• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vietnam - Last Part - 2 more birds and a mysterious bathing dude (1 Viewer)

Fwin71

Bird 7: Pic 1 and 2: We had several White's thrush in Cuc Phuong but in Bach Ma (central highlands) we had this thrush, which for us looked more like a scaly thrush (Zoothera dauma)...

Bird 8: Pic 3. We thought on the field that this was a paddyfield pipit but after a closer look at the pics we think it could be a Richard's pipit because of the long beak, the pattern on median coverts, and posture. This one was seen around Dalat cultivated field.

Bird 9: Pic 4. We cannot tell too much about this one? its too dark, too blurred, but it could be an interesting one. We saw it in Cuc Phuong, northern Vietnam... It could be a female white-throated rock-thrush...

That's all, thanks again for the help!!

Attachments

• Scaly or white thrush (1).JPG
    Scaly or white thrush (1).JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Scaly or white thrush (2).JPG
    Scaly or white thrush (2).JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Paddy or RIchard's (1).JPG
    Paddy or RIchard's (1).JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Paddy or Richard's (2).JPG
    Paddy or Richard's (2).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 23
  • Bathing.JPG
    Bathing.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 54
The Thrush does look a bit like Scaly, with those yellow wingbars, dark centres to the greater coverts and prominent black mark behind the eye, but I don't have first-hand experience of either species, so I'm probably not the right person to comment.

Re the Pipit, again I'm not sure but I can't see anything to suggest it isn't Paddyfield. Lores are not clear, underparts are warmly coloured and the tail is quite short.

I can't see much on the last bird. The bill looks pretty large - could it be Dark-sided Thrush or something similar?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back