• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (6 Viewers)

Today's highlights (after an early morning "twitch" of the 2-Barred Crossbills):

MOORS:
G B B Gull (Ad) dropped in after rain and strong winds.
Herring Gull (10)-----------------Curlew (12)
Shelduck (2)--------------------Pochard (42)
Shoveler (27)-------------------Teal (90)
Tufted Duck (32)----------------Cormorant (24)
Snipe (3)------------------------Lapwing (c230)
B H Gull (c200)------------------Peregrine
Kingfisher-----------------------Cetti's Warbler

SAILING POOL:
Little Grebe (2)------------------Tufted Duck (8)

FLASHES:
Teal (44)------------------------B H Gull (c300)
Greylags (26)--------------------Raven, Gadwall (pr) and Peregrine (2) were reported.
No sign of the Barn Owl at 16.45.

Des.

2 million reached today TimB :)

yes I noticed,it happen about 15.00 today,credit to the people who set it up,but as we all know if was not for the quality from ALL the people past and present that contribute towards it in :Facts,stats,photos,info and general banter.Its not to surprising that the u/w thread got 2 million views.Here's to the next million

as for best bird for the year,Mary says being showed how to hold the cettis after ringing was tops

20 or 30 Greylags roosting in Amy's march flew off SE at 7.45am
1 Shelduck came in at about 9.30am
Curlew 12.
At about 10.00am all the BHGs and Lapwings got up off Amy's marsh. I was expecting that cause would be a Sparrowhawk but was gobsmacked to see a Glossy Ibis gliding in from behind the east hide. It circled over Amy's for a couple of minutes being continually mobbed by BHG and Lapwings and then flew low behind the east hide and disappeared. A few record shots below but Ibis was always against the light. Checked both the seasonal pool and field behind hide but no further sign.
The west track was alive with a mixed flock of 50 or 60 winter thrushes.
Seen from the concrete hide the Bittern flew north, low against the east shoreline and dropped into the reeds near the causeway.

A pretty lucky day so now off to buy lottery tickets.

Better than just record shots -besides I'd be happy with just seeing one. Well done

yes I noticed,it happen about 15.00 today,credit to the people who set it up,but as we all know if was not for the quality from ALL the people past and present that contribute towards it in :Facts,stats,photos,info and general banter.Its not to surprising that the u/w thread got 2 million views.Here's to the next million

as for best bird for the year,Mary says being showed how to hold the cettis after ringing was tops

No mention of the charts Tim? :-C

And yet with a rating of 3.29 after 30 odd votes it clearly is a bit of a "marmite" thread. Not sure what more we could offer for a local site thread

Last edited:
And yet with a rating of 3.29 after 30 odd votes it clearly is a bit of a "marmite" thread. Not sure what more we could offer for a local site thread

It's an excellent thread. I haven't been to UW for about 3 years now but it's always the first one that I look at.
Mike.

never noticed the rating before with only 30 votes it looks like I'm not the only one.Quiet sure the views show how popular the thread is.if anyone has a suggestion on improvement as they say every little helps! going to rate now.see you soon down the warren Tim

On the Moors this afternoon there was a Little Egret and a Great Black Backed Gull seen from the east hide perhaps the same Gull which was seen yesterday!

Phil.

I think you might find certain people give it one out of 5 for their own reasons, probably their way of having a go at some of us.8-P:loveme::kiss:....

But does it matter how many stars it gets , its the content that counts and long may it continue.B :)B :)B :)B :)

Oh, I missed that. How or where do you vote? I really enjoy visiting this thread although I have not been to UW for years.

Dave

Hi Dave. If you haven't already done so go to the top of this page and click on "rating". I have just done this and so have a few others before me. 42 people have now voted and the thread now has a rating of 3.48.:t::t:

Andy.

birding today on the reserve

Started at 9 and stayed till 4.45pm
A good few people out enjoying the last day of spring.:smoke:

Well it felt like spring, in the sunshine.;)

Defo a day of wetland bird movement, with increases in teal and shoveler.
The water levels at both the Moors and Flashes, are now at their peak winter levels. This floods out the peripheral vegetation and flushes out grass seeds, so appealing to dabbling ducks such as teal, hence the recent increase in their numbers. The ground also becomes sodden and ideal for probing species such as snipe and curlew. Unfortunately the snipe tend to skulk in the long vegetation, however the recent advent of cattle grazing, is starting to pay dividends. Today snipe were feeding in between the tussocks of the grazed areas at Amy's Marsh. At the Flashes, the effect has been more dramatic. Here coot now graze the sewage works meadow, accompanied by 'a wigeon', which is unusual to say the least, hopefully this is the trailblazer of a future wintering flock. The curlews and lapwings too are benefiting, now being able to forage in the short grass.
Other species on the move were, Goldeneye, Wigeon, GCG and little grebe. Little egret, GBBG, siskin, redpoll and song thrush.

Species counts
MOORS:
little grebe, cormorant 27, greylag 3, shoveler 35, teal 155, mallard 70, gadwall pr, Shelduck, Pochard 38, tufted 35, grey heron 2, coot 17, water rail 5, moorhen 10, snipe 15, curlew 2, lapwing 120, BHG 150, herring gull 5, LBBG few, Buzzard, sparrowhawk, great sp woodp, stock dove, fieldfare 80, redwing 40, song thrush 6, redpoll 2, siskin 2, bullfinch 3, goldfinch 10, chaffinch, greenfinch 20, pied wag, reed bunting.

SAILING POOL
GCG, little grebe, cormorant 2, GOLDENEYE 2 females, tufted 14, mallard 30, coot 12, grey wag,

FLASHES
Teal 84, mallard 20, Wigeon female, coot 14, moorhen 12, greylag 22, snipe, curlew 12, lapwing 200, Peregrine, buzzard, stock dove, kingfisher, redpoll 15, goldfinch 10,

Last edited:
On the Moors this afternoon there was a Little Egret and a Great Black Backed Gull seen from the east hide perhaps the same Gull which was seen yesterday!

Phil.

Think Des's bird was an adult yesterday; probably a good few years since GBBG has been seen on consecutive days (probably as many as a multiple sighting of Goldeneye!). I suspect there are several birders who visit Upton who have yet to add this to their site list

Think Des's bird was an adult yesterday; probably a good few years since GBBG has been seen on consecutive days (probably as many as a multiple sighting of Goldeneye!). I suspect there are several birders who visit Upton who have yet to add this to their site list

Hi Phil

31st Dec 2011 and 1st of Jan 2012 by myself and Gert IIRC B :)

More recent than I thought - a good memory there Mark :t:

Terrible memory Phil, far too addled, but I remember the GBBG flew over when a Brent Goose was on site on the 31/12/2011. Having not seen either at UW, it was ironic one dropped into the Moors next morning. Any road up, have a good one :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back