• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trochilus duchassaini Bourcier, 1851 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Trochilus duchassaini Bourcier, 1851 OD here and again here

The Eponym Dictionary of Birds claims:
Duchassain's Hummingbird Lepidopyga coeruleogularis Gould, 1850 [Alt. Sapphire-throated Hummingbird; Trochilus duchassaini (Bourcier, 1851) is a JS]
We believe 'Duchassain' to be a transcription error and that the bird was named for Placide Duchassaing de Fonbressin (1819–1873), a zoologist who was active at the right time and in the right place. There are records of specimens of marine corals and sponges collected by him on the Panama coast (c.1850). Duchassaing was born on Guadeloupe, to a French Creole family of planters. He was sent to school in France and went to university in Paris, s, achieving a doctorate in medicine, geology and zoology. He returned to Guadeloupe as a physician. He travelled widely in the Caribbean to neighbouring islands: Nevis, St Eustatius, St Martin, St Barthélemy, St Croix, Cuba and also Panama, treating people during cholera outbreaks. He returned to France (1867) where he eventually died.

The Key to Scientific Names
Dr Édouard Placide Duchassaing de Fontbressin (1819-1873) French zoologist in the West Indies and Panama (syn. Lepidopyga coeruleogularis).

I am not sure if I can go 100% with it if I look here p 8 of 19

o 21/11 d 01/12/1818 Le Moule + 16/09/1873 La Retraite, Coulouniex près de Périgueux (Dordogne, 24) ; 56 ans, ancien médecin

He seems to be born 1818 in Le Moule. I tried to find his death but not in Périgueux in 1873 (as claimed e.g. in Wikipedia). No idea what La Retraite is and how to find it in archive en ligne. Regarding his birth if 21/11 or 01/12 is unknown to me. Maybe baptized 1. Dec. 1818 and born 21. Nov?

I tried to find his death but not in Périgueux in 1873 (as claimed e.g. in Wikipedia). No idea what La Retraite is and how to find it in archive en ligne.
"La Retraite" was presumably the name of his house or estate in Coulounieix.

Edmond Placide Duchassaing de Fontbressin

b. 21 Nov 1818 (birth declared 1 Dec), Le Moule (Guadeloupe): here, 79/90 (n° 70).
d. 16 Sep 1873, Coulounieix-Chamiers (Dordogne), aged 56: here, 7/10 (n° 21).

Last edited:
Trochilus duchassaini Bourcier, 1851 OD here
This was in n° 6 of vol. 32 (see footer of p. 181).
This n° was indicated as having been received by the Académie in the compte rendu of the séance of 17 Feb 1851 here.

Chrysuronia coeruleogularis (Gould, 1851)
= Trochilus coeruleogularis Gould 1851 here
This was in No. CCXI (see footer of p. 161).
This No. was indicated by Sclater 1893 as having been received from the printer by the Society on 28 Feb 1851 here.

I'd say duchassaini was first.
But I can't find it used after 1899, hence coeruleogularis should presumably be treated as protected by Art. 23.9.

Last edited:
Use after 1899. Simon used it as a subspecies name.
Histoire naturelle des Trochilid - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
Ah... (I hadn't looked for an emended spelling.) OK, no way to invoke 23.9 here then. :(

Duncan merely repeated what Sclater (not "Sharpe" as I had initially given above, sorry -- it's correct now) had published in 1893.

Last edited:
Sorry and when was the article in Revue et magasin de zoologie pure et appliquée published?
This one is here.
It's in the "February" issue, but this journal usually published the issue for a month in the first days of the next month, so early March is most likely. In any case after 25 Feb, as the same report also commented on the séance of that day here.

I grew cross with the late Eugene Simon for coming up with an emendation of duchassaini but then I learned it actually comes from Bonaparte 1854 in Conspectus volucrum anisodactylorum, Volume 1.

Conspectus volucrum anisodactylorum .

Bourcier’s name is a misspelling but it does not have to be corrected. I found no errata page in 1851 Rev. et Magasine Zool. There is an errata page of CR .

t.32 (1851) - Comptes rendus hebdomadaires des séances de l'Académie des sciences. - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

t.32 (1851) - Comptes rendus hebdomadaires des séances de l'Académie des sciences. - Biodiversity Heritage Library

International Code of Zoological Nomenclature .

I agree with the date of early March for Rev. et Mag. Zool but I have a hunch the C.R. was published in February 1851.

Daniel Giraud Elliot owned the Tr. Duchassaini type .

ELLIOT , D. G .... Humming birds , classification and synopsis of .... Smithsonian Contributions to Knowledge , v . 23 , xii , 277 p . , 127 fig . Jan. , 78. sep . No. 317

v.23 (1881) - Smithsonian contributions to knowledge - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

But in this publication Elliot uses another emendation duchassaigni! But this is from Gould in 1861.

An introduction to the Trochilidae, or family of humming-birds. - Biodiversity Heritage Library .

I was wondering if anyone had read this: Collection typique d'oiseaux mouches (Trochilidés) de feu Bourcier et 120 aquarelles d'après nature par Traviès, Prevot, Audebert, etc. dont la vente aux enchères publiques aura lieu le 4 Mars 1874 . And how it dealt with Tr. Duchassaini???
At McGill Univ..
Collection typique d'oiseaux mouches (Trochilidés) de feu Bourcier et 120 aquarelles d'après nature par Traviès, Prevot, Audebert, etc. dont la vente aux enchères publiques aura lieu le 4 Mars 1874. (Book, 1874) [WorldCat.org] .

Elliot called the type a juvenile male of Gould’s name, coeruleogularis.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back