• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today at the feeder (1 Viewer)

I'm mote happy with what I'm not seeing at my bird station.I haven't seen a junco in over a week.They have packed up and headed north. I wish them well and enjoy their company when they come in late October warning me of things to come.They will retell the story of the great 113 inch snowfall in NE Ohio around Canadian feeders this Summer.
Sam

Well he's finally arrived. The rose-breasted grosbeak arrived at my safflower feeder today. My wife even got me out of bed to look at him because she knew I was waiting for him. In the meantime, I have a number of white-throats, the juncos are still here, the purple finches came back for a visit, house finches, mourning doves, chickadees, chipping sparrows, cardinals, the odd grackle (but the hordes dissappeared within a couple of days after switching from sunflower to safflower, as did the purple finches |=(| ). There are lots of goldfinches on the new niger feeder, but no hummers yet. Oh yes, I think I saw a fox sparrow in the brush pile at the end of the yard, but he wouldn't show himself (close but not quite). And there are chickadees nesting in one of my nestboxes in the yard.

Scott

Sounds good, Scott. Maybe the rosies will make it up this way after all.

I looked out this morning to see two male and one female white crowned sparrows.... nice! :)

I now have dozens of purple finches, a pair of downies, a pair of hairies, two pairs of white throated sparrows.

cavan wood said:
Well he's finally arrived. The rose-breasted grosbeak arrived at my safflower feeder today. My wife even got me out of bed to look at him because she knew I was waiting for him. In the meantime, I have a number of white-throats, the juncos are still here, the purple finches came back for a visit, house finches, mourning doves, chickadees, chipping sparrows, cardinals, the odd grackle (but the hordes dissappeared within a couple of days after switching from sunflower to safflower, as did the purple finches |=(| ). There are lots of goldfinches on the new niger feeder, but no hummers yet. Oh yes, I think I saw a fox sparrow in the brush pile at the end of the yard, but he wouldn't show himself (close but not quite). And there are chickadees nesting in one of my nestboxes in the yard.

Scott

Today in our yard we had Mourning Doves, European Starlings, Common Grackles, Blue Jays, House Sparrows, House Finches, American Goldfinches and American Robins.

Flying overhead were Chimney Swifts. Three House Wrens were inspecting the backyard brush pile and wren houses. Two Brown Thrashers sneaked out of the brush pile every now and again. (I think they may be nesting somewhere in that brush pile!). Last but not least a White-breasted Nuthatch was coming to the bird feeder to get the safflower and black-oil sunflower seeds. I did catch a glimpse of a thrush. It was either the Swainson's or a Gray-cheeked, but it did not stay long enough for me to determine which one it was!

In Post #1205 of this thread I listed the birds we had in the yard this morning. This evening some more birds showed up in our yard. The Tennessee Warbler and Nashville Warbler were "first of year" (FOY) birds for me.

Tennessee Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Orange-crowned Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Swainson's Thrush
Gray-cheeked Thrush
Downy Woodpecker
Black-capped Chickadee
Rock Pigeon

Oh YES!!!!!

I had at least 3 pairs of tree swallows checking out the backyard birdhouses today! I did get a photo of two sitting on a wire above the garage but haven't downloaded them yet.

Looks promising!!! :)

I haven't been here for a while so I am checking in and saying hello. Today at the feeders are 2 turkeys, Lazuli Bunting, American Goldfinch, Brown Headed Cowbirds, Evening Grosbeak, Blackheaded Grosbeak, House Finch, White breasted Nuthatch, Bluebirds bathing not at feeders) Bullicks Oriole at the jelly cups, White and Gold Crowned Sparrows, Steller Jay, Scrub Jay, Acron Woodpecker (like the peanuts) Barn Swallows. It was a grand day at the feeders. Oh and I can hear baby bird in one of the birdhouses already. will have to watch and see what they are.

Our hordes of Cassin's Finches have finally departed after going through 100 lb. of black oil sunflower seeds in about 10 days' time. Holy cow and phew! LOL! But taking their place are about 80 Pine Siskins, surprising because they were here during the winter although not in these numbers, and two weeks ago, we only had 6-10 in the yard at any one time. There are still <10 Cassin's here, probably 2 dozen Lesser Goldfinches, just a handful of House Finches, 2 pair Brown-headed Cowbirds, and most vocal of all, 3 Cassin's Kindbirds, 2 of which are going through their courtship ritual with the fluttering wings and calling. So much fun to watch. Also an Ash-throated Flycatcher and, I think but am not sure, I am still hearing a Dusky-capped Flycatcher as well.

