• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (32 Viewers)

Looking at the data a bit more and notwithstanding the frequent NE winds we endured in April there is a predominance of data points within the (generally accepted) prevailing South Westerly half (SE-NW) with 1085 hours of the total 1721 coming from that general direction.

Technology3:),What happend to licking your finger and sticking it in the air,8-P

Last edited:
Great news re: GWEgret - there is a regular roost of upto 20 Littles @ Middleton that's got to be a good possibility for first nesting in the Mids (if they have'nt already).

Laurie:t:

Here's a picture of the ringed Coot as discussed earlier and one of its offspring that surely has a face that only a mother could love...

Attachments

• Coot_resize.jpg
    Coot_resize.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Coot_Juv_resize.jpg
    Coot_Juv_resize.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 72
Wednesday "count"

As I believe Des is away, there is no official count so I will post the species that I saw this morning and early afternoon. Apart from chicks and the less common species I made no attempt to count.

Moors:

Mute Swan + 3 cygnets; Canadas + goslings, Mallard, Tufted, GCGs, Coots, Moorhens, 4 Oysters catchers + chicks (3 presumed but they were hidden by the grass), BHGs, 1 Little Gull, 2 Common Terns, Heron, Buzzard, Whitethroat and Reed Warbler visible from East Hide.

Flashes:

Mallard, Tufted, 3 Shelduck, 2 Black-tailed Godwits (pr) absolutely stunning views, LRPs, 1 Oystercatcher, 10 Avocets, 1 Lapwing, BHGs, 1 Little (and very noisy) Gull, 2 Stock Doves, 2 Linnets

Hen Pool:

Coot + 2 chicks, Moorhen + 2 chicks, Reed Warbler.

No doubt because of my poor memory and ID skills I have omitted many other birds so if you were there today please fill in any gaps.

Peter

Thanks Des Mk II (Peter) - good to see the Blackwits stuck for a second day. Interesting that the Tufty numbers at the Flashes have fallen away again. I assume the Pochard have now departed as they werent mentioned today or yesterday.

Thanks Des Mk II (Peter) - good to see the Blackwits stuck for a second day. Interesting that the Tufty numbers at the Flashes have fallen away again. I assume the Pochard have now departed as they werent mentioned today or yesterday.
The pochards were not present Tuesday or Monday Phil
Some of the Tufted were flying over to the Moors yesterday evening. It will be interesting to analyse the interaction with Tufted and the 1st Flash during spring. I think as they are late breeders, they are probably supplementing their diet at the Flashes and taking advantage of an unknown food source, to get into good breeding condition. .
I am researching this seasonal behaviour of both tufted and pochard at the reserve over the last 30 years and will get back with some results asap.
Oh and thanks Peter if we can get all the other days covered in this way it would certainly give us an updated picture of the reserve.B :)john

Tufted Ducks

The pochards were not present Tuesday or Monday Phil
Some of the Tufted were flying over to the Moors yesterday evening. It will be interesting to analyse the interaction with Tufted and the 1st Flash during spring. I think as they are late breeders, they are probably supplementing their diet at the Flashes and taking advantage of an unknown food source, to get into good breeding condition. .
I am researching this seasonal behaviour of both tufted and pochard at the reserve over the last 30 years and will get back with some results asap.
Oh and thanks Peter if we can get all the other days covered in this way it would certainly give us an updated picture of the reserve.B :)john

Will add the limited info that I have i.e. the half-monthly maximum counts.

These show that in the two 7 year periods, 1998-2004 in red and 2005-2011 in green, that we have detailed information for that there has been little variation in the overall pattern of sightings across the reserve, with numbers slightly improved in recent times. Unfortunately there isnt a breakdown between the Moors and Flashes:

Attachments

• TD 98-04.png
    TD 98-04.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 47
  • TD 05-11.png
    TD 05-11.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 55
Pochard

Again with the same limited data set of peak half-monthly counts (red for 1998 to 2004 and green for 2005 to 2011), Pochard numbers have decreased in more recent times. In addition there are a few subtle differences to the trends - a much slower pick up of numbers nowadays in the autumn with a clearly defined peak in late winter rather than the previous continuous presence across the winter months:-

Attachments

• Pochard 98-04.png
    Pochard 98-04.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Pochard 05-11.png
    Pochard 05-11.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 44
NOT at Upton Warren (but not far away!)

I was lucky enough to see the White Stork which was at Stoulton this evening. I've measured it on Google Earth and this is only 11 miles away (roughly due south) from Upton Warren. My advice for anyone visiting Upton tomorrow is to keep an eye on the skies just in case. It is likely to be good soaring weather.

The bird is unringed and has suffered some obvious damage to the flight feathers on one of its wings (possibly from gunshots). Despite this it can fly perfectly well. With the current weather and the recent influxes of White Storks into the UK, the wild credentials of this bird must be as good as any!

The bird has apparently roosted on a farm building just north of Windmill Hill, Stoulton, this evening. Good luck to anyone who decides to try for it tomorrow.

I know I shouldn't really attach photos of birds not seen at UW - but just can't resist this one time. ;)

Attachments

• White Stork Stoulton 230512.jpg
    White Stork Stoulton 230512.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I know I shouldn't really attach photos of birds not seen at UW - but just can't resist this one time. ;)

Well if its good enough for Tracey .... ;)

Has the bird really got a pinkish tinge or is that just an affect of the setting sun?

Upton Warren’s only record of White Stork was an adult encountered on the 28th May 1993. It was first seen by two observers at 5:30 pm standing in the field to the south of the Moors Pool which borders on to the River Salwarpe. After 20 minutes the bird took flight and headed towards the Flashes at tree-top level where it was seen again (by two different observers) being harassed by Jackdaws. The bird circled the sewage works and gained height before drifting south, having been in view from the Flashes for no more than five minutes. Both pairs of observers (including CaveLight currently logged on at the moment) independently identified the bird as a White Stork.

Has the bird really got a pinkish tinge or is that just an affect of the setting sun?

Not really a pinkish tinge in the field - more the usual dirty white that White Storks often have when seen on the deck. The photo may've picked up the reflected red tones from the low sun I guess or it could just be the colour-bias of my photo / your PC.:t:

It was looking pinkish on my monitor too, so (I hope you don't mind) I've played around with the white balance and contrast so that when I see it in the archery field tomorrow, with this and the help of my latest field guide, I might recognise it... :king:

Attachments

• White Stork Stoulton 230512.jpg
    White Stork Stoulton 230512.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 77
  • 250px-Stork_5.jpg
    250px-Stork_5.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
It was looking pinkish on my monitor too, so (I hope you don't mind) I've played around with the white balance and contrast so that when I see it in the archery field tomorrow, with this and the help of my latest field guide, I might recognise it... :king:

Whatever you've done seems to've sharpened it up quite nicely too. Perhaps I should invest in some software to enhance my photos - but, then again, I'm just after record shots most of the time. Don't think you'd have any problem recognising it if it flew over your head at Upton.

Not sharpened as such (at least not intentionally) all adjustments were exposure (down), colour balance (less red more blue), contrast (up) and rotation (anti-clockwise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back