• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (4 Viewers)

Good lesson on how rings can vary shot from shot - in one picture it looks like one large yellow ring; in the other two separate rings, one yellow and one orange!

Anyone got any pictures of the second ringed Common Sand mentioned by Peter E yesterday?

Cheers Dennis - looks exactly like the same combination! Can you just confirm if the two photos in your earlier post are of the same bird.

Phil
I can confirm its a juv common sand (2012) with the same combination, as the bird Peter E found yesterday now an adult.
Have you no facility to see photos on your smart phone8-P :-O

Seriously why didn't it show up on your check, perhaps that site only shows this years schemes.|:S|

Peter E has just phoned me to say the 2nd LRP nest has hatched 25 days incubation.:t:

Phil
I can confirm its a juv common sand (2012) with the same combination, as the bird Peter E found yesterday now an adult.
Have you now facility to see photos on your smart phone8-P :-O

Seriously why didn't it show up on your check, perhaps that site only shows this years schemes.|:S|

Peter E has just phoned me to say the 2nd LRP nest has hatched 25 days incubation.:t:

At home mate - have added a poorly wife to my poorly baby :-C

It is strange / annoying how a number of ringing / tagging schemes are not listed on the Eurobirding / CR-birding websites eg the Marsh Harrier :C

Great news re second brood of LRPs - any news on number of chicks?

Pics from Mike and Yvonne T

Yesterday Yvonne T, Mike T and myself spent an enjoyable afternoon sweltering in the hides8-P.
Mike had taken a few pics of the common sand with the rings pic 1
later at the Flashes , he took a pic of this juv Avocet. pic 2

The normally majestic avocets can adopt a pretty ungainly prehistoric pose when sitting down. This juveniles bill, looks more like a ski slope than that of the adults fragile delicate implement. Unfortunately this individual also appears to have a problem with one of its eyes.

Thanks Mike for the use of your pics. :t:

Attachments

• comm sandRings  mike and yvonne T.jpg
    comm sandRings mike and yvonne T.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 102
  • strange Avo MIKE and Yvonne T.jpg
    strange Avo MIKE and Yvonne T.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 120
At home mate - have added a poorly wife to my poorly baby :-C

It is strange / annoying how a number of ringing / tagging schemes are not listed on the Eurobirding / CR-birding websites eg the Marsh Harrier :C

No kid
Peter said the adult was sitting tight on the one chick he did see. Its possibly waiting for others to hatch.
Hope the Mrs and baby get better asap.:t:

Fantastic Dennis
a bit spooky you reappearing the same time as the same bird appears.
Who needs Phil8-P
Welcome back mate :t:john

Unfortunately I have changed internet provider since 2011 so I dont have the details of the Common Sand project coordinator; I will resubmit via the BTO and see if it had been recorded anywhere else in the meantime

Yesterday lunchtime there were two White-letter Hairstreaks seen in the same Elm. Not the greatest of views as my pic shows.

In front of us as we stood their looking at the Hairstreaks a moth I confidentially identified as a Magpie moth but which Des texted me today to say isn't it a Scarlet Tiger! What do I know about moths. It is of course a Scarlet Tiger (pic), a new moth for the reserve, and a new moth for me.

Also around the thistles in front of the main flashes hide today numbers of Narrow-bordered Five-spot Burnets (pic).

John

View attachment 452042View attachment 452043View attachment 452044

Only just catching up on reading the older posts and read about the Scarlet Tiger.

Just to clarify, Scarlet Tiger was recorded by myself and Tony Smith on the reserve just west of the Moors hide on 27th June 2011. This was posted on here at the time (see below quote) and submitted to the Worcestershire Biological Records Centre, who accepted the record and put it onto the county database

Cheers
Jase

Hi Guys,

Popped to Upton today with TS to see the White-letter Hairstreaks. In total we counted 3 in the tops of the Willows by the Salwarpe. Also of interest was a Scarlet Tiger Moth that was in front of the West Hide at the Moors and 2 male Black-tailed Skimmers were chasing here. A Marbled White was in the clearing at the Education Reserve. There were also some nice Peacock butterfly larvae on the nettles by the Salwarpe.

