• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

US Army M-19 modular binoculars (7 Viewers)

the perfect collimation after reassebly is really perfect, so the collimation system works quite,well.

The main thing is you're happy!

But without a collimator and the understanding of the procedure, your comment just means your spatial accommodation--at your IPD--is working well. If others with the same, or nearly the same IPD, are the only ones to use the bino life is good with nothing else needed. If that isn't the case, all bets are off. There's more than one flavor of alignment.

Just like "shockproofing" being good enough, alignment can also be GOOD ENOUGH without qualifying as the clinical, 3-axis "collimation" sought at the factory. But, unless you have a desire to be an opto-geek ... don't worry about it! Use your bino and be happy knowing you have succeeded in performing a good "conditional alignment," which is not a small task. I only wanted you to know of those degrees of alignment.

Take care of your specimen; it will undoubtedly rise in value. :t::cat:

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
Now at daylight in Germany I can see that the optical performance at daylight is a bit dull and yellow tinted, as often stated.
My 1970/80s common standard 8x30 Porro Kern Pizar from Switzerland beats it easily in transmission, but certainly not in flatness of field (or in ruggedness)
But in handling it is a nice bino, and when you use it in europe you will never meet a second one in the field...
And it has a fancy 2-direction reticle, you can use for nautical measurements or height of flying birds.
The old M3 has only a horizontal reticle, vertical is a ballistic scale wirh no use for civilians.

As I prefer a left reticle (my leading eye) US Binos there suit me much better than the European with reticle at the right side.
gretting from Germany
Harald

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back