• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using DS eyepieces for viewing on a ED82 fieldscope? (1 Viewer)

Brink

I have a 82ED that I almost exclusively use the 38x MC wide eyepiece with (I also have both of the MC zooms). I have wanted a 24/30 MC wide eyepiece for a while now, but they just aren't available anymore. You can still get the 24/30 DS eyepiece, but as a non-glasses wearer it seems like it might be more trouble than its worth. Does anybody use these DS eyepieces for non-glasses viewing? I feel like even if I get it to work I will probably still gravitate to the 38x MC because it will be more comfortable.

I found the 30x DS eyepiece does take a little getting used to with regards to eye placement but once you get the knack it's fine and a pleasure to look through. The ocluar lens is huge!

I bought the fieldscope bino bandit and that also helps with eye placement but I haven't field tested it enough yet.

I have a 82ED that I almost exclusively use the 38x MC wide eyepiece with (I also have both of the MC zooms). I have wanted a 24/30 MC wide eyepiece for a while now, but they just aren't available anymore. You can still get the 24/30 DS eyepiece, but as a non-glasses wearer it seems like it might be more trouble than its worth. Does anybody use these DS eyepieces for non-glasses viewing? I feel like even if I get it to work I will probably still gravitate to the 38x MC because it will be more comfortable.
I also have an 82 and 30/38x MC, as well as a 24/30 DS. The 24/30 DS is superb... huge FOV. Reminds me of a Swaro ATX/STX but it may actually be a bigger FOV. If you don't wear glasses then you need to find a way to keep space between your eye and the lens. You could fab an eyecup. I just hold my hand on the eyecup and crate an index/spacer with my thumb and it works fine. Well worth the view IMO. I like the view of 24/30 DS a little better than the 30/38 MC because it feels more immersive, like a picture window. It's very usable for me.

I also have an 82 and 30/38x MC, as well as a 24/30 DS. The 24/30 DS is superb... huge FOV. Reminds me of a Swaro ATX/STX but it may actually be a bigger FOV. If you don't wear glasses then you need to find a way to keep space between your eye and the lens. You could fab an eyecup. I just hold my hand on the eyecup and crate an index/spacer with my thumb and it works fine. Well worth the view IMO. I like the view of 24/30 DS a little better than the 30/38 MC because it feels more immersive, like a picture window. It's very usable for me.

Do you find the 38x better in some situations? Or do you pretty much only use the 30x? Do you have the 50x or 75x?

I just pulled the trigger on a 82 and it's coming with a 38x MC. I'm wondering what other eyepieces I should consider essential.

Do you find the 38x better in some situations? Or do you pretty much only use the 30x? Do you have the 50x or 75x?

I just pulled the trigger on a 82 and it's coming with a 38x MC. I'm wondering what other eyepieces I should consider essential.
I do prefer the 30/38x some times... I was using it last night to watch the heron's nest behind my house for about an hour. I'd also brought out the 50x DS but did not feel the need to use it. The 30/38x MC is a great eyepieces... Not too common either. 38x can be a bit much in some close range situations but it is a fine all-around eyepiece. I'd say I use it 50% of the time on my 82A. If you're going to get one more eyepiece, I would recommend the 24/30x, either DS or MC. The MC is lighter, physically narrower (FOV is the same or close) and has a twist-up eyecup but is a little harder to find... I got one from Japan and have been very happy with it. I use the 24/30x for general viewing, if I don't know what my position or subject will be. I have the 50x DS and 75x DS but have never used either yet, if you can believe that! I usually get absorbed in whatever I'm watching and don't think about needing more magnification. I wouldnt consider either the 50 or 75 "essential" unless maybe you plan to view the night sky with your 82. The image through the 30/38 is splendid, I think you'll be very happy with it.

The picture below doesnt do the scope or eyepiece justice but this is through the 30/38x MC, about 150-200 yards in fading daylight & cloudy skies, hand held with my older (6 years?) phone.
IMG_20220315_181814.jpgScreenshot_20220315-182100_Gallery.png

I have the 50x DS and 75x DS but have never used either yet, if you can believe that! I usually get absorbed in whatever I'm watching and don't think about needing more magnification. I wouldnt consider either the 50 or 75 "essential" unless maybe you plan to view the night sky with your 82. The image through the 30/38 is splendid, I think you'll be very happy with it.

