• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today at the feeder (4 Viewers)

LOL, Tammieeeeeeeee and Sara! Hey, Sara, you think MY yard is busy, you should visit yards in the really birdy part of the state, down in the southeast corner.

I'd no sooner typed we hadn't had many southbound migrants when who should appear in what I've dubbed "the warbler tree" (a shaggy-bark juniper) but a Yellow Warbler. Which makes Sp. #42 for the number seen this month in the yard. So maybe there's hope that the "girlie" warblers (Lucy's, Virginia's, Grace's) and one of my faves, MacGillivray's, will put in an appearance yet. I'll letcha know if they do. And probably whine if they don't. ;)

Hey, can I temporarily change the title of this thread to 'Today Without The Feeders'?? ;)

We got exhausted from working here so !#$%^ hard while my husband was on vacation (now there's a contradiction in terms!) so we took off to the
cottage for a couple of days before he returns to work on Tuesday. We left
on Thursday and just returned today.

I got some fascinating photos on the way there but sorry, I haven't had
time to download them yet. They're not of any live creatures (oh yeah,
except a duck). They are photo proof of the drought conditions we've had
this summer. They show a large swampy pond that is virtually empty of
water. You can see where the water SHOULD be ... and you can see a couple of ducks swimming around in the little ponds that are left. I'll post them this week so you can see what I mean. I don't remember seeing conditions like this before, not to this extent. It's really bad!

Luckily, today we've been getting downpours (which aren't the best since
heavy rain will just run off) but it's better than nothing so I won't
complain.

I did have a wonderful sighting at the cottage that just made my whole
weekend..... a whole FLOCK of golden-crowned kinglets!! At least a dozen of them! :) I've never seen these little cuties before and have been waiting for years to see them. What a treat! They are easily one of THE cutest little birds I've ever seen. And active!! Jeez, it's tiring just watching
them. Impossible to get a photo of them without a scope and I could barely
keep them in the viewing field of the binoculars. And they are also very
chatty little birds. What a great sighting! I know according to my guide
book, we also have ruby-crowns around here but I don't know how in the world you'd tell the two apart without them raising their crowns, especially if
the ruby crowns are as active as the goldens!

I saw another bird in the garden there that I'm not too sure of. Blame my
husband for the lack of a photo... just as I was about to focus on it, he
closed the door of the gazebo scaring them away! :( Anyway, it was the
size of a junco (that's what I thought it was at first, until I saw it
through the bins). It was dark brown on the back and wings, light tan on
the breast. It had very dark eyes and I couldn't make out any ring around
the eyes or anything. I thought it might be a hermit thrush but I've got my
doubts about that. Any suggestions?

And speaking of juncos, they've returned along with the grackles. I'm not
sure if I'm happy to see them or not..... they mean summer is over! But
since they are one of my favourite birds to see, I can't help but be happy
to have them back.

Oh yeah! I also had two flickers in the yard there. And that was a real
treat too as we've hardly seen any flickers this year at all. And of
course, I saw my buddies... the whisky jacks (gray jays). I had them coming
to the yard again but I never saw any babies this year. How I miss them
here!! But I AM hearing bluejays here more and more so I'm hopeful that
they'll return for the winter. :)

I hope everyone else had as good a weekend as we did. It was great to get
away for a few days but it's still nice to be home too. :)
:bounce:

Wow Tammie - nice getaway place you have! We too have had a drought that is about to be broken by Katrina!! I've been watching the TV all morning and feel like I'm blown away too - timeout for pc break!! My husband and I also had a getaway weekend - he had a course to take at Nemacolin Spa and Resort (too bad) I found a deal for the cheapest rooms which weren't!! We were able to travel out and see two of Frank Lloyd Wright's homes - Kentuc Knob and Falling Water - the latter being a want to see for me for years. They are spectacular. While at Kentuc Knob (don't know why they left off the "y") I saw some HUGE "crows" and asked the guide if she knew if they were ravens - she didn't - I know that there are ravens in Pennsylvania - and these were VERY LARGE for crows!!

Last edited:
Hi Sara, glad you had a good time too. :) Sounds to me like you did see ravens. At a distance, they look just like crows... only bigger! Ravens can be upwards of 18" tall with close to a three foot wingspan. They are large!

