• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vientiane, Laos this afternoon (1 Viewer)

Aladdin

Thailand
Dear Members and bird watchers!

I recording this bird today, is it possible to ID the bird from the attached clip?

I also took a picture (of another bird) and I ID the bird as a young Tree Sparrow. But the yellow gape seems to be a little too long.

Kind Regards and happy birding
Aladdin

Attachments

• Unknown in Laos.mp3
    35.3 KB
  • xxxxxxxxx.jpg
    xxxxxxxxx.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 29
Thank you!

What confuse me with the picture is the yellow gape that makes it looks longer than on a grown bird.

Thanks again!
Aladdin

You can just ignore that: a nestling's gape-flanges disappear within days of fledging.
Thank you again Butty!

Actually I was thinking about this, but you put me straight. I was thinking the yellow was for MAMA and PAPA to have something to aim on with the yellow colour. But now I understand, should have been obvious after looking at birds begging for food from MAMA and PAPA.

It looks like they bill is open 180 Deg. I was trying to ID the bird yesterday and I saw the yellow gape in the young ones and the adults did have smaller gape and I just though that they were not obvious as the yellow colour had disappeared.

So believe me when I say that I was pretty excited to learn that the gape is healing away like a human baby's head that can be squeesed at birth

Thanks again, highly appreciated! I really did not have a clue about the disappearing gape and this was a very interesting fact that I learned.
Aladdin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back