• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Video and review of KOWA YF II 8x30 (1 Viewer)

binomania

Good evening everybody. This Friday I'm talking about a small but high-performance binocular that I think has few rivals in its price range. It costs 159 euros and has a ten-year guarantee! I thank the Palude Brabbia Nature Reserve for the permission to shoot in the restricted area.
Official site: https://www.binomania.it/kowa_yf_ii_8x30/
Youtube channel:

This night i will insert in the video the english subtitles. Thanks in advance for the patience!

Thanks for the review.
I have the 1st generation Kowa YF 8 x 30.
I have been a fan of the YF for a while now , and I agree with you that this little binocular punches WAAAY above its price point and is well worth buying , I will be keeping mine.
Cheers.

Thanks for the review.
I have the 1st generation Kowa YF 8 x 30.
I have been a fan of the YF for a while now , and I agree with you that this little binocular punches WAAAY above its price point and is well worth buying , I will be keeping mine.
Cheers.
Many Thanks for the comments. Yes i like so much for the price, i prefer the 6x30 respect 8x30, but are personal tastes :)

Was excited about these until I saw a close focus distance of 5m. Is it common for a Porro to have such a long distance?

Another great review, Piergiovanni, thank you!

I'm a huge fan of the original Kowa YF, both 8x30 and 6x30, which I've used extensively over the last 3 years. Such an amazing little device: the performance, the grip, just perfect, and for very little money (around 120 € originally).

However, recently I had the chance to test the Kowa YF 8x30 against Opticron Adventurer WP T 8x32, and found the latter to offer a superior performance. I made a little review here in Birdforum.

I wonder if the new YF have incorporated new optical improvements compared to the original YF. Have Kowa told you anything about the differences between this new green series and the original black/red?

Since I'm aware that you reviewed the Opticron Adventurer series some time ago. I wonder if you still have the Adventurer and you had the chance to compare the Adventurer and the new YF, that would be really interesting. Comparing my units of YF and Adventurer I found the Opticron to be superior.

Many Thanks for the comments. Yes i like so much for the price, i prefer the 6x30 respect 8x30, but are personal tastes :)
Yes , I also originally wanted the 6 x 30 YF , but sadly this size is not sold in my country.
Opticron binoculars are also not sold in my country.
:(
Cheers.

I wonder if the new YF have incorporated new optical improvements compared to the original YF. Have Kowa told you anything about the differences between this new green series and the original black/red?
From a US retail site, text that surely came from Kowa:
"The new porro-prism YF-II range benefits from the same great optics in the original YF binoculars and continue to offer an excellent price/performance ratio with multi-coated lenses, lightweight body and sleek ergonomics that made the original line-up so popular. The YF-II series feature a cosmetic upgrade to a new stylish green body color in order to gain a more consistent brand image throughout our whole range of optics. As well as a new Kowa green body, the product packaging has been upgraded and also adopts the new corporate style applied to sporting optics products."
In a word: cosmetics. Good thing you already like the YF! (Perhaps the tolerances are now better on the focusing though, as Piergiovanni's review suggests.)

From a US retail site, text that surely came from Kowa:
"The new porro-prism YF-II range benefits from the same great optics in the original YF binoculars and continue to offer an excellent price/performance ratio with multi-coated lenses, lightweight body and sleek ergonomics that made the original line-up so popular. The YF-II series feature a cosmetic upgrade to a new stylish green body color in order to gain a more consistent brand image throughout our whole range of optics. As well as a new Kowa green body, the product packaging has been upgraded and also adopts the new corporate style applied to sporting optics products."
In a word: cosmetics. Good thing you already like the YF! (Perhaps the tolerances are now better on the focusing though, as Piergiovanni's review suggests.)
A-ha, so you take away the marketing blurb and it seems they're one and the same, thanks for that.
I agree with you, that the focus is the weakest point of the YF. It's spongy and not the most precise, it's a pity that Kowa didn't take the opportunity to improve the YF. Actually, one thing that I'd love to see (pure daydreaming, it will never happen) is a YF Plus. It would be great if they took the YF concept one step beyond and offered a YF beefed up, with better materials a good focuser and improved optics, for say 350 - 400 €, I'd buy it with my eyes closed and it would probably give the Monarch 7 & Co. a run for its money.

The Nikon E II seems to have that niche to itself now.
I would have agreed with that about 3 - 4 years ago, but I'm afraid as per 2021 the the prices for a brand new EII are sky rocketing, and it seems difficult to find them for less than 500 €, and way more in some cases. I've seen European sellers asking for more than 600 €, and if you import them from Japan for around 400 €, if that exists anymore, you have to add a pretty hefty import fee which would take it again into 500 € territory. While I'm a Porro lover, the 500 € roofs arena is so crowded with such high quality competitors that I think a porro would struggle there, and probably only "special" devices like the EII with its allure for classic binocular lovers has any chance selling appeal, even with its notable drawbacks.

And then, something like the YF addresses some serious flaws of the EII, such as ergonomics (no tilt forward, longer barrels) and waterproofing (and weight). There's the promising 8x30 APM but I don't think it's on sale (I haven't seen it on sale in Europe, while you can find the 6x30 in astroshop for 195 € and it looks really impressive). Pinac did a review of a prototype of the 8x30 APM in CN:

If a future 8x30 APM is priced according to the 6x30, it's performance seems quite impressive (better than the Vixen Ultima which I find to be a solid performer), and almost at EII/Habicht level, and with the added bonus of waterproofing. However, the APM suffers from a pretty hefty weight for a 8x30 at 620 g. Not the end of the world, but heavier than both the EII or the Habicht (let alone the plasticky YF). That's why I think there's room for a YF+ at 250-300 € (even a little more) to harvest in what appears to be an empty niche at the moment, the area beyond the Nikon AE, Kowa YF, etc.

tenex and yarellii, I read that the green YF models have Kowa's KR coating on the exterior of the lenses but the previous black models do not.
binomania, thanks for your review.

tenex and yarellii, I read that the green YF models have Kowa's KR coating on the exterior of the lenses but the previous black models do not.
binomania, thanks for your review.
As far as I can read on the box of my YF 8x30 (original, first version) as well as on old promotional materials from Kowa, the first YF does indeed have KR coatings, you can see it on Kowa's YouTube channel:

(check the description, the video is 8 years old)

So the difference (if there's any) it's not there, I'm afraid.

