• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Too early for Fieldfares in Fife? (1 Viewer)

mipettin

-
Hi

Went fishing with my sons (4 and 10) and grandpa on Sunday up at a reservoir near Leslie in Fife, Central Scotland and as we pulled up to park I could have swore I saw a Fieldfare - like a Mistle Thrush but distinct grey coloration on back. I thought these only visited in the Winter though. I also noticed around the reservoirs lots of berry trees which I think they like. Also seem to recall they were resident in some parts of Scotland.

Martin
-

Martin - BirdGuides has this to say:

A rare breeding bird in Scotland, where a few pairs nest annually. A common winter visitor between October-April, mainly to farmland where huge flocks can be seen.

The map shows more green areas (all the year round) than this statement implies.

Last edited:
mipettin said:
-
Hi

Went fishing with my sons (4 and 10) and grandpa on Sunday up at a reservoir near Leslie in Fife, Central Scotland and as we pulled up to park I could have swore I saw a Fieldfare - like a Mistle Thrush but distinct grey coloration on back. I thought these only visited in the Winter though. I also noticed around the reservoirs lots of berry trees which I think they like. Also seem to recall they were resident in some parts of Scotland.

Martin
-

Hi Martin

I haven't seen Fieldfare at this time of the year but I did see a pair of Redwing by the side of Loch Ness at a place called Bannagarline on 7th June 2002. They had obviously stayed over so by the same principle there is always a chance that the odd Fieldfare could stay put also.

Hi Martin,
Summering in Fife is not unknown. A friend had a singing male at Cullalloe in the west of Fife some years back. Perhaps another fishing trip to Leslie is in order. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back