• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tortrix ID (Cumbria, UK) (1 Viewer)

gillean55

Hello

This specimen (with 3 others) was found on a small weed patch near woodland in Carlisle yesterday. The total length was measured at just over 10mm. The best visual fit I could find in Stirling&Parsons was Pammene populana, but this is too small and it's probably too early anyway - especially as these moths have been here for a few weeks now, and one looked very faded.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• Tortrix, Kingmoor Nature Reserve, 15 June 21.jpg
    Tortrix, Kingmoor Nature Reserve, 15 June 21.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for that, Andy.

Despite the fact that Epiblema scutulana is the right size and has the right flight period I'd dismissed this one (and other similar species) because there didn't seem to be an obvious tuft behind the head. However, I've had a look through other shots I took from different angles, and it's clearly there. From what I've since read on the difficulty of separating scutulana from others in the same genus, I think I'll just denote it as Epiblema scutulana agg.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back