• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (4 Viewers)

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Shoveler (48)------------------Pochard (36)
Teal (30)----------------------Tufted Duck (31)
Shelduck----------------------Cetti's Warbler (2)
Snipe (12)---------------------Lapwing (c70)
Little Grebe--------------------Kingfisher
Cormorant (32)----------------Mute Swan(2)
Water Rail (3)-----------------Greylags (16)
Peregrine----------------------Lesser Redpoll (c40)
Mealy Redpoll (reported)-------Mistle Thrush
Song Thrush (2)---------------Herring Gull (5)
L B B Gull (16)-----------------G B B Gull (2 ad) circled, then flew off.

FLASHES:

Mealy Redpoll (between steps and Hen Pool)
Curlew (10)-------------------Pheasant

SAILING POOL:

G C Grebe (5)----------------Little Grebe (2)
Tufted Duck (9)

Des.

Hi Des - re Mealys, what time was the report at the Moors Pool compared to your sighting at the Flashes? I wonder if all the sightings relate to the one bird which I first had at the Flashes back in late November.

Hi Des - re Mealys, what time was the report at the Moors Pool compared to your sighting at the Flashes? I wonder if all the sightings relate to the one bird which I first had at the Flashes back in late November.

The Flashes bird was at approx. 11.10 and the Moors bird was approx. 14.30.

Incidentally, it would be interesting to know if has there has been a sighting of multiple G B B Gull before at Upton.

Des.

Last edited:
Incidentally, it would be interesting to know if has there has been a sighting of multiple G B B Gull before at Upton.

Des.

The Birds of Upton Warren opus states:

"The flock of seven birds seen flying over the reserve on four occasions in January 1996 (including the 14th January) remains the reserve’s peak count. In marked contrast there are very few multiple records of Great Black-backed Gulls actually “on the deck” – the maximum figure recorded was five birds (two adults, two second-winter and a first-winter) seen on the 3rd January 1993 as part of a flock of at least 100 large gulls (most Herring) which piled onto the ice at the Moors Pool during a pre-roost visit."

The Birds of Upton Warren opus states:

"The flock of seven birds seen flying over the reserve on four occasions in January 1996 (including the 14th January) remains the reserve’s peak count. In marked contrast there are very few multiple records of Great Black-backed Gulls actually “on the deck” – the maximum figure recorded was five birds (two adults, two second-winter and a first-winter) seen on the 3rd January 1993 as part of a flock of at least 100 large gulls (most Herring) which piled onto the ice at the Moors Pool during a pre-roost visit."

I'm getting lazy. I could have looked those facts up myself! On the other hand, I know you like nothing more than doing research.

Des.

I'm getting lazy. I could have looked those facts up myself! On the other hand, I know you like nothing more than doing research.

Des.

By reasearch do you mean cutting-and-pasting from the master document? ;)

Suppose I will have to start thinking about drawing up an updated version for the reserve's 50th anniversary. Luckily advances in e-publishing will mean a far better final product.

Last edited:
By reasearch do you mean cutting-and-pasting from the master document? ;)

Suppose I will have to start thinking about drawing up an updated version for the reserve's 50th anniversary. Luckily advances in e-publishing will mean a far better final product.

Well, there are four years to go. You could, if you wanted to, be rewriting the tome at a leisurely pace: modifying when necessary. Taking the pressure of the year before publication.

Des.

The Flashes bird was at approx. 11.10 and the Moors bird was approx. 14.30.

Des.

The Flashes Mealy was actually 11.30.

Des.

Today's highlights:

MOORS:
Shoveler (48)------------------Pochard (36)
Teal (30)----------------------Tufted Duck (31)
Shelduck----------------------Cetti's Warbler (2)
Snipe (12)---------------------Lapwing (c70)
Little Grebe--------------------Kingfisher
Cormorant (32)----------------Mute Swan(2)
Water Rail (3)-----------------Greylags (16)
Peregrine----------------------Lesser Redpoll (c40)
Mealy Redpoll (reported)-------Mistle Thrush
Song Thrush (2)---------------Herring Gull (5)
L B B Gull (16)-----------------G B B Gull (2 ad) circled, then flew off.

FLASHES:

Mealy Redpoll (between steps and Hen Pool)
Curlew (10)-------------------Pheasant

SAILING POOL:

G C Grebe (5)----------------Little Grebe (2)
Tufted Duck (9)

Des.

Missing piece of information: Bittern not seen in 2+ hour slot upto 17.00 hrs.

Des.

I noticed we have a cormorant with a white punk rocker style hair do I believe its its summer plumage kicking in.

Noticed that fella last weekend. Was keeping away from the main group on one of the rafts. Fancy looking thing. It's part of the breeding plumage yep, along with the white on the thigh.

Last edited:
Zoom Ratings- Care

A number of people have expressed interest in the camera I use because of its portability and extreme zoom telephoto capabilities.
I have always said that because of the rapid advances in technology somebody would quite quickly match or improve upon it.
A competitor appears to have done so at first glance.

Can I just suggest that people check out the claims carefully on all cameras.
Mine is a 50x zoom; the competitor's is a 60x zoom. HOWEVER the end rating is apparently exactly the same.
HOWSO? To measure the capabilities in 35mm terms take the starting lens and multiply by the zoom rating to give the longest telephoto capability.
The 50x camera has a 24 mm wide angle lens; the 60xcamera has a 20mm lens.
50 x 24 gives a 1200mm telephoto lens; 60 x 20 gives exactly the same.

For me the zoom ratings are misleading unless all the info is made apparent.
In the case of my camera one seller, both in store and on line only gives it a 100x digital zoom capability, when in fact it has a 200x one and it works.
Phil E

A shout out for help!

Some of you may remember that about 12 months ago a planning application to create a Travelling Show People site on Heath Lane, Shenstone was submitted and after many objections/much campaigning from residents and local birders/wildlife lovers rejected.

I have found out however that this application has been re-submitted this week.

As some of you may be aware, Shenstone holds one of the largest and last remaining breeding populations of Corn Bunting in the county and this development could have an adverse effect on said species and other declining arable birds in the area.

So I am rallying around a lot of my local birding contacts and would be grateful if you could lend your support and object to this proposal on the grounds of the potential impact on the areas bird life

The application can be viewed/objected to by clicking on the following web link:

http://www.wyreforest.gov.uk/fastweb/detail.asp?AltRef=14/0017/FULL&ApplicationNumber=14%2F0017%2FFull&AddressPrefix=&Postcode=&CaseOfficer=&ParishName=&AreaTeam=&WardMember=&DateReceivedStart=&DateReceivedEnd=&DateDecidedStart=&DateDecidedEnd=&Locality=&AgentName=&ApplicantName=&ShowDecided=&DecisionLevel=&Sort1=FullAddressPrefix&Sort2=DateReceived+DESC&Submit=Search

Many Thanks
Jason

I wonder if anyone as thought that the Cormorant with the white on the head is a Continental Cormorant as pictured in the book Hamlyn guide Birds of Britain & Europe page 33 (this book is from WH. Smiths for £4.99 in the sale.

Update from the Moors. Mealy redpoll seen early on. On and around pools. Wigeon male. Shelduck pr. Shoveler most asleep c30. Pochard 40+. Jack snipe. Snipe 20. raven.

Got any pictures of the bird in question so the gular angle can be determined?
Have to say it didn't look any smaller/more compact than any of the other Cormorants present when I saw it last Sunday (presuming it's the same one). Difficult call anyway, as can be seen from the postings in the link above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back