• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Too close for comfort (1 Viewer)

Saerwen

Out in a wooded park this morning watching birds I'd been feeding, I was passed by a hornet, then another. A couple of minutes later a hornet flew straight up to me, hovered in front of my face for a few seconds and flew off. I felt as though I'd been given the once over and though I've been inspected by dragonflies guarding their patch, never before by bees or wasps.

Does anyone know if this is normal behaviour for hornets, was I close to their nest (I did have a look for it without success) or was I simply something new on their patch that needed to be checked out? I know hornets are not normally aggressive but one hovering inches in front of my face almost freaked me out. :eek!:

Thanks for any info on the behaviour of these beautiful and rare insects.

*If* this was a hornet (see other threads about possible confusion) it is uncommon behaviour - if you had been threatening the colony it would just have come in and stung! On the other hand it isn't unusual for most moths and bees to hover around objects of interest to inspect them - if it had been hovering elsewhere you probably wouldn't have felt threatened or even have noticed it!
You were probably near a nest so don't get any closer!

Saerwen said:
Out in a wooded park this morning watching birds I'd been feeding, I was passed by a hornet, then another. A couple of minutes later a hornet flew straight up to me, hovered in front of my face for a few seconds and flew off. I felt as though I'd been given the once over and though I've been inspected by dragonflies guarding their patch, never before by bees or wasps. Does anyone know if this is normal behaviour for hornets, was I close to their nest (I did have a look for it without success) or was I simply something new on their patch that needed to be checked out? I know hornets are not normally aggressive but one hovering inches in front of my face almost freaked me out. :eek!:

paul mabbott said:
*If* this was a hornet (see other threads about possible confusion) it is uncommon behaviour - if you had been threatening the colony it would just have come in and stung! On the other hand it isn't unusual for most moths and bees to hover around objects of interest to inspect them - if it had been hovering elsewhere you probably wouldn't have felt threatened or even have noticed it!
You were probably near a nest so don't get any closer!

It was definitely a hornet, large and golden brown with a much deeper and louder buzz than a wasp or bee. Slightly worrying is that this was on a path near a pond where mums sometimes take their children, so if there is a hornet's nest nearby... Hopefully it was just being nosey.

Surreybirder said:
They're not as rare as they used to be. I see them more often than wasps at the moment.

That's interesting, I only saw my first hornet last year, this year I've seen four, including the three today. When I googled hornets, all the sites stated that they were rare in the UK and confined to the south of England, but there was precious little information about them. Perhaps they're having a good year.

Saerwen said:
It was definitely a hornet, large and golden brown with a much deeper and louder buzz than a wasp or bee. Slightly worrying is that this was on a path near a pond where mums sometimes take their children, so if there is a hornet's nest nearby... Hopefully it was just being nosey.
Pickings are a bit thin right now and it was just checking out a potential food soarce,they do it to me a lot this time of the year in the Savernake forest(where we have a seriously healthy population) They seem especially curious of spectacles (attracted by the shine??).

On Sunday when I was using a flash gun on some fungi about ten feet below a Nest It attracted three or four.

Hornets are the mildest mannered of all the "yellowjacket" wasps, and I recon they are bordering on the same temperament as Bumblebees.

I commonly see Hornets in Richmond Park + Kew Gardens in west London. Last Saturday went up to Rutland Water + there was a Hornet nest not in an old tree but in roof space of building with metal sides next to visitor centre at Egleton Reserve.

Hornets are definitely NOT confined to the south, very common here in the Midlands over the last couple of years, and this year I have seen 10 times more than any other year. Found a nest last week right beside a footpath.
Jackie

Whilst out this morning we came across this pair of hornets on the ground. Do they mate this time of year? We watched them for some 5 mins crawling round together, the top one being slightly smaller than the lower. ( Sorry for the quality, -a video grab)

Attachments

• hornets1.jpg
    hornets1.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 123
Mary said:
Whilst out this morning we came across this pair of hornets on the ground. Do they mate this time of year? We watched them for some 5 mins crawling round together, the top one being slightly smaller than the lower. ( Sorry for the quality, -a video grab)

Hello Mary,

All Social Wasp Queens mate shortly after hatching or at least within a day of so. Only the fertile Queens hibernate, the males and workers die off before winter sets in. Usually the first frosts are enough to end their lives.

It's quite likely these are a mating pair, they are in the usual copular position.

Harry

Saerwen said:

Lately I've seen quite a few in Brittany while picking blackberries. To me they didn't seem aggressive at all. I would have been more wary of a common wasp.

Nerine

harry eales said:
Hello Mary,

All Social Wasp Queens mate shortly after hatching or at least within a day of so. Only the fertile Queens hibernate, the males and workers die off before winter sets in. Usually the first frosts are enough to end their lives.

