• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ultravid 10x25 BR. My first alpha class pocketable binocular. (1 Viewer)

rdnzl

Not Sure.
United States
I saw these on sale for $50 off, and after the recommendations from members here and some reviews around the net, I took the plunge. My only real experience with anything close to this small was some old Pentax and a not overly expensive Nikon compact that I can't remember the model of. They were child's toys compared to these. They were dim and dreary, with mediocre contrast and about not all that sharp.

I can really see what all the fuss is about. The views are impressive, to say the least. There is a sign down the block that I can see from my porch that is sort of the benchmark that I use to check for sharpness and focus. There is larger letters on top and some very small letters at the bottom of it. I think of it as an eye chart for my optics. These binoculars do not have any trouble at all with resolving the smallest letters. Everything is in perfect focus, and nice and bright. Superb color and contrast. But I'm guessing that most of you already know these things. I know that they don't have the widest FOV on paper, but in practice, I did not feel constrained at all in regards to the field of view. I did not experience any blackout issues.

The build quality is really solid. They have some heft to them for something of this size. The eye cups are good for me, and I am able to hold these binoculars quite still by putting my thumbs on my cheekbones and my index fingers across my brows, with the tubes resting at the base of my pinky fingers. It makes sort of a tripod. Very nice. 10 power that I can hold very still is a very good thing.

They provide view quality that many full sized binoculars can't even do. At least the mid range ones that I own....Kowa, Athlon, Maven, Vortex, Pentax and some others. I am not at all surprised, but I AM very impressed. These are going to go everywhere with me.

N0ntUQE.jpg

JIFnLYY.jpg

I saw these on sale for $50 off, and after the recommendations from members here and some reviews around the net, I took the plunge. My only real experience with anything close to this small was some old Pentax and a not overly expensive Nikon compact that I can't remember the model of. They were child's toys compared to these. They were dim and dreary, with mediocre contrast and about not all that sharp.

I can really see what all the fuss is about. The views are impressive, to say the least. There is a sign down the block that I can see from my porch that is sort of the benchmark that I use to check for sharpness and focus. There is larger letters on top and some very small letters at the bottom of it. I think of it as an eye chart for my optics. These binoculars do not have any trouble at all with resolving the smallest letters. Everything is in perfect focus, and nice and bright. Superb color and contrast. But I'm guessing that most of you already know these things. I know that they don't have the widest FOV on paper, but in practice, I did not feel constrained at all in regards to the field of view. I did not experience any blackout issues.

The build quality is really solid. They have some heft to them for something of this size. The eye cups are good for me, and I am able to hold these binoculars quite still by putting my thumbs on my cheekbones and my index fingers across my brows, with the tubes resting at the base of my pinky fingers. It makes sort of a tripod. Very nice. 10 power that I can hold very still is a very good thing.

They provide view quality that many full sized binoculars can't even do. At least the mid range ones that I own....Kowa, Athlon, Maven, Vortex, Pentax and some others. I am not at all surprised, but I AM very impressed. These are going to go everywhere with me.

N0ntUQE.jpg

JIFnLYY.jpg
Nice Pictures

I was out last night for a. little while, and in between some clouds, I pointed them skyward. For a binocular with only 25mm objectives, they did pretty well. A nice dark background with pinpoint stars. I didn't have much time with them, but I was surprised they were as bright as they were. Must be magic or something. Coatings? Every other pocket binocular I've owned has been almost worthless for stargazing. I have other bins for stargazing, and these would never be my first choice, but if they were all I had with me, I think I could get some enjoyment out of them.

One more observation. The diopter adjustment method on these is pure genius. One it is set, there is no way it gets bumped out of alignment.

I just did the impossible. I made these great binoculars even better. I bought drop down objective covers, and a pair of microscope rubber eyepiece guards.

The objective caps fit perfectly and do what I want them to do.

Now here is where is gets really good. The microscope ocular guards fit perfectly, and with the Leica eyecups pushed in, they provide the perfect amount of eye relief for no blackouts whatsoever, and they allow me to press them into my eye sockets and eliminate stray light from the side hitting my eyes. I thought they might work decently, but they really are an upgrade for me. No more needing to get the binoculars positioned just right by touching my eyebrows with the eyecups. Each time I put them to my face, now they are perfectly aligned.

