• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified passerine (1 Viewer)

peterginsburg

Bird seen on 23 September at sea on cruise ship between Kushiro and Muroran, Japan. All photos are of same bird, numbers for reference only.

Peter

Attachments

• mystery bird 1.jpg
    mystery bird 1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 50
  • mystery bird 2.jpg
    mystery bird 2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 50
  • mystery bird 3.jpg
    mystery bird 3.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 50
I think this must be either Narcissus Flycatcher female or Blue-and-White Flycatcher female.

I think it's Narcissus - general appearance, plus olive-looking back, plus rufous in the tail. Also, the white splodge on the wing, clearly visible in 2 and 3, is something I have noted as a Narcissus female feature.

Narcissus breeds near me, but the females are very non-confiding and rarely seen, unlike the males which display. Blue-and white breeds nearby at higher elevations where I rarely go partly because the birds are sometimes heard, but not much seen in the dark forest in summer. So, I should in theory know the difference, but in practice it's not so easy.

Last edited:
I agree with female Narcissus Flycatcher. As well as the rufous tail that MacNara mentions, I think the contrasting wing (pale tips to greater and median coverts, rufous fringe to tertials) fit better for Narcissus, and the legs look a bit too strong and too pale grey for Blue-and-White.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back