• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown bird - central Alabama, USA. (1 Viewer)

TannerR.G

United States
Hello, everyone! I recorded this audio of the bird in question back in April of this year. I was hearing the bird throughout most of March, and in April I decided to download the birding app Merlin to try to identify it, but Merlin was only identifying background birds. I then tried BirdNET, which gave more results but none of them matched the bird I was hearing.
I never got to see the bird, it was very secretive and always remained high up in the trees in dense woods. Where I live there are a few large pastures and those pastures are surrounded by dense mixed forests that go on for quite a few miles.
I wouldn't doubt if this bird is fairly well known and I'm just oblivious to it because I'm very new to birding.
Either way, any information helps. Thanks!

Attachments

• UnknownBird.mp3
    136.7 KB
It's a very neat sound! My best guess is Blue Jay, which can frequently make these types of gurgling whistles that are hard to place. I think there is a different Blue Jay vocalization right around the 6 to 7 second mark of the audio, too.

It's a very neat sound! My best guess is Blue Jay, which can frequently make these types of gurgling whistles that are hard to place. I think there is a different Blue Jay vocalization right around the 6 to 7 second mark of the audio, too.
This was my first thought as well, but, being from Canada, I am not well versed in all the local birds of Alabama

Users who are viewing this thread

Back