• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified (Calliphox) Woodstar sp at Camarones, Guajira, Colombia.. (1 Viewer)

Jens Thalund

On 7 May 2019 I was birding the dry shrub near Camarones, on the Caribbean coast in Northern Colombia, when I noticed a small hummingbird perched in the top of a bush some 25 meters away.

I quickly realised, that it was one of the Calliphlox Woodstars, in female/juvenile plumage, due to the rufous belly, white throat, long white eye-brow behind the eye, white puffs at the legs and small size.

No Calliphlox species should occur on the dry Caribbean coast, with the nearest being Santa Marta Woodstar in the Santa Marta mountains, but I am not familiar enough with this family, to rule out Amethyst or White-bellied Woodstar, both of which seem as unlikely to be found near Camarones, several hundred km from their nearest distribution.

I hope someone with more detailed knowledge will be able to comment on the bird, see attached photos.

Cheers

Jens

Attachments

• P1340497.jpg
    P1340497.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 13
  • P1340493.jpg
    P1340493.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 15
  • P1340495.jpg
    P1340495.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 36
Not sure what else it could be, but note the amount of rufous visible at the top of the tail/rump is fairly extreme for that species judging by photos—appears more like gorgeted woodstar.

I agree that the amount of rufous on the rump would suggest female Gorgeted Woodstar, but that would be even more out of place than Santa Marta Woodstar. It could also be the rufous undertail coverts showing above slightly lowered wings, in which case Santa Marta Woodstar is back on!
Unfortunately I lack any good litterature on identifying female woodstars (if it exists), so any feedback would be welcomed.

Jens

Last edited:
Check all possible woodstars. They can disperse and I wouldn’t rule out those species from further away.

Unfortunately, the Neotropical Birds ONline is not complete with several of these species. However the media uploaded there are usually well checked (the ones from Maculay library further down not necessarily equally well checked). Here is link to two of them:
https://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu/Species-Account/nb/species/samwoo2/multimedia/photos
https://neotropical.birds.cornell.edu/Species-Account/nb/species/gorwoo2/multimedia/photos

Niels
Thanks, Niels. If you look at the linked Macaulay links for SM woodstar you'll see what I mean about the rufous in the rump area. I did find some images which are closer to the OP's, and quality of image above makes judging difficult. I'd be surprised if it is gorgeted given the range difference. When I was in the area in 2017 locals said climate change meant phenology and distribution of things was all over the place: I missed several species which were uncharacteristically absent (so anything's possible)

this:
When I was in the area in 2017 locals said climate change meant phenology and distribution of things was all over the place: I missed several species which were uncharacteristically absent (so anything's possible)

is an argument against this:

I'd be surprised if it is gorgeted given the range difference.

I wouldn't rule out Gorgeted / White-bellied (and obviously, Santa Marta), but I have to look into plumage difference / literature more (I looked at images in the internet, but those don't give clear indications on ID.

Last edited:
this:

is an argument against this:

I wouldn't rule out Gorgeted / White-bellied (and obviously, Santa Marta), but I have to look into plumage difference / literature more (I looked at images in the internet, but those don't give clear indications on ID.

Think the rufous [unds] means that white-bellied is one we can rule out: suggest it's between SM and gorgeted. I personally think the former, but not sure the photos of the rump area are good enough to definitely rule out the latter

Hi all,

thanks for all your feedback …. I know it's a diificult subject given the distance of the bird in the photos and the lack of knowledge on female/immature plumages in litterature, but it's certain, that it's a Woodstar and it is out of range/habitat. Even if it is 'just' a Santa Marta Woodstar it is 50+ km out of range and several hundred meters below normal altitude of distribution.

I'll try and contact some of the well known Colombian birders, and see, if they have any take on this bird...they do see the birds more regularly, and hopefully know more about plumage variation.

Cheers

Jens

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back