• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual Nest Site for Seattle Anna's Hummingbird (2 Viewers)

Robert / Seattle

This sweetheart is one of a few that have been overwintering in my yard for the past few years. She, or her predecessor, nested in one of my Rhododendron trees two years ago, but I thought this nest site to be a bit unusual -- atop the log suet feeder hanging from one of our feeder stations just 12 feet from our dining room window.

I'll let you know when they hatch.

Attachments

• L1010213.jpg
    L1010213.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 260
  • L1010216.jpg
    L1010216.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 212
  • L1010218.jpg
    L1010218.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 223
LOL ! that is amazing Robert ! - Hope it all works out for them. A pretty practical idea I suppose. If the nestlings ever hatch, I hope they dont think they are being attacked by a giant bat !:eek!: Def. send photos if they hatch - very cool ! :t:

Last edited:
This sweetheart is one of a few that have been overwintering in my yard for the past few years. She, or her predecessor, nested in one of my Rhododendron trees two years ago, but I thought this nest site to be a bit unusual -- atop the log suet feeder hanging from one of our feeder stations just 12 feet from our dining room window.

I'll let you know when they hatch.

Great story, Robert. You surely must keep this thread updated as nesting progresses. And I love the little umbrella!:-O

Joanne

Great story, Robert. You surely must keep this thread updated as nesting progresses. And I love the little umbrella!:-O

Joanne

Will do, Joanne. And with new photos as the hatchlings reveal themselves. All of this should take place within the next three weeks, including fledging.

Anna seems to like the umbrella as well. It's raining today and she is high and dry on her throne. Interesting to ponder if her site choice was the consequence of some level of reasoning or "instinct", because black metal umbrellas are not all that common in nature.

Singing in the rain,
Robert

Joanne

Big day for Anna. I witnessed her laying her egg(s) at about 10 AM Pacific Time (I saw at least one, and she struggled a bit thereafter, so I'm assuming its a normal clutch of 2 or 3). And as I write there is a rather steady snowfall, demonstrating the wisdom of her choice in nest sites. Pictures below, and more to follow if anything of interest develops.

(PS. Forgive the "soft" photos; they're shot through a closed window).

Attachments

• L1010227.jpg
    L1010227.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 142
  • L1010227_1.jpg
    L1010227_1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Ahhhh...poor Anna. |=(| Bet she wishes she were back in Mexico.....they do go there for the winter don't they? You need one of those sugary feeder things.

Ahhhh...poor Anna. |=(| Bet she wishes she were back in Mexico.....they do go there for the winter don't they? You need one of those sugary feeder things.

Actually, Joanne, she and her kin are year-round residents. Apparently the Puget Sound region is just mild enough, with the assistance of plentiful hummer feeders (of which I maintain 3), to ensure a steady and healthy population.

Still, one tough bird though.

Cheers,
Robert / Freezing in Seattle

(PS. Our "summer" Hummingbird, Rufous, winters in Mexico).

Last edited:
Hi Robert. A great story. I hope she gets to raise her chicks and they don't end up as a tasty morsel for some predator. I have only seen one Hummer, a Ruby-throat in NY. I first saw it out of the corner of my eye and I thought a Wasp (no not the religious collective) I wasn't prepared for something so small, the iridescence was stunning. Anyway I hope it all turns out well, I will look in for progress reports.

Twite.

Hi Robert. A great story. I hope she gets to raise her chicks and they don't end up as a tasty morsel for some predator. I have only seen one Hummer, a Ruby-throat in NY. I first saw it out of the corner of my eye and I thought a Wasp (no not the religious collective) I wasn't prepared for something so small, the iridescence was stunning. Anyway I hope it all turns out well, I will look in for progress reports.

Twite.

Greetings, Twite ...

Thanks for your post. And yes, what a remarkable group of birds Hummers are. Friday's snow episode continued off and on throughout the day, creating a dramatic contrast for a scene normally associated with warmer climates (photos posted below; again, a bit soft as they're all through windows). The last image shows Anna off her nest at one of the feeder stations (front porch), while the third image shows a male (the "boyfriend", I'm assuming) at the back porch feeder. A second female has also been regularly spotted at the feeders.

Yesterday, a mob of crows alerted me to a Sharpie who burst from the yard into a nearby tree - with no catch in sight. First thing I did was scope Anna's nest - she remains well (the Sharpie was likely after one of the passerines who frequent another feeder station in the back). The cone-shaped baffle on the feeder/nest post (seen in photo #1) will hopefully foil any 4-legged climbers (raccoons, etc) on a food run.