I am sure that I'm not the first person to try this, but if you own a pair of these bins, I'd suggest you give it a try. You might be as impressed as I am.

NS6R7jb.jpg

E1v3BVI.jpg

kyvWgEB.jpg

Congrats rdnzl. Those are super nice binoculars. My partner has a pair and I use them all the time. Really a wonderful pair.

Fabulous !!, please tell us where you bought the microscope rubber eyepiece guards and the Opticron caps I also want a pair for the Victory 8x25

Fabulous !!, please tell us where you bought the microscope rubber eyepiece guards and the Opticron caps I also want a pair for the Victory 8x25
I bought them on Amazon. You just need to measure the diameter of your tubes at the front for the caps, and the diameter of your eyeguards. Keep in mind they are both made of softish rubber and will stretch a little bit. I am very happy with how well they work. I even went one further and added Opticron caps that fit over the microscope rubber eye guards. for those times when I take them out in heavy weather.

lH4mH2C.jpg

VzB4K3k.jpg

Unfortunately, microscope rubber eyepiece guards are no longer in stock on Amazon. Maybe it's just your post to blame, everyone rushed to buy. 🤣

I think you can also get them from B&H and Adorama. But they come in and out of stock on Amazon quite frequently. For me, a non eyeglass wearer, they work absolutely perfectly. They shut out light and provide the perfect eye relief with the Leica cups pushed in all the way.

I got the 25mm Opticron covers for my 8x20 Ultravids. I used them until I noticed that the covers were rubbing on the glass (the UV objective glass is very close to the end of the barrels, and the Opticron covers are indented). So, for me, not a good option... better to have no objective cover than one that touches the glass.

Last edited:
Maybe the 10x25's lenses are set deeper in the barrel than the 8x20's? Dunno. Or maybe you haven't used them enough to know how the'll react over time in the field? I didn't think mine were touching either until over time the little raised numbers "31086" left a clear and visible ghost image on each lens.

1E03D192-2D53-4C67-A653-CC1B8B138706_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe the 10x25's lenses are set deeper in the barrel than the 8x20's? Dunno. Or maybe you haven't used them enough to know how the'll react over time in the field? I didn't think mine were touching either until over time the little raised numbers "31086" left a clear and visible ghost image on each lens.

View attachment 1471975

Yes that's the case the 10x25 objectives are set a bit deeper than the 8x20.

Mike

I got the 25mm Opticron covers for my 8x20 Ultravids. I used them until I noticed that the covers were rubbing on the glass (the UV objective glass is very close to the end of the barrels, and the Opticron covers are indented). So, for me, not a good option... better to have no objective cover than one that touches the glass.
I had the same problem with my Meoptas... you might like to see my fix in the Meopta Thread to take the inside of the cover away from the objective lens.
It's under 'My short and simple take on the Meopta Meostars'.... It's a cheap and easy fix 👍

Last edited:
I had the same problem with my Meoptas... you might like to see my fix in the Meopta Thread to take the inside of the cover away from the objective lens.
It's under 'My short and simple take on the Meopta Meostars'.... It's a cheap and easy fix

Nice fix for that binocular. Problem is, the little 25mm Opticron barely has enough grip/tension to hang on to the 20mm Leica. Taking away more surface area will render it useless.

The objective covers are probably not a good option for the 20mm Leica. They work great on my UV 10x25. They don't come close to the glass. I cut a small piece of lens paper to fit inside the covers, and after I put the caps on, I used my fingers and pushed on the center of the rubber to see how far away the glass is. Not going to touch unless I really poke at them . But I could go without them if I had to. They are the same ones that fit my Maven 7x28.
There are probably other caps out there that would fit that might be harder rubber, or even plastic, that might work for the 8x20

It's the microscope eye cups that I am really happy with. They give me a perfect "mount" of the binoculars every time with no fiddling around to get the view "just right".

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back