• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrade from Nikon P950? (1 Viewer)

I've been using my P950 camera for almost a year now and it has been great. However, I'm starting to get upgraditis. I'm thinking maybe something with a bigger sensor.

One thing to keep in mind is that I like to bike around with my camera so it can't have an absolutely huge lense. The P950 is no problem.

Any thoughts on what I should look at?

Thanks!

Two ideas for larger sensor:
1) bridge camera with built in lens like what you have but with a larger sensor. This thread is about a Sony which gets great reviews: Sony RX10 1V the new boy.

2) a camera with exchangeable lenses. The smallest packages will be a micro4/3 camera (Olympus/OM or Panasonic) with a 100-300 lens, can actually be lighter than the sony. But if you frequently switch between wide and tele, then you should know that you would need to switch lens to do that.

And finally a question: What in the camera you have do you think should be improved upon? that can be essential to figure out if the above proposals are even relevant.
Niels

If you are usually taking shots at the high magnification, it's very difficult. You can find better cameras, but dropping from 2000mm to less than half that in most cases (? Not sure if the crop factor comes to our rescue for any other models) is going to be hard.
I find the p900 ok, but apart from the p950 & p1000 there doesn't seem to be anything like it out there

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back