• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UVHD+ 8X32 and eyeglasses... (1 Viewer)

chill6x6

Supporter
Has anyone had any success using the UVHD+ 8X32 with eyeglasses? I tried them several years ago and chickened out. No one has these in my surrounding area to try.

Asking for a friend....

Hi Chuck,

Hopefully some with firsthand knowledge will respond. But it's likely to be a close call - depending on individual facial anatomy and glasses fit -
so the old 'try before you buy'.

Canip/ Pinac has measured the effective ER from the eyepiece rim for most HD Plus models (excepting the 10x32).
And for the 8x32, it's only 12 mm (vs a claimed 13 mm).

For comparison with other HD Plus models, EER (vs claimed) is:
7x42, 14 (17)
8x42, 13.5 (16)
10x42, 13.5 (16)
8x50, 14 (18)
10x50, 12.5 (15)
12x50, 11 (13)
- - - -
And for the 8x20 UV, 14 (15)

The details can be found at: The PINACOLLECTION – Binoculars Today
Along with those for a variety of other Leitz/ Leica models:
Leica: Leitz.jpg
And along with a lot of other binoculars!

John

Has anyone had any success using the UVHD+ 8X32 with eyeglasses? I tried them several years ago and chickened out. No one has these in my surrounding area to try.

Asking for a friend....
My experience: it may work in certain instances with very slim glasses and „favorable“ face anatomy, but usually doesn‘t.
I do sometimes use other Leica models with sunglasses, but not the UV 8x32.

Asking for a friend....
Recently with glasses, a no go. Having just had cataract surgery, could see just fine without them. As I need bifocals for close now, Sibley and Merlin in phone for instance, think these a no go. Sweet little unit though.

Very nice binocular - the 10x32 version is top of my wish/dream list. Eye relief whenever I've used the 8x seems very similar to the e2 i.e probably too short for most glasses.

Canip/ Pinac has measured the effective ER from the eyepiece rim for most HD Plus models (excepting the 10x32).
And for the 8x32, it's only 12 mm (vs a claimed 13 mm).
For comparison with other HD Plus models, EER (vs claimed) is:

7x42, 14 (17)
8x42, 13.5 (16)
10x42, 13.5 (16)
8x50, 14 (18)
10x50, 12.5 (15)

12x50, 11 (13)

I'm confused. I wear glasses and can w/out undue difficulty use the 8x42. Are they really only 13.5? If so, it's tempting to try the 32's. If I extend the 42 eyecups out 1.5mm will I replicate the 32 ER?

I have deep set eyes, but use my binoculars without glasses. The 32 size Leica’s, BN or Ultravid both give me kidney beaning, I imagine because of that shorter eye relief. My 8x42s are perfect without glasses, doable with glasses but not great, while my 7x35 Retrovids work perfect with glasses.

Interesting that there really isn’t a specific minimum eye relief number that works for eye glass wearers. It depends on multiple factors. I can easily use the 7x42 , which are excellent and even the 8x42 with sunglasses and able to see the whole field , but not with the 32’s.

Paul

The 32 size Leica’s, BN or Ultravid both give me kidney beaning, I imagine because of that shorter eye relief.
This made me curious, as I'd never seen the effect before with these binoculars, but in a very quick test just now realized I could get them to show the kidney bean image, but only if I set the eyecups in the closed position. With them out it was impossible for me to duplicate it, but unextended meant useless image every time.

Paul,

There are several issues with the measurement/evaluation process that interact with each other. In short, simply measuring the "usable" eye relief from the eyecup is overly simplistic. As can be seen below, depending upon the diameter of the eyecup, the apex of a typical eyeglass will come closer to the eye-lens than the top of the rim. Second the particular eyeglass prescription will demand more or less eye relief, based primarily on whether it's a positive lens (farsighted) or a negative lens (nearsighted). The observer also obtains a greater or lesser FOV and apparent image size depending on these optical factors. So it's really complicated, and a simple generalization is not possible.

Ed

Eyeglass in use.jpegEyeglass-Eyecup.jpginteract.

Last edited:
The 32 size Leica’s, BN or Ultravid both give me kidney beaning, I imagine because of that shorter eye relief.
No, that sort of blackout is normally related to getting too close to the eyepiece, as Trinovid was able to do here:
I could get them to show the kidney bean image, but only if I set the eyecups in the closed position
So KB in John's case means the eyecups aren't quite long enough for your "deep-set" eyes. Are you sure you have them turned all the way CCW? There's a final click-stop that's really meant for removing them, but that requires some force so they can be used perfectly well in that position.

Last edited:
No, that sort of blackout is normally related to getting too close to the eyepiece, as Trinovid was able to do here…Are you sure you have them turned all the way CCW?
I was able to do that yesterday because his post made me curious. All of my full sized Leicas have no problem with the effect and only by looking through them in a way I’d never used them before was I able to duplicate his results.

No, that sort of blackout is normally related to getting too close to the eyepiece, as Trinovid was able to do here:

So KB in John's case means the eyecups aren't quite long enough for your "deep-set" eyes. Are you sure you have them turned all the way CCW? There's a final click-stop that's really meant for removing them, but that requires some force so they can be used perfectly well in that position.
I’m sure. I owned the 8x32 BNs for a month along with my new at the time 8x32 SEs. The SEs had a reputation for kidney beaning, but fit me like a glove with a super easy view, while the BNs, which I loved in every other respect, were more finicky. This was using both without eyeglasses. The BNs were functional, a little finicky, but I could live with them, but since the SEs were so easy, I sold the BNs and kept the SEs. I have no problems at all with my 8x42 Ultravids or 7x35 Retrovids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back