• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tucson, Arizona. Agua Caliente (1 Viewer)

Liza Schu

Canada
Today I saw a small warbler sized bird. Black and white with similar patterning to a black and white warbler, but it had a yellow eye. Can anyone help me to ID it please?

Hi Liza. The only black and white bird with yellow eye I can think of is a Northern Mockingbird. I know that's bigger than a warbler, but sometimes size can be difficult. The only other thing I can think of would be a Black-throated Gray Warbler. That would resemble a Black and White Warbler, but the yellow would be a spot just in front of the eye, not the eye itself. That's all I can come up with. Maybe somebody else will come along with a better idea if neither one of those work.

Hi Liza. The only black and white bird with yellow eye I can think of is a Northern Mockingbird. I know that's bigger than a warbler, but sometimes size can be difficult. The only other thing I can think of would be a Black-throated Gray Warbler. That would resemble a Black and White Warbler, but the yellow would be a spot just in front of the eye, not the eye itself. That's all I can come up with. Maybe somebody else will come along with a better idea if neither one of those work.
Thank you, Sue. I have looked carefully at my nird book and agree with you that it is almost certainly the black throated grey! The size and the patterning and the flitting around the branches of a tree all fit perfectly.

Thanks!

Hi, Liza - first off welcome to the forum. And second if you have time while in Tucson you should check out the Rodger Road Sewer pond area, even though the plant closed a few years ago it is still a great place to bird.

Hi, Liza - first off welcome to the forum. And second if you have time while in Tucson you should check out the Rodger Road Sewer pond area, even though the plant closed a few years ago it is still a great place to bird.
You can take the girl out of Arizona, but.........;) Thanks for that tip Lisa, just in case I get the itch for another birding road trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back