I had some great ... albeit QUICK.... sightings this morning too: 2 white throated sparrows, a bluejay, 2 female ruby throated hummers, a hermit thrush, a small flock of goldfinches and some other sparrows that moved to fast to be id'd. Not bad considering this was all within the first 5 minutes after I got up this morning! :)

Be careful what you wish for. ;) Since last posting on the 18th about a lack of warblers, we're starting to see some migrate through: Hepatic Tanager (both male and female, very pretty, colorful pair when seen together); Wilson's Warbler (a very bright male with his little yarmulke ;) ), Warbling Vireo, Brewer's Blackbird, and two 1st winter female Virginia's Warblers.

All of our adult hummers are gone, too, leaving just the scrappy kids to fight over the two feeders. Still, we have 30-40 hummers still here. It's fun to watch the males grow into their gorgets, and I must say the Black-chinneds are really giving the Rufous juvies a run for their feist money. LOL!

Our "monsoon" weather seems to have gone even though we were forecasted to have another 2 weeks of T-storms and rain. It was 91 F. (32 C.) here yesterday!! And today, no clouds and windy and very, very, very dry. No wonder the nectar feeders are almost visibly draining!

OT: Hey, speaking of meteorology, have you guys been pointing your scopes to the western horizon at sunset? Venus and Jupiter are moving closer and closer together, and by the 6th of September, a sliver of moon should be between them making for a very pretty look, or photo if you want to try that. Yowza, with a 60x or better bird spotting scope, you can actually see 4 of jupiter's moons! Pretty awesome sight.

I've been looking for mars since an email told me it was to be very visible in the east - was this just a hoax - as I've seen nothing else re: it!

Check out spaceweather.com, Sara. It's a great site that will even keep you updated via email on any special celestial events. :t:

You have to look for Mars in the pre-dawn darkness, but it's nowhere near as big as the current rumor is stating. Spaceweather's site talks about this, also.

Lovely! As I type this, I have my french door open onto the backyard. All I can hear are chickadees (finally!) and goldfinches and sparrows. It's a wonderful sound. I call it Kitty Theater as the cats sit at the screen and just watch (since they're not allowed outside). They sit mesmerised for hours sometimes watching the goings-on in the backyard.
I spotted a couple more purple finches yesterday... males looking awfully faded this time of year. I now have at least 4 blue jays hanging around. I had a beautiful flicker in the backyard trees a couple of days ago. If they turned out, I'll post a photo after.
I have a mixed flock of white throated and white crowned sparrows with a few chipping sparrows thrown in. Starting to see more juncos now. Also saw a mixed flock of blackbirds this morning.

I certainly can't complain since I only have 1 feeder out right now! This thread has gotten so quiet.... what's everyone else seeing nowadays?!

o:)

Tammie said:
Lovely! As I type this, I have my french door open onto the backyard. All I can hear are chickadees (finally!) and goldfinches and sparrows. It's a wonderful sound. I call it Kitty Theater as the cats sit at the screen and just watch (since they're not allowed outside). They sit mesmerised for hours sometimes watching the goings-on in the backyard.
I spotted a couple more purple finches yesterday... males looking awfully faded this time of year. I now have at least 4 blue jays hanging around. I had a beautiful flicker in the backyard trees a couple of days ago. If they turned out, I'll post a photo after.
I have a mixed flock of white throated and white crowned sparrows with a few chipping sparrows thrown in. Starting to see more juncos now. Also saw a mixed flock of blackbirds this morning.

I certainly can't complain since I only have 1 feeder out right now! This thread has gotten so quiet.... what's everyone else seeing nowadays?!

o:)
]
Hi Tammie - was wondering where the regulars were - anyone heard from "Snowy" on PEI? I've been BUSY with a puppy I worked 1 hr. to catch in a neighborhood that wasn't feeding her. The vet said she was about 8 wks old when I broght her in (2 wks ago) and had been wandering for at least 2 wks!! She seems to be part Corgi/Chow - easter egg tongue - pink with blue dots!! HAve seen some strange birds while walking the pup - but keep forgetting my binos. Photos below - the poodle took a week to deside she was staying before playing - he'll be 12 next month!!

Attachments

• P1010310.JPG
    P1010310.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 84
  • P1010297.JPG
    P1010297.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 67
Hi Sara... Dan's still around a bit... I saw him recently on another newsgroup. I'm sure he'll be along.

