow to melt (quite) a bit more before they show up here. I'm hoping to see an eagle soon tho'.

Tammie said:
Good one, Neil... I have to wait for the snow to melt (quite) a bit more before they show up here. I'm hoping to see an eagle soon tho'.
The eagles are definitely on the move so you may not have long to wait.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back