• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vernon, B.C. Canada April 9 / 23 (1 Viewer)

Loutsy

Hi - Would appreciate it if someone could confirm this is a Greater Scaup (vs. a Lesser Scaup). Not a great photo, but hope this is sufficient. Spotted April 9, 2023 in Vernon, B.C.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• Greater Scaup Apr 9 23 IMGP5342.jpg
    Greater Scaup Apr 9 23 IMGP5342.jpg
    491.5 KB · Views: 39
I’m getting a “Lesser feel” for this, the shading on the white sides which is just discernible on your image, also the extent of the grey going back on the upper-parts also the almost white lozenge shape to the rear side…but wait for others.

Cheers

I don't think this can be identified with any confidence. If pressed, I'd say Greater, due to relatively clean white flank contrasting clearly with back. Head position not helpful, but what we can see is consistent with a round head - no hint of the peak that a Lesser might show at this angle, but that's a huge stretch from this photo. Again, I'd personally leave it as "scaup, species unknown."

Edit: maybe it's possible to get a hint from migration timing and/or routes. My (somewhat dated) book says you should see Lesser year-round, and you're just a bit north of winter range for Greater (and way, way south of Greater's summer range). So any Greater you see this time of year is probably on migration, and you might be able to check ebird (or your nearest banding project) to double-check where they're coming from and what dates they normally pass through.

Last edited:
Maybe greater scaup from the bill size, but I don't think there's anything else safely discernible in this photo that could identify it. The head position is impossible for ID by head-shape, and the photo quality is much too low (no offence) to see any upperparts plumage-pattern detail. Do you have other photos, especially with head side-on?

Maybe greater scaup from the bill size, but I don't think there's anything else safely discernible in this photo that could identify it. The head position is impossible for ID by head-shape, and the photo quality is much too low (no offence) to see any upperparts plumage-pattern detail. Do you have other photos, especially with head side-on?
No, unfortunately that was a close as I could get with 300mm lens.

The request for more photos wasn't about the distance/quality as much as the angle of the head to the camera: a more side-on head, even if low quality, could be much better for ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back