• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trinovid BA/BN eye-relief/FoV specifications? (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knew the eye relief of the old Trinovid BA and BN models, particularly in the 8x and 7x configurations? Are the stats on the BA and BN the same, with differences only in coatings/glass?

All the best,
Justin

Hello,

Aside from other differences, BN's focussed closer than their equivalent BA's. If I recall, there were first Leitz Trinovid, then Leitz B's, meaning Briller, German for Eyeglasses, then Leica BA's, then Leica BN's, with the 'N' indicating near focus.

I hope that might help.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Hello All,

Thank you for the insights and information shared in this thread. I posted this thread for a colleague who was looking to purchase one of the 8x Trinovid BN/BA. Given that we both wear the large-framed 'hipster' style glasses, I may recommend he look instead at the 7x42 model which features what I personally find a very good ER at 17mm. I was initially planning to recommend the 7x42 configuration, anyways, as I looked through the pair my ornithology professor uses and found the view to be stunning in most respects; however, this colleague is a devout 8x user so he may take the recommendation with some wariness.

All the best,
Justin

Hello All,

Thank you for the insights and information shared in this thread. I posted this thread for a colleague who was looking to purchase one of the 8x Trinovid BN/BA. Given that we both wear the large-framed 'hipster' style glasses, I may recommend he look instead at the 7x42 model which features what I personally find a very good ER at 17mm. I was initially planning to recommend the 7x42 configuration, anyways, as I looked through the pair my ornithology professor uses and found the view to be stunning in most respects; however, this colleague is a devout 8x user so he may take the recommendation with some wariness.

All the best,
Justin

Whoa Justin!

Hipster spectacles???

Back here in the old country we are still coming to terms with hipster pants o:)
WTF (international translation) are hipster spectacles??

Do you wear them around your A*ss?

Lee ;)

Those are good looking glasses Justin, I like them. Your friend would be advised to seriously think about the 7x42, they are very good in low light. I have the 8x32BN myself and it's a great binocular, but I found the 7x to be a nicer view somehow, no specific reason, it just felt that way, so I am looking for one myself, and for me the magnification difference is negligible.

Last edited:
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone knew the eye relief of the old Trinovid BA and BN models, particularly in the 8x and 7x configurations? Are the stats on the BA and BN the same, with differences only in coatings/glass?

All the best,
Justin

Specifications for the BA series can be found HERE in the 1995 Eagle Optics Catalog, pg. 8.

From Leica's 2002 catalog, the close focus distance and FOV for the BNs are:
10x32 = 6.9' ; FOV = 120m
8x32 = 7.2' ; FOV = 135m
8x42 = 10.2' ; FOV = 130m
7x42 = 10.8' ; FOV = 140m

There is no indication of eye relief. Rather, they are all said to have "Eyepieces for eyeglass users." So, we can breathe a sigh of (eye) relief.

Ed
PS. I hadn't noticed it before, but in the BN series the 10x32 specs seem to stand out. It sports a 68.7 AFOV, and has 11 lens elements on each side, unlike the others that have 8 or 9 elements on each side. It also doesn't appear that a 10x32 was included in the BN series. Hmmmm.

Last edited:
The 12x50 is similar in eyepiece complexity, with a 68.4 degree AFOV. Staggering. My BN focuses to 11 feet but I am a little nearsighted which helps it along there.

Lots of water and ink has passed under the bridge since the BA and BN days, huh. But those things flat work right.

I had my 12x50 out looking at distant ducks on a lake the other day. There was a nice young fellow with a 15x50 IS Cannon that we fell in with. He knows birds better than me, but I was showing HIM stuff!

The glasses frames are handsome. I immediately thought of Steve Allen. (Not good...)

Ron

Hah, well they are typically large framed, squarish, and do not conform much to your face and so "jut out" farther than other style glasses.

Hi Justin

OK, so they are hipsters because they stick out further than your hips :eek!:

They actually look pretty cool.

Lee

Hah, well they are typically large framed, squarish, and do not conform much to your face and so "jut out" farther than other style glasses. I'll include an image of the frames I have; my colleague's are similar but a little thinner.
http://images.addoway.com.s3.amazonaws.com/items/21697/2714509/21697_2_0cb2f1.jpg

Nice glasses, Dude! You seem to have started a worldwide trend. My 14-year old daughter has gotten similar recently, as have hordes of the teenagers in the school where I teach. Typically they choose black frames. And bizarrely, they also call them "hipster" glasses! Apparently the geek/nerd look is "in". (Only the look, though. Getting any of them to actually read a book is well-nigh impossible, as it would interfere with their FB/Snapchat time).

Oh, thank you. Somehow I had a feeling that what was going on was, these people think they are cool. That is pretty vague compared to the particulars of their reality, but not too far off base, would you say?

No worries, I used to think I was pretty cool myself. If you never even THOUGHT you were cool, dude, you were right.

Ron

Dragging up an old thread here....

I'm wondering if anyone has experience of using 8x42 Trinovid BN's with glasses, and would be able to comment. The current UVHD+ has a stated ER of 17mm and a usable ER of around 14mm and fit me perfectly, but other instruments with greater ER I have found not to fit.

Allbinos quote 17mm ER for this model, but elsewhere I see it quoted as less.

Any clues, opinions, clarification or experiences of this model used when wearing glasses would be much appreciated.

Thank you! 🙂

I can only safely talk about the 8x42 BA, which appears to have identical dimensions of the eyelens / eyecups as the BN and comparable eye relief; if anything, the BN seems to have slightly more eye relief than the BA.

The 17mm (technical) eye relief mentioned by allbinos appears more plausible than the 15.9 mentioned elsewhere; with the dynameter, I measure (from the rim of the eyecups) 14mm usable eye relief on my BA; the diameter of the eye lens is 20mm, the one of the eyecups 35mm (I assume identical with the BN).

Taken together, my BA 8x42 is well usable with glasses; with the eyecups fully pushed in, I even get occasional kidney beaning, so I can safely pull out the eyecups a little bit, even when using glasses (the BA has pull out-push in eyecups with no intermediate clickstops).

Again, this is the BA, not the BN, but I believe things are not much different on the BN.

fwiw Canip

Attachments

• rIMG_9874.jpg
    rIMG_9874.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 12
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back