• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown Warbler - Spain (2 Viewers)

stablewill

Hello,

this was in Spain in Castilla-y-Leon around the 22nd June. I don't have any idea how to seperate Subalpine/Spectacled based on this picture, and that's what I presume it is.

Sadly the photos are the only clue I have, as it was a very brief encounter. The rest all leave the subject blurred beyond recognition but can be provided if this isn't enough - they probably provide a better idea of colouring.

Thanks in advance,

David

Last edited:
I get a subalpine feel from it - but it would be very useful to post the other photos if possible.

seem to be a def moustache so i'd go with subalpine - was my initial reaction to th first thumbnail until I opened it....

Next up...

Thank you very much, folks. Can you also confirm that this is a Little Bustard for me?

Last edited:
Thanks again! I'm new to all of this foreign business. The Bustards seemed a shoe-in, but one appeared to have black legs, and they seemed to be larger than the 'pheasant-sized' suggestion from my Collins and no plumage detail was definitive, and with no idea on juveniles I couldn't say with certainty what I believed to be the case. The moustache struck me first on the warbler, but then shortly after so did the eye ring and the pale chin, it all left me a bit baffled in the end - though I was leaning towards Subalpine so I think I'm happy to tick it. Once again, thanks everyone,

David

Hi David

Subalpine is the conclusion, and I have no doubts there. I just wanted to add that it was always going to be the likely species, just judging from the surrounding vegetation: bramble bush. That would be a less likely perch for a Spectacled Warbler.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back