I've scoped her nest at 3AM when the temperature dipped into the upper 20's (Farenheit), where she could be observed absolutely motionless. Usually, a rapid breathing is obvious, but my guess is that I was witnessing her in torpor, the hibernating-state that allows these little bundles of energy to make it through cold spells.

When the weather clears up a bit I'll get out and above the nest when she's on a feeder run and grab a quick detail photo of the eggs. So, all is well and more soon.

Attachments

• overview.jpg
    overview.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 108
  • feeder detail.jpg
    feeder detail.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 130
  • male at feeder.jpg
    male at feeder.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 118
  • anna at feeder.jpg
    anna at feeder.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
Great story, Robert. She does look nice and dry under her umbrella. Hopefully, all will go well. Thanks for keeping us posted.

I've just found this and I'm in awe from every point of view... First I couldn't imagine little Hummingbirds wintering is a cold place like the state of Washington, then you show us Anna's Hummer nesting in March and under the snow, and to make the thing complete, you demonstrate to have a witty mind to prepare a cozy place for the little chaps to be comfy and nicely sheltered! |=)|

A huge :t: to you and another one for the tough little guys!

Hope everything is OK!

Update, 02 April 2008:

Well, start shopping for cigars, folks. Anna is sitting on two eggs - small, oval and off-white, about the size of champagne grapes. I couldn't get the camera above the nest to photograph the eggs owing to the parasol rain shield, and she wasn't all that thrilled with my trying, so I resorted to a hand-held mirror to reflect the confirmed egg sighting to me below the nest. I will not attempt direct shots of the eggs, but I may enlist the help of a friend this weekend to hold the mirror while I snap the desired image (I will be following guidelines set by the University of Washington Burke Museum of Natural History, which has reqested that I track the developments for their ongoing files and archives).

As the hatchlings appear, with heads above the nest rim, I'll be certain to post new images, taken from a comfortable distance of course.

All is well on this snow-free, sunny and warm Spring day in Seattle.

Cheers,
Robert

Last edited:
Hi Robert

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I thought you would like to see these pictures of what my garden is like today....been snowing all day, not usual for April. They are taken through the kitchen window so are not very good pictures but I think the blue and great tits are grateful for the feeders today:

Attachments

• IMG_6194a resized.jpg
    IMG_6194a resized.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6198b resized.jpg
    IMG_6198b resized.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Good morning, Joanne ...

Not a highjacking at all, happy to share a ride. Looks like an early April snow in Sussex is about as unusual as it is for Seattle - Seems, too, that yours came with a bit of wind as everything looks to be blown from the side quite heavily.

Pretty birds, tits are. Thanks for sharing the shots.

More from Anna soon, as I'm attempting to photograph the two eggs in the nest today.

Best,
Robert

Last edited:
G
Pretty birds, tits are. Thanks for sharing the shots.

Best,
Robert

They are nice. When I was in the Pacific NW your Black-capped chickadees reminded me very much of our great tits; the GT being just a bit bigger than the BC chickadee and BC chickadee not so yellow.........But back to Anna!

Joanne

Last edited:
Good morning, Joanne ... More from Anna soon, as I'm attempting to photograph the two eggs in the nest today.

Best,
Robert

Update: 06 April, 2008

Well, here we are folks - A nice enough day to get a photograph of Anna's eggs. Again, and apologetically, even though I'm a professional photographer these are literally "grab shots"; I don't want her off her nest for any undue length of time just so I can get a prettier picture. That said:

#1, shows Anna comfortably on her nest.

#2, shows how I was able to look from above the nest with the aid of a mirror to reveal the 2 eggs inside. (remember, the parasol cover is too close to the nest to get a direct sighting angle).

#3, shows the 2 eggs that have been laid, reflected in the hand-held mirror.

From here on, all update shots will be from a comfortable distance in order to leave our lady undisturbed. The hatchlings will, no doubt, provide ample opportunity for "above the nest rim" images.

More soon,

Cheers from Seattle,
Robert

Attachments

• L1010279_1.jpg
    L1010279_1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 95
  • L1010280_1.jpg
    L1010280_1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 108
  • L1010278_1.jpg
    L1010278_1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Thanks for the update, Robert. Can't wait to see the babies.

Robert,

This is totally awesome and amazing!! Just once I'd love to see a nest and you get one with a wintering bird! LOL!! Your pics are fantastic!! I can't wait to see your next update!!!

Julie

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back