• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twitching by numbers - Book only available on Amazon (1 Viewer)

I don't find the book offensive, i find it pretty crap tbh, i know i could write a more eloquent tome on my adventures, oh and leave the very tasty bits, for other more salacious outlets.
I am sick of the 'holier than thou culture that envelops our everyday lives, with a menacing sort of 'Fascism' attached, we are all right, you're wrong till you comply with our wokery beliefs.
Basically we are just damned hypocrites, but its ok behind closed doors to laugh till crying at say Micky flanagan, but that ok he's a comedian, no leave GB out of that analogy.

I don't find the book offensive, i find it pretty crap tbh, i know i could write a more eloquent tome on my adventures, oh and leave the very tasty bits, for other more salacious outlets.
I am sick of the 'holier than thou culture that envelops our everyday lives, with a menacing sort of 'Fascism' attached, we are all right, you're wrong till you comply with our wokery beliefs.
Basically we are just damned hypocrites, but its ok behind closed doors to laugh till crying at say Micky flanagan, but that ok he's a comedian, no leave GB out of that analogy. a
There seems to be a significant disparity between the number of people who could write an entertaining and readable account of recent twitching history in Britain and the number actually willing to do so. That's probably the case in most scenarios, but it seems even more so in this case.

I do think writing about recent twitching history without offending people is difficult, there's the carbon elephant in the room to start with. I did a short piece for an anthology that was published this year, but I couldn't even begin to contemplate writing a whole book on birding. I still feel that Garry deserves some credit, undoubted and indefensible howlers notwithstanding, for having a go at an increasingly challenging brief and even doing his own artwork.

Last edited:
There seems to be a significant disparity between the number of people who could write an entertaining and readable account of recent twitching history in Britain and the number actually willing to do so. That's probably the case in most scenarios, but it seems even more so in this case.

I do think making birding writing appealing without offending people is difficult. I did a short piece for an anthology that was published this year, but I couldn't even begin to contemplate writing a whole book on it. I still feel that Garry deserves some credit, undoubted howlers notwithstanding, for having a go at an increasingly challenging brief.
Couldn't agree more, i just think you need a bit of imagination, to be able to convey to the reader, 'Ooh i wish i was there, wow sounds brilliant, what a great time that must of been' the disturbing part was GB didn't realise the reaction he got is symptomatic of todays society, Just imagine if he'd of replied and said its my account of what i want to put down, if you don't like it, don't read it, jog on.....but no the keyboard warriors were offended, and worse offended for others!!!

Phoebe Snetsinger, her book is the best thing i've read on Twitching imho

Couldn't agree more, i just think you need a bit of imagination, to be able to convey to the reader, 'Ooh i wish i was there, wow sounds brilliant, what a great time that must of been' the disturbing part was GB didn't realise the reaction he got is symptomatic of todays society, Just imagine if he'd of replied and said its my account of what i want to put down, if you don't like it, don't read it, jog on.....but no the keyboard warriors were offended, and worse offended for others!!!

Phoebe Snetsinger, her book is the best thing i've read on Twitching imho

I wasn't personally offended (it just made me cringe) but anyone with any empathy in them can surely understand why some women might be.

It does seem that there's a tendency to quickly dismiss any valid criticism as 'woke' or people 'being over-sensitive' rather than trying to understand another's point of view.

There have been a few decent books on birding and birding cilture over the year's - I agree Phoebe Snetsinger's book was good and enjoyed Mark Cocker's too.

I wasn't personally offended (it just made me cringe) but anyone with any empathy in them can surely understand why some women might be.

It does seem that there's a tendency to quickly dismiss any valid criticism as 'woke' or people 'being over-sensitive' rather than trying to understand another's point of view.

There have been a few decent books on birding and birding cilture over the year's - I agree Phoebe Snetsinger's book was good and enjoyed Mark Cocker's too.
Because it's the same characters, peddling the same, victimistic, vitriol, even on behalf of others.

Because it's the same characters, peddling the same, victimistic, vitriol, even on behalf of others.

Personally, I think it's more an attempt to stifle debate and avoid uncomfortable discussion of bigotted and archaic viewpoints.

Anyway, this thread was developing into an interesting discussion of books on twitching in general, before the tired 'woke' accusations resurfaced, I suggest returning to discussion of books is more productive.

