• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today at the feeder (4 Viewers)

You're a hard taskmaster, T! Not only do you get me into chat you make me post a pic of meself to boot! LOL!

Exciting yard news: We have a Mrs. Lewis's Woodpecker!!!!! Mr.'s drumming and nattering woke me up this morning, and since his voice sounded different and then he started drumming, I figured he'd lured someone to impress. Went outside and sure enough: She was just coming out of the nest hole, he jumped on her, they nattered for a bit, she flew off and he started drumming again, ruffing his feathers all proud of himself. I love watching their ritual -- they hop up the trunk and back and forth over branches, wings spread, calling and nattering like crazy. I'm hoping to get some decent pix this year if I get the scope I'm wanting -- with a nest 70' above the ground, a 500mm lens just hasn't cut it so far.

I'm really happy we have another nesting pair this year. Wish I knew if it is the same male we've had the last 3 summers. I know it's a new female because his mate last year was killed not too long after the four chicks hatched, leaving him to fledge all four -- successfully, I might add! I never saw a bird work so hard to keep four (plus his own) mouths fed.

Oh, and we have a Mrs. Black-chinned Hummer here now, too. And another male. Lots of territorial and courtship aerial "dancing" being carried out. Still just 6 Chipping Sparrows but a ton more Cassin's Finches the last couple of days -- close to 100.

I DO love spring!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Hey, I finally got a chipping sparrow here yesterday. I had a nice view at one point with white throat, song, and tree sparrow all on the ground under the feeder at once, and then the chipper flew past.

I'm afraid the fox sparrows might have passed me by this year, but if the tree sparrows are still here then maybe there is still hope.

Scott

Scott, there is always hope! :)

Katy, as for being a task master..... well............ I guess, someone has to be! ;)

I still love that photo. ;)

I've been hearing White-throats the last few days but haven't seen one yet. The Savannah Sparrows are starting to show up as well.

I'm baaaack! Another successfull knee-replacement. (4-15) Usually takes me a week to navigate upstairs where computer lives and then it wouldn't boot!! lazy? I fiddled and tweaked and up she awoke!!! Watching hen turkey stroll the yard - she does so daily. Sure hope she has nest nearby - anyone know when turkeys hatch?

amasara said:
I'm baaaack! Another successfull knee-replacement. (4-15) Usually takes me a week to navigate upstairs where computer lives and then it wouldn't boot!! lazy? I fiddled and tweaked and up she awoke!!! Watching hen turkey stroll the yard - she does so daily. Sure hope she has nest nearby - anyone know when turkeys hatch?
Welcome back! I'm glad things went well.

Welcome back Sara. I'm glad it went well.

As far as birds in the yard, I had a White-crowned sparrow which is a rare occurance. When I saw it out the window, I raced out on to the porch with my camera. I waited out in the cold for a long time, taking pictures of the other birds. As soon as I gave up and went back inside, I looked out the window and there were 2 white-crowned sparrows! A lesson in patience!

A couple of surprizes, but where are the others?

I haven't seen too many birds at my feeders all weekend but I am noticing newcomers. So far my new acquaintances are the Blue Jay, Red-bellied Woodpecker, and Brown-headed Cowbird. Gone, at least for now, are my Chipping Sparrows and Carolina Chickadees, tho' I did see one today and raised my spirits somewhat. Looks like the big guys are taking over the neighborhood. What can I do? :h?: Oh, and I saw a Robin, House Finch and Cardinal use my new bird-bath for the first time which was cool for me! :cool: Happy Birding! :flyaway:

Last edited:
Sara! Welcome back! Glad to hear all went well for you. Hope it's a speedy recovery too.
We put up two birdhouses this weekend.... got my fingers crossed now for either bluebirds or tree swallows or both.... I'm not greedy! ;)
Woke up to snow on the ground this morning but since it's supposed to reach +5c this afternoon, it certainly won't be staying.
Now have grackles, redwinged blackbirds, rusty blackbirds, starlings, juncos, purple finches and evening grosbeaks daily.
And one squirrel! :(

Sorry about not posting here for a long time either - I got back from a great trip to Germany last week. The birding has been fairly slow here. Yesterday, I found two little Hermit Thrushes poking around my backyard. I was able to approach closely for once!

Today, the chickadees have been hanging around my nestbox - hopefully they'll get down to work and start building a nest!

More spring arrivals the past couple days: A Brown-headed Cowbird pair, two male Brewer's Blackbirds, and just now, a beautiful male Black-headed Grosbeak! I love these big beaks, they have such a great song. And hearing the little ones try to learn it later in the summer is really funny. Wonder what the wind will bring in tomorrow?! :bounce:

Oh, and we had waaaaaaaay over 100 Cassin's finches yesterday and day before. I finally shot the yard to get an exact count but now have to wait for film development. There are upsides to digital. ;)

Katy Penland said:
More spring arrivals the past couple days: A Brown-headed Cowbird pair, two male Brewer's Blackbirds, and just now, a beautiful male Black-headed Grosbeak! I love these big beaks, they have such a great song. And hearing the little ones try to learn it later in the summer is really funny. Wonder what the wind will bring in tomorrow?! :bounce:

Oh, and we had waaaaaaaay over 100 Cassin's finches yesterday and day before. I finally shot the yard to get an exact count but now have to wait for film development. There are upsides to digital. ;)

Katy, I sure hope you'll be able to scan and post those photos when you get them back!

Katy Penland said:

Looking forward to seeing the Cassin's Katy and did you by any chance get a shot of the Black-headed Grosbeak. Love to see that too.

Papa standing guard

Well the chickadees are just about to fledge I think. At least from the rucus I am hearing in the nest box. Bluebirds I think are just starting to settle in in the other nest box.

Attachments

• 042705bluebird1.jpg
    042705bluebird1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 89
KCFoggin said:
Looking forward to seeing the Cassin's Katy and did you by any chance get a shot of the Black-headed Grosbeak. Love to see that too.
Nah, didn't get today's solitary guy. Everybody's a little flighty in the gusty winds we've had all day long. but I have loads from the past three years. I can dig one up if you need a BHGR fix? ;)

Awwwwww, cute Bluebird shot! They are the most beautiful shade of blue.

Nice picture, KC. An Eastern Bluebird would be a lifer for me. Maybe this year! The odd one gets reported here plus I'll be in Ontario in June and they are more common there. Fingers crossed!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back