• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viewing Images (1 Viewer)

Grousemore

I've often felt it would be useful to be able to view two or more images on the screen at the same time,i.e for bird ID purposes.
I can't see a way of doing it with Windows Pic and Fax Viewer,does anyone know a method?

Are you talking about images on web sites (in which case just open Internet Explore twice and resize the windows) or images in your own pc (in which case open two or more at once and resize and relocate as necessary). You do this by opening them one at a time and then putting your curser over the edge of the frame (when it should turn into a double ended arrow) and dragging the frame to the shape/size you want. It works for me on Windows 98 anyway!

Surreybirder said:
Are you talking about images on web sites (in which case just open Internet Explore twice and resize the windows) or images in your own pc (in which case open two or more at once and resize and relocate as necessary). You do this by opening them one at a time and then putting your curser over the edge of the frame (when it should turn into a double ended arrow) and dragging the frame to the shape/size you want. It works for me on Windows 98 anyway!

Thanks for the help,I was mainly talking about images in my PC;I tried your method but it opened each pic in the same frame.Windows XP,using Pic and Fax viewer.

saluki said:
QuickTime has an excellent picture viewer which will allow you to open as many pics as you want on your desktop. When installing it make sure you set it to be your default pic viewer for .jpg, tif, etc:

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Oh, and it also plays movies. And it's free.

saluki
Thanks for the tip.If I can't do it with what I've got,I'll certainly download the Quick Time viewer.

Grousemore said:
Thanks for the help,I was mainly talking about images in my PC;I tried your method but it opened each pic in the same frame.Windows XP,using Pic and Fax viewer.

What software do you use to view images. I am using Internet Explorer just because it's the default MS image viewer. Irfan viewer (another free download) is also good. The problem with making other image viewers the default is that it often seems to over-ride the 'image preview' facility, which is very useful when you want to sort pics. Uninstalling the viewer doesn't seem to restore the image previews.
(If you do use internet explorer, it should be possible to open IE, then click on file > open > browse; and then repeat the process--i.e. open IE again. You can then use the restore button (top right corner between minimize and maximise) to adjust the size.. and then drag the pic around our screen.)
Good luck!

Thanks again for the help all,have now got a far better idea of how to do it.
A bonus was that saluki's suggested software,Quick Time was already on my computer (free from my Nikon C'pix camera)so I can use that at a push;will also try MS Word.

Adobe PS can't be beat for digital manipulation but to view and manage graphics I've found PaintShop Pro very easy to use particularly if I have to compare photos.

Steve

Windows Picture and Fax viewer does definitely not open two documents at a time - when you open a second one it replaces the previous one opened.

Using Word would be a long winded way to view images as you would have to copy and paste each image you wanted to view.

QT might do the trick, but have you any image-editing software at all on your computer? That would be the best thing to use. Did you not get something like Photoshop Lite Edition with the camera?

digi-birder said:
Windows Picture and Fax viewer does definitely not open two documents at a time - when you open a second one it replaces the previous one opened.

Using Word would be a long winded way to view images as you would have to copy and paste each image you wanted to view.

QT might do the trick, but have you any image-editing software at all on your computer? That would be the best thing to use. Did you not get something like Photoshop Lite Edition with the camera?

Hi Diane,QT does work and as I never use it,I didn't realise it was on my computer.
The image-editing software I use is Photoshop Elements,that came with the camera;it looks a bit complicated,but I only use it to crop/re-size.

You don't have to cut and paste to use MS Word - simply insert images inside text boxes next to each other and there you have it. Couldn't be easier!

But you've got PS Elements? Then you have an ideal way to view images side by side using the "Browse" button - just noticed mine isn't working for some reason though!!

scampo said:
But you've got PS Elements? Then you have an ideal way to view images side by side using the "Browse" button - just noticed mine isn't working for some reason though!!

Thanks,Steve,I've just tried it and the Browse feature does the job.As a variation on an expression from another Thread,it's the Dog's Doodahs!
Quick Time was ok,but you couldn't zoom in on each image as you can with PS Elements.
Appreciate the help from all.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back