It's quite likely these are a mating pair, they are in the usual copular position.

Harry

Thanks, Harry. They were on a well used footpath, so I hope they survived!

In my experience while photographing Hornets at the nest, if you are within say 2m of it, you will certainly be ‘inspected’. When very close like this, I’ve found the usual behaviour pattern is that the odd one will fly up and ‘sway’ side to side in front of you in flight, and nearly always between you and the nest. If you then take two steps back (leaving the tripod mounted camera behind) and keep still, the Hornet will quickly go back about its business. If you stay there, you may or may not be dive-bombed and stung (I know from experience!). Remember I’m talking of being very close to a nest otherwise they usually fly straight past you and carry on foraging.

If you ever try photographing at the nest please take precausions. Don’t use a macro for obvious reasons! A 300mm is the minimum I’d use which gives more working distance. Oh and wear a hat just in case!

They are certainly fascinating.

Last edited:
Wildwood said:
In my experience while photographing Hornets at the nest, if you are within say 2m of it, you will certainly be ‘inspected’. When very close like this, I’ve found the usual behaviour pattern is that the odd one will fly up and ‘sway’ side to side in front of you in flight, and nearly always between you and the nest. If you then take two steps back (leaving the tripod mounted camera behind) and keep still, the Hornet will quickly go back about its business. If you stay there, you may or may not be dive-bombed and stung (I know from experience!). Remember I’m talking of being very close to a nest otherwise they usually fly straight past you and carry on foraging.

Thanks for replying. Oddly, I haven't seen any hornets in that spot before or since and it's a place I visit at least once a week, although I did see one on the other side of the park about half a mile away. I'll certainly bear your advice in mind if I have any more encounters.

Just a couple of points while whizzing through the many messages on this.
1. Hornets are largely southern, spreading well recently and up to about Cheshire now, though still quite scarce in the northern counties. In Staffs we have some records, they arent considered common: local at best.
2. They really arent agressive as mothman says. Ive sat at nests using a flash gun with no problems. The problem is peoples perseption because they are brightly coloured and big.
3. Like many sight/movement based species they are inquisitive and will check out any opportunity whether another flying object, a butterlfy or even unidentifed shappe such as a person. Hoverlfies do exactly the same thing and as someone said, dragonflies. It isnt an agressive act but one of enquiry.
Just thought id clarify a couple of things.
cheers
andy

Good points there Andy.

I’m wondering if location has much of a bearing on behaviour of a colony. I mean I’ve been at nests, and as you say, they don’t seem to bother at all. Yet on another in the same area, which was right on a footpath, they seemed rather more than inquisitive. A throbbing head and many dive-bomb attempts proved this – even when several yards from the nest and on different occasions. Maybe the passing dog walkers or people interfering with the nest made them more sensitive?

Whether their behaviour is strictly autonomous or adapts to circumstances I don’t know. But behaviour, as with all species, must differ between populations and circumstances to some extent.

The nests I’m talking of lasted right up until late November by the way. I’m located close to the Humber.

Saerwen said:
Oddly, I haven't seen any hornets in that spot before or since and it's a place I visit at least once a week, although I did see one on the other side of the park about half a mile away. I'll certainly bear your advice in mind if I have any more encounters.

I'm guessing slightly from your first description but if this is Upton CP there was a nest just off the path on the way round Holes Bay last year. I also had one turn up in in the garden in Hamworthy.

Saerwen said:
Out in a wooded park this morning watching birds I'd been feeding, I was passed by a hornet, then another. A couple of minutes later a hornet flew straight up to me, hovered in front of my face for a few seconds and flew off. I felt as though I'd been given the once over and though I've been inspected by dragonflies guarding their patch, never before by bees or wasps.

Does anyone know if this is normal behaviour for hornets, was I close to their nest (I did have a look for it without success) or was I simply something new on their patch that needed to be checked out? I know hornets are not normally aggressive but one hovering inches in front of my face almost freaked me out. :eek!:

I can confirm that kind of behaviour of Vespa crabro at least.
At one of the patches i go to photograph insects ive often been visited by one. They seem to get curious of the 'big unknown object' (namely you) while foraging (if thats what they are doing) and decide to have a closer look :)
I have never been stung by any though, they seem to be just investigative (if this is not a word i apologize lol).
You should be ok if you dont make any 'hostile' movements or are standing too close to their nest.
In fact, on one occasion i took the risk of hunting it down to get a good shot. Although it looked slightly irritated in the end it never made a move on me.

Have a great day,
Jeroen

http://www.biologis.de/photo/zoologie/fenster/art/bild_vh/vespa_crabro.html

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back