• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using flash on birds (1 Viewer)

I've found that some birds are not keen on flash and will flinch/flee and others will not bother. It all depends on the individual bird (even within the same species). HSS is useful to a degree, but once you go beyond a certain shutter speed it may not be much use anyway. I try to use flash up to 1/500th and no more. Although the last 12 months I've used fill flash less and less. Then again, I am in Sydney, Australia where we get great light most of the time so flash is not always a required tool.

I agree that thread 8 is very interesting. I am a purely hobby birder/photographer and although my life list must be backed up with a photo, I do not use flash period. Nobody looks a my photos except family and friends (even if they don't really want to) apart from the few I put in the gallery. There is no educational/consevational value to my photography, so I don't see why I should subject wildlife to temporary night blindness especially in areas where predators might take advantage. I recently made an exception to my rule of photographic proof for lifers and gave myself a tick for a Barn Owl flying at night because I did not want to use flash. IMHO far too many hobby birders make too much of an environmental impact by disturbing wildlife by using flash photography, even when it is not needed, by using playback calls, or by getting too close to the very things they claim to love and want to protect. If I can't get a photo without overtly disturbing the subject, I go without. Tommorow is always another day

I am hypothesising from far too little data but in my opinion birds and animals have experience of lightning and see flash as a manifestation of that, which is why they mostly pay little attention to it.

It may be more relevant to try to explain the ones that do react than those that don't.

John

The snow can be your best friend in winter time it acts as a natural reflector in sunny
days with good compacted snow. Might have to adjust the white balance but should result in great lighting conditions. As for the better beamer I have it with the SB-900 have used it on and off but not as much. I have seen some folks go insane with the flash like a strobe light that's just wrong if it takes you that many times to get the shot please put the camera down and learn to use it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back