• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Verbascum? (Cambs, UK) (1 Viewer)

DoghouseRiley

Hi All
I found a smattering of verbascum plants at the entrance of a sewage works.
Both seemed to be the same species, with different colour forms.
The only two likely candidates I could find in Cassell's were:
Verbascum blattaria (Moth Mullein), though it looks like there leaves are pale and hairy.
Verbascum Virgatum, mentioning gladular hairs which can be seen in the pictures.
Couild someone please take a look and ID?
Yours, Gareth

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 12
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    721.1 KB · Views: 12
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    564.7 KB · Views: 12
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    601.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    862.1 KB · Views: 12
Yes, seems to be one of those two species (shape of anthers + globular fruit).
Seems to be moth mullein: flowers borne singly (apparently); flower stalks longer than calyx.
(per Wild Flower Key).
Where exactly in Cambs is this?

Yes, seems to be one of those two species (shape of anthers + globular fruit).
Seems to be moth mullein: flowers borne singly (apparently); flower stalks longer than calyx.
(per Wild Flower Key).
Where exactly in Cambs is this?
Hi Butty
Stirtloe sewage station near Buckden, the small station not the one at the end of what is known as the Waterboard Road. I have assumed that it came in on the tyres of the heavy vehicles that turn up from time to time. As far as I know neither V. blattaria or V. virgatum are commonly found nearby.
One thing that might help that I forgot to mention. The stems will bend at the least amount of wind and toss the flowers around, took a while to get the pics. I have tried to find comparisons on flickr but in this instance it appears that Mulleins are commonly mis-named.
I can provide close-ups of fruit, stems etc if that helps - the jpegs come from 20mp+ RAW files.
Yours, Gareth

Last edited:
These look fine for V. blattaria which I see often & frequently has this pale creamy form.
Hi aeshna5
Cassell's suggests that V. blattaria is not a common plant, certainly not in Cambridgeshire. But it could easily have come in on lorry tyres from anywhere.
Will any close-ups of parts of the plant be definitive?
Yours, Gareth

The photos are good enough for a definitive ID as V. blattaria.
Seems to be on the increase in the Netherlands, maybe something similar is happening in the UK.

The photos are good enough for a definitive ID as V. blattaria.
Seems to be on the increase in the Netherlands, maybe something similar is happening in the UK.
Great news, thanks for that. It seems to be finding a foothold in wasteland in th UK and these plants were between two entrances of a sewage station. Contrete, gravel and a bit of moist soil.
Could you just let me know how you got to the conclusion? What areas are definitive for V.blattaria?
Thanks, Gareth

Hi aeshna5
Cassell's suggests that V. blattaria is not a common plant, certainly not in Cambridgeshire. But it could easily have come in on lorry tyres from anywhere.
Will any close-ups of parts of the plant be definitive?
Yours, Gareth
It turns up regularly in the London area-may be not common, but not that unusual. I also see it in gardens including mine where it turns up. Also used to see it when I used to co-lead tours in Kazakhstan, so more than familiar with the plant.

It turns up regularly in the London area-may be not common, but not that unusual. I also see it in gardens including mine where it turns up. Also used to see it when I used to co-lead tours in Kazakhstan, so more than familiar with the plant.
Thanks aeshna5, could you give me an idea about the differences between the two. Cassell's suggests that V. Blattaria is less "glandular" which only really works if both are side by side.
Yours, Gareth

Have a look at the following which is a useful guide to Verbascum:

Flora of East Anglia>_templates>group_verbascum
Thanks for that aeshna5.
Very interestingly unlike Cassell's, this clearly shows that V. blattaria is nothing like V. virgatum, in shape and structure of the plant. The latter is far bigger and sturdier. The basal leaves are not greying or hairy. From the pictures on the website alone, it is clearly the former. Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back