• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified duck. (2 Viewers)

Rudegar

Hi!,
Is this guy a hybrid of sorts?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Duck 1.jpg
    Duck 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 62
  • Duck 2.jpg
    Duck 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
  • Duck 3.jpg
    Duck 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 62
Hello,

yes in the end it will be a domestic duck, but:

(biased by the Common Shelduck in the picture?) I wondered, if this could be a Mallard x Common Shelduck hybrid (or one with another Tardona species)?
  • is the neck slightly more slender than normal?
  • is the bill slightly more drwan out than normal?
  • its rare for domestic ducks/manky Mallards to have flesh coloured legs (and then a sign of Muscovy Duck ancestry?) like this bird seems to have
  • yes flanks are paler grey than normal and brown area between the breast and the flanks might well indicate this hybrid combination, but dmoestic ducks are so variable and this is surely within variation (yes what a sentence when considering domestic ducks I know)
I searched for this hybrid combination online but didnt found a picture. And yes, it might well be aDomestic Duck. But I hope for Jörn and others to habe a look so I can sleep well (... you know)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back