Cute puppy!! What was the poor thing doing wandering around alone at that tender age tho'?! She certainly is lucky you found her. Are you keeping her now? I see the poodle finally shows some form of acceptance? ;)

Maybe if you take the binos on the next walk, the strange birds won't look so strange. ;)

:h?:

amasara said:
]
Hi Tammie - was wondering where the regulars were - anyone heard from "Snowy" on PEI? I've been BUSY with a puppy I worked 1 hr. to catch in a neighborhood that wasn't feeding her. The vet said she was about 8 wks old when I broght her in (2 wks ago) and had been wandering for at least 2 wks!! She seems to be part Corgi/Chow - easter egg tongue - pink with blue dots!! HAve seen some strange birds while walking the pup - but keep forgetting my binos. Photos below - the poodle took a week to deside she was staying before playing - he'll be 12 next month!!

Gosh, now that I think about it, I've not seen much lately in my yard... I'll try to get out a little tommorrow morning, and I will post what I see. I'm going to put the feeders out again soon.

We also went down to Columbus for a few days last week. I couldn't go birding, but I was startled to see so many cardinals... I counted 13 in one tree!!!! :eek!: Sorry Tammie!!!

I still can't get over the fact the cardinals are not in Michigan. Ours are looking pretty molty this time of year or else they have a problem!! Hummers seem to be gone - just refreshed the feeders - but see no activity - but will leave up for another month in case of fly bys - hope they all avoid the hurricanes - what is the fly route for rubys?
Yes, I'm keeping the puppy, Tammie. Finally let her out with the poodle this a.m. unleashed and after business she flew back to the door - guess she knows where's "home". Now I just have to wonder if she's too much for the 12 yr OLD dog - she runs him in circles!!

Sure you are, Neil! ;) Just you wait, one of these years, one will show up in my backyard. :flyaway:

Brown Creeper said:
We also went down to Columbus for a few days last week. I couldn't go birding, but I was startled to see so many cardinals... I counted 13 in one tree!!!! :eek!: Sorry Tammie!!!

Hey Sara! I saw a hummer in my backyard last night around 7:00 pm! I hadn't seen any in a whole week, since the 13th, so I was positive they were gone but there she was at the feeder for a quick sip. She then flew into the backyard trees and harassed a chickadee before she took off toward my neighbour's place.
I'm sure this is the latest in the season that I've seen one. I've marked it on the calendar to be sure.
:D

amasara said:
I still can't get over the fact the cardinals are not in Michigan. Ours are looking pretty molty this time of year or else they have a problem!! Hummers seem to be gone - just refreshed the feeders - but see no activity - but will leave up for another month in case of fly bys - hope they all avoid the hurricanes - what is the fly route for rubys?
Yes, I'm keeping the puppy, Tammie. Finally let her out with the poodle this a.m. unleashed and after business she flew back to the door - guess she knows where's "home". Now I just have to wonder if she's too much for the 12 yr OLD dog - she runs him in circles!!

its very windy here today in southeast pa, its going to storm soon.
we had the usual visitors this morning
mourning doves
bluejays
cardinals
american goldfinch
house finch
downy woodpeckers
house sparrows
brown headed cowbirds stopped by this morning
tufted titmouse
black capped chickadees
and what i believe to be an american tree sparrow, but i need a better look at him to be sure :D

I had my first of "fall/winter" season Dark-eyed Junco here in Saint Joseph, Missouri, today! Earliest I have in my records by two days!

Some people here call these birds "snow birds". I think it will be a little while before we get any snow though!

Larry Lade said:
I had my first of "fall/winter" season Dark-eyed Junco here in Saint Joseph, Missouri, today! Earliest I have in my records by two days!

Some people here call these birds "snow birds". I think it will be a little while before we get any snow though!

oh boy your so lucky to have them allready! i cant wait until i see them again, usually around november we get em' :hippy:

Hi Tammie - I too have been having a lone female hummer for a few days - she's pretty skinny - so I wonder how long she'll be here fattening up?

I thought I'd post a list of some of the interesting birds I've seen in my yard the past few days:

Winter Wren (verrrry cute and tame)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (ditto)
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Hermit Thrush
Bay-breasted Warbler
Blackpoll
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Dark-eyed Junco (record early for the yard!)
White-crowned Sparrow

Time to get the feeders out.....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back