Awesome, thanks for the insight!

I probably will eventually get all the DS eyepieces, but for now I was hoping to make do with just the one. Sounds like it should be fine. I have a weekend trip in May and a week long trip in June to really test the scope out.

I was pretty excited to find an 82 new old stock.
s-l1600.jpg

I use the 30/38x MC WF quite a bit, but more recently I have been using the 24/30X DS. I wanted the MC WF 24/30x but they are hard to find (There is one from Japan on Ebay right now coincidentally). With a 3D printed eyecup I like the ergonomics on the DS even more than the MC WF. I was worried that the eyepiece housing would be a bit too wide, but it rests nicely and comfortably against my nose.

I very rarely use the Zoom (I have the MCII, sold the MCI recently).

I use the 30/38x MC WF quite a bit, but more recently I have been using the 24/30X DS. I wanted the MC WF 24/30x but they are hard to find (There is one from Japan on Ebay right now coincidentally). With a 3D printed eyecup I like the ergonomics on the DS even more than the MC WF. I was worried that the eyepiece housing would be a bit too wide, but it rests nicely and comfortably against my nose.

If you are interested in an .stl file to print let me know and I can email it (not a supported file type on here). I had an overly complicated design to lock the eyecup on using the groove in the eyepiece but it turned out that the eyecup was slightly over-tight and needed a light sanding to even fit on in the first place. Then it fit very snug without having to lock on. I put a ring of electrical tape on it for good measure but even that was overkill.

I would consider that 24/30x MC from Japan... if you watch it they may shoot you an offer. If you can get it for $170 delivered that would be worth it in my opinion.

Enjoy that nice new scope!

If you are interested in an .stl file to print let me know and I can email it (not a supported file type on here). I had an overly complicated design to lock the eyecup on using the groove in the eyepiece but it turned out that the eyecup was slightly over-tight and needed a light sanding to even fit on in the first place. Then it fit very snug without having to lock on. I put a ring of electrical tape on it for good measure but even that was overkill.
Hi Brink

I would like this file is possible pls. Can mssg you my email if that helps.

Thanks

I would consider that 24/30x MC from Japan... if you watch it they may shoot you an offer. If you can get it for $170 delivered that would be worth it in my opinion.

Enjoy that nice new scope!

The 24/30x MC has a shorter eye relief spec on Nikon's website versus the DS. Is this correct or just a misprint? I thought the DS were the same optics in a different package.

The 24/30x MC has a shorter eye relief spec on Nikon's website versus the DS. Is this correct or just a misprint? I thought the DS were the same optics in a different package.
I suspect they are different. The MC 24/30 is very short and has a smaller ocular lens, Nikon also says it isn't recommended for use with the ED50. I am not sure you would necessarily notice a difference between the two though.

Havent looked at the specs or measured but I have both the 24/30x MC & DS and do not notice a practical difference in eye relief between the two - the MC is easier to use because of the twist up eyecup (I used to have an older MC with a rubber eyecup like those found on many older Porro prism binoculars like the Nikon SE and it also worked quite well). The DS is a significantly larger/heavier eyepiece, specifically with the 24/30 but also with the 30/38. This is most noticeable on smaller Fieldscopes like the EDIII. The MC & DS may use the same glass but the housing is different. I cant say I've noticed a difference in the view but I havent done a really thorough comparison... Maybe I should.

By the way, you can see this post for some photos showing difference in magnification between the 20/25x, 24/30x DS and 30/38x MC eyepieces in the 82A: What eyepiece do I have?

Here's a look at how the 30/38x MC, 24/30x DS and 24/30x MC (left to right) compare physically. All of the DS eyepieces are essentially the same shape/size/weight. The lenses are larger in diameter on the DS.

I have not compared the 24/30 eyepieces side by side extensively. I did set both up on two different EDIIIs and didnt really notice a difference, but I was also paying more attention to the scopes themselves than the eyepieces. I will try to compare the eyepieces again sometime soon. It is possible that the eye relief is different and that the field of view may even be different... I know the FOV in the 24/30 DS feels huge.