I agree with you, that the focus is the weakest point of the YF. It's spongy and not the most precise, it's a pity that Kowa didn't take the opportunity to improve the YF...............................

One has to remember that the Kowa YF (as some others) is based on the original Leupold Greenring Yosemite model. And the feature that made that model waterproof is still the same. It provides a seal, but at the cost of this "spongy" focus. I have the original Leupold in its 6x30 version. And I have since bought several "successors" as substitutes as the "Greenring" was no longer available. Still all the successors show that "spongy" focus, yet they are all great for the price. And they all have the same narrow eye-width feature that makes them very suitable for kids. Thus, the successors I bought went all to my grandchildren. :)

I understand that the fellow at Leupold who constructed the original "Greenring" model specifically had his young daughter in mind as a user.

Although this thread has gone silent for more than a year, I open it again to shed some light on the discussion about improvements/changes in the YF II compared to the original YF.

I've finally had the chance to compare my mom's YF 6x30 and my daughter's YF II 6x30.

KowaYFvsYFII630.jpeg

Although in other thread there was a discussion whether Kowa had adopted a new case for the YF II that allowed to carry the binoculars on its side, and thus have a slimmer case, in this unit it was not the case. In this case, the case remained the same (see what I did there?). I can report that both case, strap and rain guard were exactly the same.

As for the binoculars, they look exactly the same. Same dimensions and design, same rubber (although in different colour, obviously), same eyecups, same focus wheel with the same spongy feeling. Looking at the lenses, the reflections looked pretty much the same. On some occasions I'd say the YF II could display a slightly different colour pattern, with some more purple, but that could be just changing reflections. For the most part, it's the same device, with 3 notable differences you can discover upon closer inspection.

1. The YFII does not carry a "Made in China" sticker, but a "Assy. in Philippines", as if components were shipped from China (or elsewhere) and were assembled in the Philippines (there's a number of other brands selling pretty nice optics made in the Philippines, I can think of Sightron or Kenko).
2. In the YFII there's a protruding bit of plastic at the front end of the hinge. Unscrew the cap and you discover the YFII can be mounted on a tripod. If you look at the picture, you can see it clearly. The original YF has no space for a tripod adaptor. Although not something you use everyday, it's something I end up missing in the models that don't have it. So, well done, Kowa.
3. Regarding the discussion about coatings we had earlier on in this thread, I have to say that there is a (at least on paper) difference in coatings. While the badge on the hinge/bridge of the YF says "KR Coatings", the one on the YF II says "KTR Coatings". All else remains the same: overall lettering design, font, size, etc. So apparently Kowa has introduced new (improved?) coatings.

Comparing the two side by side under different light circumstances, I'd say the difference, if any, is quite hard to tell. Whatever improvement the KTR bring is really subtle. Sometimes I think I could have seem something in the way of contrast... but look again and I wouldn't bet 10 € that there was any difference.

So, there you have it. If you own an YF, not much new to report apart from the tripod adaptor entry. If you're going to buy one; unless you really need the tripod socket, I'd say go for whatever is cheaper or more convenient to find.

Thanks to these posts and others about the kowa YF 11 6x30s I have just received a pair,
I am very impressed with the quality and value; but now the downside -- I question
why I have spent as much money as I have on the high quality optics when I can get this good
for $100 US?

❓❓ edj

have been able to test the 6x30 model but the focus wheel has seemed horrible, slow, with stops, and my fingers got caught in the rubber... otherwise good for its price.

Hello, I have a 6x30 YF II coming Friday, but am able to order a YF (1st gen) 8x30 for the same price. Any opinions on the 6x vs the 8x?
I have both and have tested them many times side by side. Here are my personal impressions.
  • The image is nice on both, but the 6x30 seems to give a more punchy image, more contrasty and with what appears to be more resolution (mind you, I haven't made any tests, it's just an impression).
  • However, although the FOV of the 6x30 is wider (8 º vs 7,5 º), the AFOV of the 8x30 is more satisfactory (this is a great example to explain FOV vs AFOV). Thus, the image of the 8x30 can be a bit more engaging.
  • And now the strange bit. The 6x30 with its 5 mm exit pupil should offer an easier eye placement compared to the 3,75 mm EP of the 8x30. However, after many tests, in my case I find the opposite to be true. I don't know why, but I find it easier to get blackouts in the 6x30, and using the 8x30 seems more natural. Don't ask me why.
Anyway, both are great. In my personal experience, if it was for me, I'd buy the 8x30, for my mum and daughter, I have indeed bought the 6x30.

have been able to test the 6x30 model but the focus wheel has seemed horrible, slow, with stops, and my fingers got caught in the rubber... otherwise good for its price.
Yes, the focus wheel on the YF is the Achilles heel of the YF, it's spongy and not very precise. However, after using it for several years, I can say it's pretty consistent and doesn't have a lot of play. I've tried many other 200 $/€ modern roofs with way worse focusers (especially from the likes of Bushnell and Celestron). It's one of the areas where I find other siblings (Vortex, Vixen, Opticron) do a little better than Kowa.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back