Jase

Last edited:

I certainly saw one chick, and probably two. The parents were still taking it in turns to brood their young and remaining egg(s). They were having great trouble settling presumably because the chicks were butting them from below.

Incidentally it took me about an hour before I saw yesterday's LRP hatchlings. I thought they must have been lost as they did not appear and nor were there any anxious parents around. Eventually two of them came out from behind the left-hand island (the one with the bricks at the south end). They were balls of fluff on stilts - irresistible. I assume the third chick stayed on the hidden side of the island. A family group of avocets came over with the parents menacing the young LRPs but their parents apparently saw off the avocets with instant aggression. It was certainly an encouraging sign.

Peter

Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Dunlin (Ad)-----------------Green Sand (5)
Common Sand (2)-----------Curlew (18)
Lapwing (8)---------------- LRP (6) + broods of 3:2
Avocet (min of 35)

MOORS :
LRP-------------------------Med Gull (Ad) still present this evening.
Oystercatcher (3)---------- Common Sand ( inc bird with yellow ring on right leg)
Lapwing (2juvs)-------------Pochard (2)
Wigeon---------------------Herring Gull (2)
GCGrebe (2juvs)------------Mute Swan (5 juvs)
Common Tern (broods of 2:2:1). Couldn't see other broods.

There were Whitethroats singing in the Ed Res, N Moors and Amy's Marsh.

Des.

few very record shots from this evening
1= boogy duck
2=ducks attacking lbb
3=gull feeding super
4=duck wins against lbb

Attachments

• 1uw IMG_2190.jpg
    1uw IMG_2190.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 2  uw  IMG_2321.jpg
    2 uw IMG_2321.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 3 uw   IMG_2291.jpg
    3 uw IMG_2291.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 4 uw IMG_2317.jpg
    4 uw IMG_2317.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
couple more very record shots
1=mother/dad and baby Lrp
2=all 3 Lrp chicks
3 water levels dropping very fast

Attachments

• 5 uw  IMG_2225.jpg
    5 uw IMG_2225.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 6 uw   uw IMG_2229.jpg
    6 uw uw IMG_2229.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 87
  • ws uw   IMG_2314.jpg
    ws uw IMG_2314.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 83
Hi all. Thanks for the welcome back John but i aint really been away, i just keep a low profile! anyway back again today at 5am well 5.15 by the time macdons open and i got a coffee.
Already someone in East Hide and birds galore, no real change from yesterday apart from no med gull. Only one common sand seen again as per yesterday. Avocet dropped in at 8am and stayed for a while. Flew straight on to smallest islet in front of hide and stayed for few minutes before swimming! off to far end of largest island. 3 Lrps with again 2 on nearest islet. Attached a couple of pics from East Hide before light and heat became useless. Regards Dennis

Attachments

• upton 18.7.2013a.jpg
    upton 18.7.2013a.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 102
  • upton 18.7.2013b.jpeg
    upton 18.7.2013b.jpeg
    246.9 KB · Views: 92
  • upton 18.7.2013c.jpeg
    upton 18.7.2013c.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 95
  • upton 18.7.2013e.jpeg
    upton 18.7.2013e.jpeg
    268 KB · Views: 106
  • upton 18.7.2013f.jpeg
    upton 18.7.2013f.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 90
Hi all. Thanks for the welcome back John but i aint really been away, i just keep a low profile! anyway back again today at 5am well 5.15 by the time macdons open and i got a coffee.
Already someone in East Hide and birds galore, no real change from yesterday apart from no med gull. Only one common sand seen again as per yesterday. Avocet dropped in at 8am and stayed for a while. Flew straight on to smallest islet in front of hide and stayed for few minutes before swimming! off to far end of largest island. 3 Lrps with again 2 on nearest islet. Attached a couple of pics from East Hide before light and heat became useless. Regards Dennis

lovely shots :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back