• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Various Moths ID, Bell County, Texas (1 Viewer)

TorchBCT

All of these pictures were taken near a creek in central Texas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Picture 029 edited.jpg
    Picture 029 edited.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Picture 015 edited.jpg
    Picture 015 edited.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 019 edited.jpg
    Picture 019 edited.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 43
Hi, Brandon,
there's a good digital guide to US moths but there are hundreds of species and I don't know any of them. I suspect that Texas may not be well covered anyway as you are heading towards the warmer climate, presumably with more species than further north.
The first one has some resemblance to pink-striped oakworm moth (Anisota virginiensis) and the third looks a bit like some of the Macaria species (edit: no, the wing shape is all wrong!). But don't take my word for it. Have a look at: http://mothphotographersgroup.msstate.edu/Files/Live/Living32.1F.shtml and trawl through the plates.
Good luck,
Ken

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back