• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird in North Central Texas (1 Viewer)

Scrogdog

I was at my lake house this weekend taking photos of birds that I usually see there. Spotted a Eastern Phoebe, which are fairly common here, sitting on a cable on a dock down by the water and took a photo, then spotted what I thought was another one on an electrical line much closer to me, but after looking at the photo I had taken, decided it wasn't a Phoebe. Thought maybe it might be a White eyed Vireo which are found in our part of the world, but I personally have not seen very many times. Would anyone like to comment?

Attachments

• IMG_6944.JPG
    IMG_6944.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6945.JPG
    IMG_6945.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
Not a white-eyed vireo (has reddish eyes, and looks very different): think the buffy wing bars point towards immature Eastern Phoebe rather than an Empidonax flycatcher. i.e. something a bit like this:

ML257223461 Eastern Phoebe Macaulay Library

but it's difficult to be sure
You may be right. Hadn't thought about immature Phoebe and we have a mature pair that have hatched two sets in a nest above our back porch this Spring and Summer. Just not familiar with the Vireo since I haven't seen any, but know they are around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back