These are just the migrants. Still no warblers yet, just the one Ruby-crowned Kinglet a few days ago. And still just the 4 hummers: 3 Black-chinneds and 1 Broad-tailed. The Lewis's are sitting on eggs, and all the other yard regulars are coming in in twos, so it looks like there's a whole lot of nearby breeding going on. Wahoo! :bounce:

Today in my yard (or over it) in Anchorage--about an hour ago: 4 Black-Capped Chickadee's, 1 Redbreasted Nuthatch, 1 Robin, 2 White Winged Crossbills, 3 junkos, and 2 Ravens harassing a bald eagle Ah, I'm so glad spring is here... :) Happy Trails, Mike

Went to Rutland Water on Saturday and straight away saw some Tree Sparrows on the feeders in front of the Egleton Centre.Great as they were a tick for me.

However later on the way back to the car park I thought I would have another look and was surprised to see the feeders vacant except for a large rat that was hanging onto the peanut feeder.YUCK !!!!!

MAX.

Tammie said:
Oh YES!!!!!

I had at least 3 pairs of tree swallows checking out the backyard birdhouses today! I did get a photo of two sitting on a wire above the garage but haven't downloaded them yet.

Looks promising!!! :)
Mine still haven't shown up. I'm getting worried.

Dan, no tree swallows here yet either. They are usually here by now. Same with the ruby throated hummingbirds. Maybe this week if it warms up a bit and stops raining!!

My tree swallows have been nesting for a month now ( in the Martin house - 1 pair only) Hope to see baby activity soon. My turkeys are intriguing me currently - checked out the web and a friend who "hunts" them - she missed yesterday!! The hens should be on the nest about now after laying an egg a day for 20+ days. Incubation is 28 days - I'm very hopeful of seeing the little ones this year - as the hen strolls out for a nighttime snack everyday!
Have been seeing orioles fly by but no nest building yet. Still looking for the stopover of the rosebreasted gr.beak and the redheaded wp. !

What a lovely sight I had this morning..... a beautiful male butter butt! The first warbler of the year, as always.

I also now have at least 6 male white crowned sparrows. Lovely!

Hey, how come you're getting butter-butts already?! Those Evening Grosbeaks probably lured them up north! ;) I love the White-crowneds, they're so pretty. Oh, heck, all the birdies are pretty this time of year. A friend about 2 miles from me has a Rose-breasted Grosbeak at his feeder! I am so envious, I never see these guys until autumn.

Oh, I have a Cassin's Finch male in a box inside the house. I haven't a clue why he was lying on his back in the middle of the yard -- seems too far away to be a window strike but what else could it be? He's at least sitting upright in his dark little box with some sunflower chips, which he's eaten off and on, and he really slurped up the water first from a small straw I held to his beak, then later from a tiny lid I put next to him. But the two times I've taken him outside and set him on the ground to see if he'd fly, he's fallen over. So it's the rehabber for him tomorrow morning. Poor little thing... Say a little prayer for him, will you?

Nice warbler fallout starting late last week.Not at my feeders but, at my warbler patch.Butterbutt,magnolia.palm,blackthroated green and a large number of yellow this year.Today the patch hosted Baltimore oriole.I came home and put the orange halves out by the feeder in case they come here.
Sam

Aw, Katy... how did things go with the rehabber today? Hope the prognosis is good for the little one.

Sorry I got a butter butt before you............... NOT!! ;)
:flowers:

Katy Penland said:
Hey, how come you're getting butter-butts already?! Those Evening Grosbeaks probably lured them up north! ;) I love the White-crowneds, they're so pretty. Oh, heck, all the birdies are pretty this time of year. A friend about 2 miles from me has a Rose-breasted Grosbeak at his feeder! I am so envious, I never see these guys until autumn.

Oh, I have a Cassin's Finch male in a box inside the house. I haven't a clue why he was lying on his back in the middle of the yard -- seems too far away to be a window strike but what else could it be? He's at least sitting upright in his dark little box with some sunflower chips, which he's eaten off and on, and he really slurped up the water first from a small straw I held to his beak, then later from a tiny lid I put next to him. But the two times I've taken him outside and set him on the ground to see if he'd fly, he's fallen over. So it's the rehabber for him tomorrow morning. Poor little thing... Say a little prayer for him, will you?

Oh yeah! Bent over a dead plant in the garden under the hummingbird feeder and almost had my head ripped off by a hummer. Acutally I saw him yesterday for the first time, but today was the first I saw him at the feeder. So I sat down to watch him and in came the rose-breasted grosbeak, and while I was watching these two a nashville warbler was singing in the cedars, and a few minutes later a yellow warbler flew in for a look. I've died and gone to heaven.

Actually we saw quite a few warblers on Saturday on a local outing, including nashville, yellowrump (I've never heard them called butter buts before, that's hallarious), yellow, ovenbird, black-throated green (but not positive), probably northern water thrush (again just heard him and not positive).

The tree swallows here were trying to evict a chickadee, but the chickadee held fast. I put up another box a few metres away, but the swallows lost interest.

Gotta love spring birding.
Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back