The point is that a large number of women did take to twitter to say that they felt uncomfortable when birding around men and that this added to this discomfort. The fact that their view point has been dismissed by some on here as "the same characters, peddling the same, victimistic, vitriol" really does prove their point. Their viewpoint needs to be listened to carefully. Nobody should feel uncomfortable among other birders whatever their sex, sexuality or race. I'm afraid visiting this forum would add to those concerns for many.

Last edited:
The point is that a large number of women did take to twitter to say that they felt uncomfortable when birding around men and that this added to this discomfort. The fact that their view point has been dismissed by some on here as "the same characters, peddling the same, victimistic, vitriol" really does prove their point. Their viewpoint needs to be listened too carefully. Nobody should feel uncomfortable among other birders whatever their sex, sexuality or race. I'm afraid visiting this forum would add to those concerns for many.
The irony that having set up an inclusive twitching group which included around 40 female members, Gary has now left the group as a result of the observations made in the book.

Personally, I think it's more an attempt to stifle debate and avoid uncomfortable discussion of bigotted and archaic viewpoints.

Anyway, this thread was developing into an interesting discussion of books on twitching in general, before the tired 'woke' accusations resurfaced, I suggest returning to discussion of books is more productive.
Best days with British Birds although not a book about twitching has stories about twitches and rare birds included. Excellent read.

John Dunns twitching/seeing hummers is compulsive, as is the dude who goes after the Pittas
John Dunns..... The Glitter in the Green
Chris Goodie....The Jewel Hunter

This was my first book I've ever written. I made a mistake in the early chapters and got my editor to remove various sections that offended folk.

I've tried to remove my first edition from Amazon but this has proved fruitless. Amazon acts a bit like a library, once a person has bought/read the book they have the option to return. Amazon then resell at a lower price, on the original advert. I've managed to get onto Amazon and warn readers about the original edition and suggest buying the new book instead.

Overall, I'm glad I wrote this book. I believe it's a good read for any British and or Irish Birdwatcher who wants to know about the twitching scene. I've seen 554 species in Britain and Ireland and the book contains loads of exciting twitches that I hope inspire others to take a similar journey to me.

I've had over 50 personal comments from different birdwatchers/twitchers saying they love the book.

My new book has been selling well and Amazon have temporarily reduced the price to £10.86. If you click on the attached link you can read lots of chapter 1, and if you click on the author picture it shows a video and few more pages of the book.

Thanks for reading

garry

I've just spent the last year writing a book about the last 24 years of twitching birds in Britain and Ireland. This might interest some individuals that visit the rare bird thread. The book details what happens during my twitch, credits finder and categorises each rarity (1-year, 2-year, 3-year, 4-year, 5-year, 10-year, 20-year and lifetime). I've also drawn one rarity for each of the 24 years.

Amazon show a sample of Chapter 1 on their website.

Twitching by numbers: Twenty-four years of chasing rare birds around Britain and Ireland

I have also been fond of birds for a long time. Then my interest faded away. I started looking into exploratory essays, found https://samplius.com/essay-types/exploratory-essays/ for this. It all happened because of college. I wouldn't have come to this on my own. Then I combined these two cases together. It turns out that I am now engaged in the study of rare birds. I don't know what could be better than what is happening now in my life! It's cool, I just get high from every day.
This is actually very impressive. What you are doing deserves applause in your address.

Last edited:
Without wanting to open the can of worms again this is now £3.91 on Amazon. I don't know if this is the edited one or not but I've ordered one so I can finally judge for myself for less than the price of a pint of fancy lager.

If anyone knows of good recent writing about the British twitching scene I'd be interested as I think there's a real paucity. This includes online (post-Punkbirder) and in magazines (post Anthony McGeehan).

Without wanting to open the can of worms again this is now £3.91 on Amazon. I don't know if this is the edited one or not but I've ordered one so I can finally judge for myself for less than the price of a pint of fancy lager.

If anyone knows of good recent writing about the British twitching scene I'd be interested as I think there's a real paucity. This includes online (post-Punkbirder) and in magazines (post Anthony McGeehan).
This one is the original the revised version is £20. A serious amount of money for a book of this type whatever the quality of the contents! I don't know how Amazon's algorithms work around pricing it seems very complicated with a lot of books at unrealistic prices.

This one is the original the revised version is £20. A serious amount of money for a book of this type whatever the quality of the contents! I don't know how Amazon's algorithms work around pricing it seems very complicated with a lot of books at unrealistic prices.
Thanks Andy.

It's £3.53 now. I've read it and all the flaws that are detailed up thread remain absolutely and completely valid but if you've followed twitching over the last quarter of a century better value than a pint of lager, fancy or not...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back