• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two from Shams Alam Egypt last week (1 Viewer)

markm

England
First two flew off from a small lagoon 2km south of the Shams Alam hotel . They looked and sounded like bittern but it would be out of normal range ?there were 4 of them.
The third one was on a jeep trip to 'Cleopatra's temple' about 40km inland of the Shams Alam in a large very dry wadi, nubian nightjar?

Attachments

• Img_7848crop.jpg
    Img_7848crop.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7849crop.JPG
    IMG_7849crop.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Img_7769crop.jpg
    Img_7769crop.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 77
I suspect your herons are Striated.

The Nightjar could well be Nubian but I don't have any experience of the species.

Much much bigger than striated .There were a few striated around the hotel on the reef flats. We also had a flock of night herons fly over one night but the photos were of different birds.

Attachments

• Img_6995crop.jpg
    Img_6995crop.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 55
I see. I guess it's possible they were Eurasian Bitterns, which have a harsh flight call(although I've never heard it). They could occur on passage on that coast.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back