IMG_20220317_144054.jpgIMG_20220317_144112.jpgIMG_20220317_144206.jpg

The other DS eyepieces are the same as the MC and WF versions, as far as I know, but the 16/24/30x DS is a unique optical formula and is not the same as the MC or WF versions (which are identical to each other). It has the same FOV but also has longer eye relief. I find that it has a slightly flatter field (good for photography) than the MC, but that eye positioning on the optical central axis is more critical than the MC for getting the sharpest view.

--AP

The other DS eyepieces are the same as the MC and WF versions, as far as I know, but the 16/24/30x DS is a unique optical formula and is not the same as the MC or WF versions (which are identical to each other). It has the same FOV but also has longer eye relief. I find that it has a slightly flatter field (good for photography) than the MC, but that eye positioning on the optical central axis is more critical than the MC for getting the sharpest view.

--AP

I think I'll go with the DS version. I'm an eyeglasses wearer so eye relief is important and an adjustable eye cup isn't so much.

I'm also going to get the 50x. Do you find the 75x useful at all? I'm thinking it would only be useful early in the morning before the mirage picks up.

MC vs DS

Note: 30XDS has a whopping 7.5 mm exit pupil on the ED82 scopes. Yes, it's an obvious error.

I own the 30/50/75 DS eyepieces and the MC2 30X.
I believe the Nikon eye relief numbers are accurate for the DS eyepieces.
The MC and DS 30X are not the same to my eyes. I much prefer the DS.
All the DS eyepieces are sharp across the FOV.
I ONLY use the 75X to view the night sky...Trapezium is a favorite target. Otherwise, it's easier to use the 25-75X zoom for high mags.

...Do you find the 75x useful at all? I'm thinking it would only be useful early in the morning before the mirage picks up.
I have only used the 75x WF for sun/moon/eclipse/transit astronomy viewing.
I don't find high powers all that useful for birding in general. If I need them w/my Nikon, I use the 25-75x zoom.
For terrestrial scoping where I need high power (e.g. my turtle research) I use the 88mm Kowa with 25-60x zoom and 1.6x converter to conveniently cover 40-96x.

--AP

Update: I've had my Nikon 82a with 38x MC for two weeks now. I also bought a new MCII zoom from Japan, it only took two days to arrive.

What a difference a spotting scope makes for certain types of birding! Last night I took a drive looking for a few prairie potholes that weren't still covered by ice. I found one with 11 swans and a group of 60 or so ducks that was a little ways off the road. With binoculars I could pick out the obvious Canvasbacks, but with a scope I could easily pick out 4 Ring Necked Ducks from a group of Lesser Scaups. I also spotted a lone Eurasian Widgeon (lifer) from the many American Widgeon that were on the pond. The scope also made it very easy to tell that the swans were Tundra Swans and not Trumpeter.

I like the 38x MC a lot, it seems a great magnification for birding. It's easy to use both with and without glasses. The zoom works at 25x with glasses, but zoom in to maybe 30x and I need to remove my glasses to get the full FOV. It is very sharp and should be useful if I need just a little bit more magnification than 38x. I notice at 75x mirage makes the image mush. I thought I would get the 30x DS right away, but now I don't think it's so neccessary as I really like the 38x.

All in all I'm very fond of the scope.

Last edited:
Update: I've had my Nikon 82a with 38x MC for two weeks now. I also bought a new MCII zoom from Japan, it only took two days to arrive.

What a difference a spotting scope makes for certain types of birding! Last night I took a drive looking for a few prairie potholes that weren't still covered by ice. I found one with 11 swans and a group of 60 or so ducks that was a little ways off the road. With binoculars I could pick out the obvious Canvasbacks, but with a scope I could easily pick out 4 Ring Necked Ducks from a group of Lesser Scaups. I also spotted a lone Eurasian Widgeon (lifer) from the many American Widgeon that were on the pond. The scope also made it very easy to tell that the swans were Tundra Swans and not Trumpeter.

I like the 38x MC a lot, it seems a great magnification for birding. It's easy to use both with and without glasses. The zoom works at 25x with glasses, but zoom in to maybe 30x and I need to remove my glasses to get the full FOV. It is very sharp and should be useful if I need just a little bit more magnification than 38x. I notice at 75x mirage makes the image mush. I thought I would get the 30x DS right away, but now I don't think it's so neccessary as I really like the 38x.

All in all I'm very fond of the scope.
Have you been to Frank Lake (south of Calgary, East of High River)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back