• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young bird identification urgent (1 Viewer)

Corsander

United States
Hi all! My sister called me since I’ve raised and bred various captive/pet birds before because she has come across a chick that she hopes to save. It’s too late for me to tell her to leave it alone sadly 😅 but I don’t know much about identifying or feeding wild birds and I was hoping someone could help me out on what to advise her. Thanks. Location Cornwall UK17704C2D-37BD-47E9-A250-086DAAB1357B.jpeg

Attachments

• A5E2A024-5403-4C36-933B-16F40D3AF3BE.jpeg
    A5E2A024-5403-4C36-933B-16F40D3AF3BE.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 7
Hello,
welcome to birdforum! Thanks for joining us to help this baby bird.
I agree with you, the best advice for such a young bird is bringing it back into its nest as soon as possible. Is this still an option here?

General guidelines are here:

Hi Corsander and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Alexander is right, if it's at all possible to try and get it back to the nest as it's almost impossible to rear such young birds. However, I'm wondering if it might have been pushed out of the nest by a cuckoo? Although that sounds a bit early but not impossible I guess. I can't otherwise work out what may have happened unless the nest had fallen to the ground in gales.

Alexander has also given you a link to our basic guidelines for this circumstance, which I hope you find useful... perhaps you could email your sister a copy of it.

In order for our ID experts to be able to help it would probably be useful if you could let them know what the habitat is where your sister lives and what species she sees in the area.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back