• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Velbon (1 Viewer)

Take the carbon 600 for thicker legs. A scope is heavy. With carbon and thicker legs you will get a good vibration reduction. I use a 640 (Yes, I know 630 with 3 segments per leg is more sturdy. But the 4 legs are shorter and even with mounted 128RC head still short enough for good transportation). Sometimes I don't need the last segment or only part of it. A 500 series is may be a little bit to thin.
The 200 series is aluminum? I would not recommend it.
The series with 5 at the end are with clips, the 0 are screwed.

I'd go for the 600R - the splitable central column and the fact that you can spread the legs wider make it a more versatile tripod.

I have an older CF Velbon with thick legs and it damps vibration extremely well, much better than the more normal metal tripods that most of the people have at the hawkwatch I go to. I didn't know what I was getting when I bought it, but it was definitely the right choice, not that even better ones don't exist.

I use the Velbon CF631EL, with a 701RC2, great tripod, & head, got it for my Leica 77 but now use it for my ED50 bit much for the little scope but i have no vibration at all.

What scope do you use Andy ?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back