• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Urban birding in Tallinn, Estonia - July 2022 (1 Viewer)

nkbj

Niels Kristian Bech Jensen
Denmark
My wife and I have just returned home from a week in Tallinn, Estonia. It was not meant to be a birding trip, but we had packed our 8x25 pocket binoculars just in case. On the other hand I had neglected to bring a long lens for the camera. Big mistake!

The Old Town of Tallinn is a beautiful medieval city surrounded by parks, which are nicknamed 'Tallinn's Green Heart'. In these parks we found a lot of birds including Feral Pigeons, House Sparrows, gulls, ducks, flycatchers (both spotted and pied), and many other species. It is a nice place to relax after touring the sights of the Old Town.

If you visit Tallinn, you must take a trip to the Paljassaare Special Conservation Area on the outskirts of the city. Take bus number 59 from Balti Jaam (the railway station) to Pikakari (last stop on the line), and you are at the entrance of the area. On a warm day in july we saw lots of gulls, terns, waders, warblers, Thrush Nightingale, White Stork, and much more. Plants and insects are also abundant (remember to bring insect repellent).

In total we registered 71 bird species in a week of on and off urban birding. A complete list is included in the images.

The birding possibilities in and around Tallinn are described here: https://citynature.eu/en/tallinn/.

Z50_0028.JPGZ50_0286.JPGZ50_0558.JPGZ50_0592.JPGZ50_0435.JPGZ50_0445.JPGZ50_0468.JPG2022-07-20 Tallinn Bird List.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back