• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified Nesting Bird, South-East England (1 Viewer)

To all the pied wagtail advocates, if it's a summer-plumaged female pied wagtail then why does it not show a black chin and throat? Why is its tail not black? Why does it not have long, pointed tertials that cover the entire wing? Why is the distance from wing tip to tail tip so short?

The most recent photo does give a vague impression of a pied wag, but the bird is still identifiable in all three images as a spotted flycatcher.

I think we can say with confidence it's a pied wagtail from that image.

Thanks for the new picture Jake. That nails the ID. Lets hope she raises a brood. Cheers.

Hi again guys,

If you're still interested in this thread, today whilst repotting some plants I saw the bird on the nest flying about and got out my phone and got a video, you really can't see much of her.
However there is a couple of seconds of footage of her flying, and you can hear her making noises (sort of a zeep-zeep sound, two notes in very quick succession)

I've listened to calls of the Spotted Flycatcher and Pied Wagtail and I'm not really convinced maybe @PaulCountyDurham has a suggestion?

I hope this helps, any thoughts appreciated.

Google Drive Link To Video

Thanks again, Jake

Glad it's finally been identified and I shall have the decency to apologise for my incorrect ID opinions and eat my humble pie with a dash of custard.

That said, the loaded sarcasm from certain contributors to this thread has certainly made me reconsider contributing to any further ones (although I'm sure they'll be thinking that's not a great loss based on this ID!)

Hello Allen,
please dont do that. I followed this thread, learned much from it, and please note, that some words written here are surely not meant as an offense. Please note, that the amount of knowledge presented here is result of many people bringing experience and views together that results in an online-reference, that is a useful addition to any field-guide! The puzzle is only complete with all pieces!

Glad it's finally been identified and I shall have the decency to apologise for my incorrect ID opinions and eat my humble pie with a dash of custard.

That said, the loaded sarcasm from certain contributors to this thread has certainly made me reconsider contributing to any further ones (although I'm sure they'll be thinking that's not a great loss based on this
No Allen, please go on posting! I hope it wasn't me whose posts felt sarcastically to you?! If so, I apologise.

Everyone here has been and will be wrong with their IDs every now and then - some more so than others ;). Give the quality of the OP pics there is no surprise that one could see different species...

No Allen, please go on posting! I hope it wasn't me whose posts felt sarcastically to you?! If so, I apologise.

Everyone here has been and will be wrong with their IDs every now and then - some more so than others ;). Give the quality of the OP pics there is no surprise that one could see different species...
Absolutely agree, I am thankful for everyone’s contributions and if my phone had a bit better of a camera on it, we would’ve all been able to confirm it much easier!

Good news though, my mums camera who she lent to her friend is coming back tonight, so I’ll get us a good picture on the nest so we can see just how awful my phones camera is and how much easier it would’ve been.

Sarcasm is a very British thing and as we’re all reading words on screens here, it can be hard to tell the tone of people.
Thanks again so much for everyone’s contributions, helping motivate and inspire the younger generation of birdwatching.

Furthermore, I have discovered that a pair of Goldfinches have started building a nest in the wisteria on the front of my house, don't need help identifying them though, I'll attach some photos

Attachments

• IMG_5699.MOV
    5.7 MB
  • IMG_5701.PNG
    IMG_5701.PNG
    5.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5710.PNG
    IMG_5710.PNG
    3.7 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back