• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vireo and ?? New York State May 2014 (1 Viewer)

Clive29

A couple that are giving me some trouble.

I'm thinking the first is a Warbling Vireo.. but the second has me baffled.

I'd appreciate your help :t:

Attachments

• M1.jpg
    M1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 67
  • M2.jpg
    M2.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 63
The second is a yellow-rumped warbler of the myrtle subspecies. Not commenting on the vireo since I've learned I don't actually have the ability to tell Philly and warbling apart (but its pretty dull and the eye line isn't strong so probably warbling).

It's helpful to see the chest on a Warbling/Philadelphia Vireo, since the sides of the chests of both are pale yellow, but the breast of Warbling is whiter while the breast of Philadelphia is yellower. However, Philadelphia also shows darker lores (in front of the eye), and the lightness of these looks good for Warbling. Ditto to Yellow-rumped (Myrtle-type) Warbler for #2.

Cheers guys..

I took this next picture 5 minutes later very near the first.. but can't say if it was the same bird. There were a lot about including a few Red Eyed Vireo.
Looked more definitively Warbling Vireo to me.

Attachments

• WV - Copy.jpg
    WV - Copy.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 57
To me both Vireos are Warbling. In the first pic there is a lot of sunlight reflected off leaves giving a a very yellow effect, but both birds lack dark lores and the second photo shows a pale chest. I agree with the Myrtle.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back