• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today at the feeder (2 Viewers)

New yard bird! I saw a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in my yard this morning - new for the county and the yard. He didn't stick around long. Other birds I have seen today:

Yellow-rumped, Orange-crowned and Blackpoll Warblers
Gray Catbird
Hermit Thrush
Winter and House Wrens
White-throated, Song, Chipping and Swamp Sparrows
Ruby-crowned Kinglet

The last few days have been very productive....

Hi Neil,
I envy you the variety and number of species you get in your garden (sorry, yard). Is it fair to say there are far more species to be found in N America compared to little old U.K.?
Ken

Hi All

Have been watching a Wood pidgeon since the 2nd Sept who has nested in a tree not 30ft from my kitchen window. We are now grandparents, but unfortunatley it seems one of the brood was DOA and she took it away about 10am this morning. The survivor seems to be doing well.
We have also had a GS Woodpecker as a regular visitor to the seed and fat ball, but at noon today we had a surprise visitor, a bird I have never seen before, a Wryneck, seems to like the taste and has been back three times for more.

A few weeks back I filled a tube feeder with Sunflower hearts at my mothers new house. Her bird-fancier next door neighbour (shared garden) has been unsuccessful in trying to attract Goldfinches for the past seven or eight years. An adult Goldie turned up on the new feeder on Saturday. Made his day.

Species #112 came in this afternoon, and the 5th hummingbird species to show up this year (we usually only get 4): Anna's Hummer. I almost took down the last nectar feeder yesterday but decided to give it another week or so, see what the latest weather front blows in. Also our first-of-the-season winter birds are starting to come in: Gray-headed race of Dark-eyed Junco (the red-backed race breeds here and stays all winter); White-crowned Sparrows, Chipping Sparrows coming through, Pine Siskins are starting to arrive, but no Cassin's Finches yet (for me, the definitive "winter bird" after the juncos).

This afternoon I found a beau--t-i-fulll Orange-crowned Warbler in my yard. It came within five feet of me, and I could even see its orange feathers on its head! Also alot of Ruby-crowned Kinglets and a Winter Wren.

A pair of chickadees and a pair of nuthatches have been constantly eating from my feeder, along with some cardinals and goldfinches. I even saw the Red-bellied Woodpecker at the suet yesterday. These birds are finding the feeders fast!

here in Portsmouth, i had the cute house sparrows bathing in the bird bath, magpies, robins and collared doves feeding in the bird table. The blue tits and some great tits feeding on the nuts. Such a delight!

Last day in Oz today...(I'm at the airport right now) :( :(

Well the garden put a nice goodbye for me:

8 King Parrots(1 adult male came outside and called for his breakie.Hand fed him :bounce:.The he called all his mates!)
2 Aust magpies(Mike and Maggie came for theyr cheese.Hand fed)
about 5 Pied Currawongs.
76 Rainbow Lorikeets :D
1 Common Koel
2 Laughing Kookaburras.
2 Common Starlings
15 Common Mynas
6 New Holland Honeyeaters
2 Yellow-faced Honeyeaters
2 Red Wattlebirds
1 Eastern Spinebill
20 Satin Bowerbirds
6 Crimson Rosellas
8 Crested Pigeons
10 Spotted Turtle Doves
1 Grey Butcherbird
2 Magpie Larks
3 Sulphur-crested Cockies
2 Galahs
1 Australian Raven
and lastly while I was leaving:White-bellied Sea Eagle over the yard....

Thanx Guys.I'll remember...

Cheers,

Dimitris

Hello.... is anyone around here anymore?!

I was just treated to a nice Cooper's Hawk that put on a show outside my window. Apart from that, I've just had the usual Cardinals, Chickadees, Mourning Doves, Downy and RB Woodpeckers and a Chipping Sparrow at my feeders.

Hummingbirds

We had a lot of Ruby-throated and a couple of Black-chinned in September and early October. Now only a few Ruby-throated remain, but we have a young Rufous male.

We used to see lots of Rufous every spring in the San Francisco Bay Area, and every fall at Lake Tahoe. But this is the first we've seen in three years in Texas.

I put up a nyger seed feeder just over a week ago to try to attract goldfinches. After 2 days there was a solitary goldfinch which has been returning everyday since. I looked out of the window this morning and there were two goldfinches for the first time! Although one of them was eating out of the normal seed feeder.

Neil, you lucky dog, I've never seen the "orange crown" on that warbler! It wasn't until just a couple years ago that I ever saw the "ruby crown" on the kinglet even though I've seen that species for donkey's years.

Not a whole lot new, just more Pine Siskins arriving, and we now have Oregon and Pink-sided Juncos joining the Gray-headed and Red-backed. Looking forward to the first Slate-colored. Now if I could just get a White-winged to visit, I'd be ecstatic. We are getting almost-daily visits from a male Red-naped Sapsucker. And oddly enough, there's one lone hold-out from the Lewis's Woodpeckers that fledged this summer. They're usually long gone by now, but we still have one that keeps coming into the yard for peanuts, suet and the feeder. Wonder if it'll over-winter? That'd be a first for the yard. Did have a flock of about 50 Brewer's Blackbirds come in a few days in a row, which is fun as I love their constant "ticking" cluck they do.

Project FeederWatch starts Nov. 12 for North American watchers. Are all you NA folks signed up? :t:

EDIT: I no sooner go outside than a Sharp-shinned Hawk made a strafing run, nabbing one of the small birds below the feeders. Couldn't tell whether it was a Chipping Sparrow, Pine Siskin or Lesser Goldfinch, but looks like the Sharpie is back for a couple weeks. Wish I could band this one so I'd know if it is the same individual we've seen the past three years periodically staking out the yard. Man, they're fast!

Last edited:
I seen for the first time ever a rufous sided towhee!!!!! I was sooo excited!!! :bounce: Was out working in the garden and looked under the bird feeders and there it was!! Only stayed about 20 seconds and flew away and never seen it again! |:(|

wow I feel guilty, here in butler county pa it was beautiful and sunny out, today, cold this morning ice frost on the roof, but warmed up to about 60, have titmice cardinals doves bluejay, doves and wrens assorted kinds not sure,some with redish heads one almost all black one speckled and some brown, chickadees always being demanding at the feeder when its empty .
ebtammy

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back