• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today at the feeder (1 Viewer)

Katy, I was hoping today would be the day as there were strong SW winds and rain associated with the double wave of fronts passing through last night and today. This might be good news for birders in eastern half of the Carolinas. Usually to see any decent spring migration action, we need decent SW winds...

A picture speaks a thousand words. Approximately 90-100 of these beasties including the ones in the trees. Happy April?

Scott

Last edited:
Yuk!! They must have read my sign - go NORTH !!]

Titled this 1st photo "choices" - look how blue the gobbler got!! She was only interested in the corn!!

Attachments

• P1000846.JPG
    P1000846.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 96
  • P1000854.JPG
    P1000854.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
A lovely rare sighting for me this week.... a flock of about 25 cedar waxwings floating around the neighborhood, chattering for all they were worth. I've never seen more than one at a time so this was wonderful!

Also saw the season's first 5 starlings on Good Friday.

My goldfinch numbers are up again since my Northern Shrike headed further north. However, I saw a sharp-shinned hawk in the trees above the feeders a week ago. He didn't get dinner that day, but. . .

Well, after seeing my male ruby-throat all morning and then nothing this afternoon, (figures, I finally came down off the ladder) :( was suprised to see him back at dusk tonight. Swaying feverishly in our 45 mph winds but feeding from the Salvia on my deck and from 2 feeders. The little glutton ;)

Wet, wild and windy here (Ottawa Valley) today...but the songsparrows have arrived and are singing their little hearts out. Also RB and WB nuthatches, chickadees, blue jays, hairy and downy wpkrs, and the first two robins of the year.

Hummingbird map

KCFoggin said:
While wallpapering the kitchen this morning, at 8:30 a.m. this very rainy day, my very first adult male Ruby-throated Hummingbird of the season right outside my kitchen window. Feeding quite voraciously, I might add, at the feeder on my just blooming Dogwood tree. I am doing the happy dance :)
Found this site the other day: http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html and the migration map is fun to visit and "watch" the northward migration...though I think they're still several weeks away from Eastern Ontario.

Thought I saw "snow" out the window and then discovered it was feathers flying - just missed a hawk pick another dove out of the air!! Suspect it was the redtail as I saw him fly low across the front lawn in the a.m. - must hunt out his nest - bet there are hatchlings!

Sara, it would seem a little unusual to me, that a Red-tailed Hawk would take a bird for prey! Could it have been a Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawk? Of course, I guess a Red-tailed Hawk would be an opportunistic hunter and if there is one near your residence it could very well have been that species! Just a thought!

I have seen both cooper and sharpies but drew my conclusion from seeing the redtail flying quite low over the front lawn earlier and I had read once in birdbook that redtails have been known to prey on small birds. Just watched the DVD of Pale Male and it noted that he had to hunt at least 5 times a day to keep 3 hatchlings fed. Wish I had seen more that just the flying feathers - searched each side of the house for a large bird feasting as saw nothing!

I've been watching 2 pair of tree swallows diving and inspecting the MARTIN house ( never have seen a martin near it!) Now there is a pair of starlings having a walkthru - think I'll go out and shake the pole!!

Not much around here, but I've noticed the goldies are really changing - some look downright weird with patches of bright yellow throughout their plumage. Also, I had an Eastern Phoebe in my yard yesterday morning.

Counted 22 Cassin's Finches in the yard this morning, so nice to see them back to normal numbers after being virtually absent last year.

Not exactly at the feeder, but the Violet-green Swallows are back for the season!

I looked out the window this morning and spotted two American goldfinches on
the feeders. I thought they were sick like the ones I had last November but
once I put the binos on them, I realized what the spots on their heads are:
They're NOT sick.... they are both males developing their black caps for
summer! :) They are just getting their brighter yellow plummage too.

I'm assuming that these two are half of the flock of four I had hanging
around off and on all winter. Sadly, I don't think the other two
survived.... they both developed avian pox, causing me to completely
disinfect everything outside. Knock on wood, it seemed to end there.

Lovely view this morning: bright sunshine (altho' heavy frost this
morning), clear skies and loads of redpolls (all commons with ONE hoary
thrown it for good measure!) and chatty evening grosbeaks in the backyard
with the two goldies. The pine grosbeaks seem to be moving out .... their
numbers have plummeted in the past week. They'll leave until October. It
was a good season with them.

No sign of geese or eagles yet or purple finches. Shouldn't be too long
tho'.

Last edited:
European Goldfinches? Wow!
The geese are all here. they wake me up every morning as they fly over house. I love to hear them but, seeing as it's you, I'll send some on to you. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back