• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (6 Viewers)

Popped into UW Moors Pool this afternoon myself (a rare sight these days, me at Upton Warren!)

No sign of Spot Fly at North Moors mid-afternoon (nice find btw Andy)..lots of Warblers were present in the area including a family party of Blackcaps (at least 2 juv) and 2 juv Willow Warblers. 2 Bullfinch (1♀ & 1 juv) were also seen in the area.

At Amy's Marsh there were 2 Shoveler and a Common Sandpiper of note. 5 adult Common Terns were over the Moors Pool at one point.

A ♂ Southern Hawker was showing well along the track to the East Hide and 3 Brown Hawkers and a Migrant Hawker were showing from the concrete hide.

Jase

Popped into UW Moors Pool this afternoon myself (a rare sight these days, me at Upton Warren!)

No sign of Spot Fly at North Moors mid-afternoon (nice find btw Andy)..lots of Warblers were present in the area including a family party of Blackcaps (at least 2 juv) and 2 juv Willow Warblers. 2 Bullfinch (1♀ & 1 juv) were also seen in the area.

At Amy's Marsh there were 2 Shoveler and a Common Sandpiper of note. 5 adult Common Terns were over the Moors Pool at one point.

A ♂ Southern Hawker was showing well along the track to the East Hide and 3 Brown Hawkers and a Migrant Hawker were showing from the concrete hide.

Jase

Thanks Jase - these reports are very useful in trying to understand whether we have lingering family parties of warblers in our scrub areas or if there is a constant turn-over of birds. Any future sightings would be very welcome; we probably dont have the hard evidence but it certainly feels to me that both the North Moors and the area between the steps and the feeding station at the Flashes are hosting more birds and of a wider variety than previous years; is it just coincidence that these areas have been subject to recent active scrub management ......

As John has alluded to there is further work proposed over the next 6-7 months to further improve such habitat - targeting the plantation on the east side of the Moors Pool opposite Lifestyles (with a view to selective thin and open out) and the line of blackthorn at the rear of the Flashing feeding station (with the aim of promoting some vibrant young growth and drive some lines of sight into the area beyond between the Hen Pool and the Hen Brook). Other areas, such as the Secret Garden, will need to be revisited to keep them manageable.

As with all scrub management work I would ask that you bear with us - it often takes 12/24 months after work for the habitat to reach its full potential and some of the results may initially look harsh and draconian but are well worth it in the long run.

Given Paul R's comments regarding Rob's raptor I posted the two pictures on the ID forum (with the appropriate credit and consent ;)). The results were interesting - 5 pro Osprey, 0 pro Buzzard and the below comment

Gut feeling says that pair of images are fake.

I'd need full exif data attached to even start to believe that bird was even there. It looks very artificial, and im wondering if its a human made kite of some sorts. Either way, im not calling those as real pics.

Sorry if your offended, no besmirching on the OP, but im wondering if some ones sent you on a wild goose chase.

:eek!::eek!::C:C Now where are those Greylags you want me to pursue Rob ..... 8-P

Tomorrow on the RESERVE

Work will start at the Flashes tomorrow late morning by the Trust work force. I think this will involve grass cutting out on the flashes.
To compensate for this we hare going to cut the pool island at the Moors (to provide alternative wader habitat) - starting at 8 am. The water level is dropping and hopefully muddy margins will be showing by tomorrow.
The more of us there are the quicker we can sort it:t:
I will be checking out the Flashes at 7am to see what waders there are.

Last edited:
Dave J had 2 yellow wags yesterday

At the Moors Pool. Good numbers of Wheatear starting to move back through the county, also Redstart and Whinchat tracking south. A newly cut sewage meadow may prove very attractive with all the disturbed insects. Winds start to have an easterly element by Friday ...

Given Paul R's comments regarding Rob's raptor I posted the two pictures on the ID forum (with the appropriate credit and consent ;)). The results were interesting - 5 pro Osprey, 0 pro Buzzard and the below comment

:eek!::eek!::C:C Now where are those Greylags you want me to pursue Rob ..... 8-P

5-0 seems a good score to me!
Well you can tell 'doubting Thomas' that had I wanted to fake pics I would have chosen a rarer bird than Osprey & I'd have made a MUCH better job than that! An A****le who defo won't be getting the exif info!

Fake Spoonbill Sandpiper pics anyone? :-O

Rob

Thanks Jase - these reports are very useful in trying to understand whether we have lingering family parties of warblers in our scrub areas or if there is a constant turn-over of birds. Any future sightings would be very welcome; we probably dont have the hard evidence but it certainly feels to me that both the North Moors and the area between the steps and the feeding station at the Flashes are hosting more birds and of a wider variety than previous years; is it just coincidence that these areas have been subject to recent active scrub management ......

As John has alluded to there is further work proposed over the next 6-7 months to further improve such habitat - targeting the plantation on the east side of the Moors Pool opposite Lifestyles (with a view to selective thin and open out) and the line of blackthorn at the rear of the Flashing feeding station (with the aim of promoting some vibrant young growth and drive some lines of sight into the area beyond between the Hen Pool and the Hen Brook). Other areas, such as the Secret Garden, will need to be revisited to keep them manageable.

As with all scrub management work I would ask that you bear with us - it often takes 12/24 months after work for the habitat to reach its full potential and some of the results may initially look harsh and draconian but are well worth it in the long run.

No probs Phil...I will happily report any counts/observations I make whilst visiting the reserve.

To be honest, I thought the area surrounding the Doctor's Pool and at the North Moors looks very good for passerines now that the scrub is regenerating on the back of management

5-0 seems a good score to me!
Well you can tell 'doubting Thomas' that had I wanted to fake pics I would have chosen a rarer bird than Osprey & I'd have made a MUCH better job than that! An A****le who defo won't be getting the exif info!

Fake Spoonbill Sandpiper pics anyone? :-O

Rob
Needless to say that Mike, myself and another poster unconnected with UW were robust in our defence of you!

Live update from Flashes.: spotted flycatcher in large willow above cuckoo hide. Willow tit on feeder in front of hide. Ruff and 2 ringed plovers on lagoons.
Pleade can you help us keep feeders topped up for the willow tit. Today the feeders were almost empty even though Rob had topped up B :)yesterday B (

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back