• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unidentified Terns - Lake Victoria, Entebbe, Uganda (12.iii.2019) (1 Viewer)

Cabintom

Hi all! I'm new to birding, and as I live in DRCongo and frequently travel to Uganda & Kenya, there are apparently lots of species to see.

A little over a week ago I was down in Entebbe, Uganda where, among other birds, I snapped a few pictures of this flock of unidentified terns.

https://download.ams.birds.cornell.edu/api/v1/asset/146813731/1800

https://download.ams.birds.cornell.edu/api/v1/asset/146813701/1800

I have "Birds of Africa south of the Sahara, 2nd Ed." by Sinclair & Ryan, but I haven't been able to narrow the ID down past Gull-billed Terns, Whiskered Terns or White-winged Terns. Maybe it's a mixed flock? The variation between individuals, especially those perched, is leading me to confusion.

They are 'Marsh' Terns which includes Black, White-winged Black and Whiskered Terns. I can certainly see several White-winged Black Terns, but in amongst the others, I'm not sure...

The first photo includes mostly White-winged Black Terns (also known as White-winged Terns), with 2 clear Whiskered Terns on the extreme right of the image (those with the black hood); there are a few other candidates for Whiskered there, (those that appear to have a longer bill) but cannot confirm those from this image.
On image #2 (in flight) I see only White-winged Black Terns in various moult stages. Key features to confirm are length of bill (should always appear short), any trace of black on the underwing coverts and white-rump; a few that have fully white UWC share the same structure and relative size with the others.
Black Tern is a very rare vagrant to East Africa (I'm not sure there are actually any records on Lake Victoria).

The first photo includes mostly White-winged Black Terns (also known as White-winged Terns), with 2 clear Whiskered Terns on the extreme right of the image (those with the black hood); there are a few other candidates for Whiskered there, (those that appear to have a longer bill) but cannot confirm those from this image.
On image #2 (in flight) I see only White-winged Black Terns in various moult stages. Key features to confirm are length of bill (should always appear short), any trace of black on the underwing coverts and white-rump; a few that have fully white UWC share the same structure and relative size with the others.
Black Tern is a very rare vagrant to East Africa (I'm not sure there are actually any records on Lake Victoria).

Amazing! Thank you for the detailed explanation.

I know I'm overlooking something, but why was the Gull-billed Tern dismissed as a possibility?

Amazing! Thank you for the detailed explanation.

I know I'm overlooking something, but why was the Gull-billed Tern dismissed as a possibility?

Gull-billed Terns are much larger than any marsh tern, but especially than White-winged Black Terns (it's total length could be almost twice that of WWBT; GBT: 35-42 cm, WWBT: 20-24 cm). Legs are much longer than any other tern and bill quite thick. A Gull-billed Tern among the WWBT would stand out as a sore thumb :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back