• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trips from Delhi in November (1 Viewer)

RonW

looks like I'll be in Delhi for a few days in November and might be able to add a few days for some wildlife viewing. What "nearby" NP would people suggest for a chance at tigers? And are there nice birding areas close to Delhi itself?
Any tips on how to get around (taxi?) or best way to book lodgings in parks are appreciated.

Ranthambore is the nearest but still a fair way. I dont think there is anywhere close to Delhi with a chance of Tigers. Not far from the City is Sultanpur. Brilliant birding and often a guide available for a (smaller than they ask) fee. Tuklaquabad (sp) fort is good too and Lodhi Gardens for the commoner Indian birds. Hope you enjoy it

Taxis are good within the city but if you are travelling further afield it would be better to hire a car and driver - their company can often book you lodgings too. Have a look on the TripAdvisor Rajasthan forum. There are always plenty to give advice on there on hiring drivers. You might want to consider visiting Bharatpur too. excellent birding with hundreds of storks etc too. Plenty of accommodation there too. Hope this helps.

looks like I'll be in Delhi for a few days in November and might be able to add a few days for some wildlife viewing. What "nearby" NP would people suggest for a chance at tigers? And are there nice birding areas close to Delhi itself?
Any tips on how to get around (taxi?) or best way to book lodgings in parks are appreciated.

Don't bother to go to Ranthambore.1000 plus people a day are going round the designated circuits in cars buses and lorries so any self-respecting Tiger has long since retreated out of sight! For birding Sultanpur is excellent and is in the Delhi suburbs. Bharatpur and the Chambal River are reasonably close and are again superb areas.Forget Tiger unless you want a long journey to one of the other reserves where your chances of an encounter are much higher.
Tom Lawson.

Reports from Ranthambore by friends recently have been good for Tiger sightings. Both at separate times have seen Tigers on 2 out of their 3 drives.

Reports from Ranthambore by friends recently have been good for Tiger sightings. Both at separate times have seen Tigers on 2 out of their 3 drives.

Sorry if I have mislead you,but when I was there just over a year ago the situation was chaotic.In recent years a whole raft of hotels have been built just outside the reserve catering mainly for Indian tourists,so there were large numbers of people doing the designated circuits in everything from private cars to large buses.Maybe things have improved recently,or your friends were lucky.In the three days I was there I did four drives and managed 1 Leopard.There were no Tiger sightings by anybody on those three days,and I wasn't surprised.I did see Tiger there in 1984,but that was before mass tourism had arrived!
Tom Lawson.

The answer may well be somewhere in between. In 2011, my group saw a Tiger at R...

Marks out of 10 for the superb, massive, female Tiger - 10
Marks out of 10...... for the beauty of the park - 10
...for the way tourists are managed there - 1
...for how uplifting the whole experience was - 0.5

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back