• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TRIPOD ADVICE WANTED (1 Viewer)

I use a Benro 37c which is a carbon fibre model. I use a Gitzo video head on it with a Kowa 883 scope. The combination is very steady and sturdy even for estuary waching. I accept that the head might be a bit heavier than is needed but I got it used for a very good price. If I had to replace the tripod I would buy another Benro without hesitation.

I have not used a Scopac carrier but I do use a Cleyspy Mulepack (bought used) and that is a brilliant bit of kit. I imagine the Scopac would work just as well.

Thanks again for the replies and info.
As I do a lot of my birding on foot I'm afraid that the Berlebach type would be too heavy for me.
The Benro 37C looks good and similar design to my old one Manfrotto 443 with a central column. it's also slightly heavier than my existing.
I'm going to try the Leofoto without the central column and see how I get on with it. (it's only 1.43kg)
I'll let you all know how I get along.
Cheers
David

The only thing I'm not sure has been mentioned is the diameter of the lowest leg section. I have a four section Manfrotto with a lower leg diameter that's larger than some of their three-section models, making the tripod sturdier in reality than it might appear in comparison with others. My previous Manfrotto was an 055 that I used for architectural photography for about 25 years - there are so many more choices these days, but the model ranges can be confusing.

The only thing I'm not sure has been mentioned is the diameter of the lowest leg section. I have a four section Manfrotto with a lower leg diameter that's larger than some of their three-section models, making the tripod sturdier in reality than it might appear in comparison with others. My previous Manfrotto was an 055 that I used for architectural photography for about 25 years - there are so many more choices these days, but the model ranges can be confusing.

The Leofoto 323 which I have gone for has 3 sections 32mm/29mm/26mm as against my old Manfrotto Carbon One 433 which is 28/25/21 but then I suppose there is more to it than just the overall diameter of the sections. They both seem similarly stable but the Leofoto goes 300mm higher to the plate at top of the legs. Hopefully going without the centre column will be a benefit as far as stability.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back