• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UPDATE on yesterday's 3 images post (1 Viewer)

ElenaL

Note: This has some new information and possible solution to one of my three images posted yesterday (hope it helps).

Hi, this is my 2nd post of some bird images decorating a convent in Arequipa, Peru. The 1st was solved almost immediately, so this time I am posting three images.

Since these are not photos of birds, but rather artistic renderings, I am including a portion of my blog post (https://www.elenalipkowski.com/blog) with more information and a (painless--I promise) art history lesson:

"Here’s a reminder of the background information: Santa Catalina Monastery, Arequipa, Peru. This community was built in 1579 in the Andean Mountains and in a city with Spanish Colonial roots. It would be unusual to know when or who did these paintings, as decorative works were usually unnamed and anonymous. However, we do know that they often used local craftsmen (so Inca people) overseen and trained by Spanish artists.

Around here and around this time, the European decorative art styles were used, but the local Inca people substituted their own flora and fauna. The Inca controlled a vast geographic region at this time, so they would be familiar with the Andes, but also the Pacific Ocean on one side and the Amazon region on the other.

These birds might be South American, but they also could be something from the hometown of a Spaniard. So, if a bird has you stumped, but seems somehow seems familiar to something European, you are probably right."​

I have received a potential identification on one image and a link to the source website: http://www.peruaves.org.

The possible identification is Hoatzin. What do you all think?

It was so satisfying to have the last one solved. Hope you all enjoy this puzzle too!

Attachments

• 2 Solved Hoatzin.jpg
    2 Solved Hoatzin.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 43
  • 02 05012020 Santa Catalina Bird 2.jpg
    02 05012020 Santa Catalina Bird 2.jpg
    460.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 03 05012020 Santa Catalina Bird 3.jpg
    03 05012020 Santa Catalina Bird 3.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 24
Note: This has some new information and possible solution to one of my three images posted yesterday (hope it helps).

Hi, this is my 2nd post of some bird images decorating a convent in Arequipa, Peru. The 1st was solved almost immediately, so this time I am posting three images.

Since these are not photos of birds, but rather artistic renderings, I am including a portion of my blog post (https://www.elenalipkowski.com/blog) with more information and a (painless--I promise) art history lesson:

"Here’s a reminder of the background information: Santa Catalina Monastery, Arequipa, Peru. This community was built in 1579 in the Andean Mountains and in a city with Spanish Colonial roots. It would be unusual to know when or who did these paintings, as decorative works were usually unnamed and anonymous. However, we do know that they often used local craftsmen (so Inca people) overseen and trained by Spanish artists.

Around here and around this time, the European decorative art styles were used, but the local Inca people substituted their own flora and fauna. The Inca controlled a vast geographic region at this time, so they would be familiar with the Andes, but also the Pacific Ocean on one side and the Amazon region on the other.

These birds might be South American, but they also could be something from the hometown of a Spaniard. So, if a bird has you stumped, but seems somehow seems familiar to something European, you are probably right."​

I have received a potential identification on one image and a link to the source website: http://www.peruaves.org.

The possible identification is Hoatzin. What do you all think?

It was so satisfying to have the last one solved. Hope you all enjoy this puzzle too!

I wondered if the first one was a stylised yellow-headed caracara although hoatzin might be just as good a guess. To decide would require more knowledge of stylistic conventions than I have. Second is a parrot, I think. Speckle-faced parrot is a reasonably good match. Not sure about the third

BTW I wanted to have a look at your blog but was put off by the cookie policy. Forcing acceptance or denying access is bad manners and I think in contravention of some recent EU legislation at least. Might be worth reviewing...

I like hoatzin for #1 - tail position is typical for the species, and you wouldn't see a caracara in that posture very often.

#2 has a strong beak - anybody know of a likely parrot/parakeet? Blue color is unusual, but not impossible, and trade in live birds from nearby regions (Amazon, by land, or Central America, by sea) is entirely possible. Blue-and-gold macaw would be nearby, but it doesn't look like one to me.

#3 - long tail - my only idea was a chacalaca or guan, but I don't like it; the bird in the picture doesn't look heavy enough. Squirrel cuckoo is a good idea.

PS I came late to your first thread and commented on the plants, in case you missed it.

I like hoatzin for #1 - tail position is typical for the species, and you wouldn't see a caracara in that posture very often.

#2 has a strong beak - anybody know of a likely parrot/parakeet? Blue color is unusual, but not impossible, and trade in live birds from nearby regions (Amazon, by land, or Central America, by sea) is entirely possible. Blue-and-gold macaw would be nearby, but it doesn't look like one to me.

#3 - long tail - my only idea was a chacalaca or guan, but I don't like it; the bird in the picture doesn't look heavy enough. Squirrel cuckoo is a good idea.

PS I came late to your first thread and commented on the plants, in case you missed it.

I don't think we can read too much into precise pose here. In fact, the caracara has more matching plumage features (see first attachment:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gelbkopfkarakara_Milvago_chimachima.jpg

Having said that, I'm not completed tied to the idea--could be either

Perhaps you missed the parrot suggestion I made? See other attachment:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:pionus_tumultuosus_-La_Merced_Zoo-2a-2.jpg

I suspect the artist would have rendered squirrel cuckoo differently to what we see here. But I don't have a strong suggestion

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200503-095416.png
    Screenshot_20200503-095416.png
    73 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20200503-095126.png
    Screenshot_20200503-095126.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 1
I wondered if the first one was a stylised yellow-headed caracara although hoatzin might be just as good a guess. To decide would require more knowledge of stylistic conventions than I have. Second is a parrot, I think. Speckle-faced parrot is a reasonably good match. Not sure about the third

BTW I wanted to have a look at your blog but was put off by the cookie policy. Forcing acceptance or denying access is bad manners and I think in contravention of some recent EU legislation at least. Might be worth reviewing...

Thank you so much for your identification and thoughts about these images.

And I apologize for my website's bad manners about the cookies. My understanding is that my website manager has that there in accordance to European laws. I will definitely bring it to their attention in case the laws have changed and they need to adjust the practice. Again, I am sorry if this caused you any pause. And I really appreciate you posting your thoughts here.

Best,
Elena

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back