• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (6 Viewers)

message for (MB) Graig thanks for all your info my friend.pictures wernt to bad of the woodchat shrike, light was very poor, but hopefully will be going back Wednesday ive added one on my flickr below for ya

Have seen a lot of excellent pics of the Shrike ...am I correct it's in Somerset ?
There's more mentions here than on any of their threads...He he lol o:D

Keith :t:

The Flashes

We are now entering a critical period of the year as we attempt to protect the breeding waders at the Flashes from their two biggest threats - flooding and fox predation. Everyone can play a role in this task by:

(1) Posting alongside your sightings from the Flashes a reading off the depth marker (please read to the bottom of any wave action); we can then manipulate the sluice accordingly
(2) Reporting any sightings of fox INSIDE the perimeter fence - ideally please text and/or call myself or John on the numbers on the inside of the log book.

Last edited:
To all Uptoners i will be driving back down south to get better pics of the woodchat shrike today if any one fancies jumping aboard birders/togs i will be leaving from Uw moors carpark at 12 sharp 4 spaces at the mo Vern

You might want to save yourself the time, money and carbon footprint;) I can't find any reports either locally or nationally i.e. BirdGuides/RareBirdAlert to ascertain whether the bird is still present - maybe nobody has posted it but i would'nt want to chug down there if it's a no go?

Somebody might bump into it and post between now at midday, best of luck:t:

Laurie:t:

Wing-tagged Marsh Harrier

I have now received confirmation from the BTO that March's wing-tagged Marsh Harrier was ringed in the nest AS A MALE at Dunbog, Fife on the Tay Estuary on the 6th July 2006.

Monday 29th April 6.00am to 12.30pm.

Numbers pretty well as yesterday apart from Shoveller; could only see 2 males on the Moors with none at the Flashes.

1 Pair of Lapwing appear to be sitting.

Plenty of warblers down east track where there is shelter from cold wind. Sedge Warblers still outnumber Reed Warblers by a considerable margin.

There were 3 or 4 groups of Tufties that spent all morning almost continuously circling low around Moors pool. These were predominantly males with just 1 or 2 females.

Attachments

• 7D_009603.jpg
    7D_009603.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 93
  • 7D_009610.jpg
    7D_009610.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 7D_009642.jpg
    7D_009642.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 7D_009661.jpg
    7D_009661.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 97
Seemed a quiet day yesterday in all but the din of the BHGs!
Kingfisher at polo pool; water rail in cleared, screened area before Hen Brook hide; redstart in bushes before gate to Moors E. hide - all too quick for a pic.
1a & 1b. Grey heron from E. hide 10:20
2a & 2b. Is this the hobby? Low pass across the Moors to W hide and flew into the trees to the right 12:57 lifting all the birds VERY high up for an unusually long time.
3. Canada goslings lining up for the group photo.

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    306.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 90
Kingfisher at polo pool; water rail in cleared, screened area before Hen Brook hide; redstart in bushes before gate to Moors E. hide - all too quick for a pic.
1a & 1b. Grey heron from E. hide 10:20
2a & 2b. Is this the hobby? Low pass across the Moors to W hide and flew into the trees to the right 12:57 lifting all the birds VERY high up for an unusually long time.
3. Canada goslings lining up for the group photo.

He he ...love the Goslings shot.
Is it a Sparrowhawk ?

Numbers pretty well as yesterday apart from Shoveller; could only see 2 males on the Moors with none at the Flashes.

1 Pair of Lapwing appear to be sitting.

Plenty of warblers down east track where there is shelter from cold wind. Sedge Warblers still outnumber Reed Warblers by a considerable margin.

There were 3 or 4 groups of Tufties that spent all morning almost continuously circling low around Moors pool. These were predominantly males with just 1 or 2 females.

WOW these pics are awesome...any chance of letting a green eyed old'un know what kit was used...
Cheers

WOW these pics are awesome...any chance of letting a green eyed old'un know what kit was used...
Cheers

Keith,

Thanks for the comment - much appreciated.

Taken on a Canon 7D using a bare Canon 400mm F5.6 plus a large amount of patience and prolific use of the DEL button.

Alan H

2a & 2b. Is this the hobby?

Hi Janner
I got this wrong 2 days ago,I said 2 sparrowhawks when it was two hobbys I wish Mary had got a photo,
looking at the feathers at the ends of the wings and a longish tail I would go Sarrowhawk maybe one of our experts can confirm it soon

2a & 2b. Is this the hobby?

Hi Janner
I got this wrong 2 days ago,I said 2 sparrowhawks when it was two hobbys I wish Mary had got a photo,
looking at the feathers at the ends of the wings and a longish tail I would go Sarrowhawk maybe one of our experts can confirm it soon

Yep, a Sparrowhawk:t:
MB

Keith,

Thanks for the comment - much appreciated.

Taken on a Canon 7D using a bare Canon 400mm F5.6 plus a large amount of patience and prolific use of the DEL button.

Alan H

Thanks Alan....the saying went........."You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!".......thats the kit I have and I have not got anywhere near as good as you.....it's true what they say ..."it's not the camera it's the man behind it.

Those B.I.F. shots are brill...the detail in the Jackdaw is just great.
It takes all my time to get one in the frame.....I know now I am doing something wrong.

Please note that a group of ringers, including Fergus Henderson who has a long-standing relationship with the reserve, will be undertaking a ringing session at the Moors Pool early on Saturday morning with the consent of the Trust. It is intended that the ringers will utilise the existing rides cut into the reeds by the Tuesday work party (as part of the rotational regeneration of the reed-bed) and also potentially set up a net in the North Moors in an effort to minimise any adverse impact on the environment and be as discrete as possible.

This session will target the reed-beds and their breeders (Reed / Sedge / Cetti's warblers and Reed Buntings) in an effort to gauge the impact on the conversation work and the resulting density of these species. It is hoped that this is followed up with another session later in the summer after fledging so we can measure the success of the breeding season. In recent years we have become rather blaise about this environment and its inhabitants and the loss (albeit temporary) of Cetti's Warbler has come as a rude awakening. Some hard research will help space future conservation plans and prioritsation of resources and help our understanding of the movement (locally, nationally and internationally) of these birds.

We will be asking the ringers for a breakdown of their findings plus information concerning any re-captures which will be posted on here.

Chasing Warblers

I managed to spend a great 6 hours chasing warblers around the reserve this morning. I think I saw a Wood, Cetti's and Lesser Whitethroat but no pictures. I did get pictures of 5 species, I think! Please correct me if I am wrong but I think the attached pictures show Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Common Whitethroat, Sedge and Willow. As a relative novice I want to thank the help I got from several people and I want to thank Rob in particular for some good advice, Alex

Attachments

• Blackcap.jpg
    Blackcap.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Chiffchaff.jpg
    Chiffchaff.jpg
    437.8 KB · Views: 139
  • Common Whitethroat.jpg
    Common Whitethroat.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 170
  • Sedge Warbler.jpg
    Sedge Warbler.jpg